Jazzland (1960)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Erskine Hawkins' orchestra 1940...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

This has always been a favourite. "Tippin in." I didn't appreciate that the alto sounded quite so much like Earl Bostic. Funny how Erskine Hawkins is so forgotten these days as well as tenor saxophonist Julian Dash ....

It is a run of the mill big band but I really like this kind of stuff. It does not deserve obscurity.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Intriguing to see how different the feel of this original "tuxedo junction" is to Glenn Miller's more famous remake. It initially sounds little different before gradually changing in the second chorus. I did not realise that it was a real place near the college in Alabama where the band originated from.

Wonder is anyone can guess the other big band leader other than Hawkins who came from Birmingham, Alabama?

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Another old favourite. Sy Oliver is yet another jazz composer / arranger largely forgotten these days. I sometimes wonder if Jimmie Lunceford's band were just satirical and sometimes the joke has been lost with time.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

These Lunceford records were largely made in the 1930s. This is another favourite although the riff at the end always reminds me a bit of Shakey's "Green Door." Whatever happened to Shakey, Wales's Prince of Rock & Roll ? He has never been the same since Viz and the "Wakey Shakey" alarm clock!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

'Destination... Out!' - Jackie McLean
                Jackie McLean with Grachan Moncur II, Bobby Hutcherson, Larry Ridley & Roy Haynes
                Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    If you're going "folk", Karen Dalton, late 1960s playing & singing Tampa Red/Elmore James "It hurts me too". Dylan's favourite female singer at the time, her life ended in booze, heroin, incontinence and the loss of all her teeth. A warning to young people everywhere, but I find her and this strangely moving.

http://youtu.be/H0ZlWK-b_KY
                    That was intensely moving, BN, and prompted me to track down her 1969 album from which it came.
                    Here's a track from her 1962 live album 'Cotton Eyed Joe':

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

Picking up on this, I have to say that this record really reminds me of the folk singer Gillian Welch whose music covers similar territory. I have "Hell amongst the yearlings" somewhere although I have not played it too recently. Some tracks on that disc are fantastic but I always felt a little unsure about Welch. Sometimes she is right on the money whilst there are moments that leave me in doubt. It is a powerful record in some respects and plugs in to the 1930s aesthetic very well. However, I think this music is very much on the periphery of blues and has more in common with the kind of country music picked up by recording companies in the late 20s such as the Carter Family, etc. I am intrigued by this music as it ran parallel with the blues but I don't think it quite captured the imagination quite like the blues artists of that era.

"It huts me too" is oddly one of the tracks on the CD I have been playing all week. It was another disc I picked up after a gig at Vienne and his by the French blues guitarist Nasser Den Dadoo. The "Dog n' Wolf" album is really amazing and also includes covers of Tampa Red, Muddy Waters, JL Hooker and a devastatingly good version of Patton's "Pny Blues. ( Non-pc verses omitted!) I think it was Bluesnik who made a comment a few monthd ago about contemporary blues being poor but I would beg to differ. Nice to hear authentic blues coming from the Deep South, even if that means Marseille! The photos on the album cover make him look like an extra from Peaky Blinders.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

This is the track that I have on repeat. Nice to find that you still have to go on Goggle to understand the lyrics of blues tunes. Charley Patton would have approved.....

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

There is even a Blues video now!!

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Warne Marsh(tenor sax); Lee Konitz(alto sax); Don Elliot(mellophone); Billy Taylor(piano); Mundell Lowe(guitar); Ed Safranski(bass) & Ed Thigpen(drums) playing 'Half Nelson' in 1958:

Warne Marsh - tenor sax, Lee Konitz, alto sax, Don Eilliot - mellophone, Billy Taylor, piano, Mundell Lowe - guitar, Ed Safranski, bass, Ed Thigpen, drums.Ap...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Eric Dolphy documentary, 'The Last Date'(1991):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X