• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Allan Holdsworth also played violin sometimes; do you happen to know of any recordings with him on it, Joseph?
    No, sorry.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      No, sorry.
      He may of course have dropped the instrument in his later years to concentrate on his main instrument(s); I was just going on a Peter Clayton remark in introducing the Allan Holdsworth/Ray Warleigh Quintet on a 1973 or 4 broadcast, of which I was very lucky to be given a cassette, albeit slightly worn - a double session of which the first half was Gilgamesh.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Just to follow up on Ian's fine Kate McGarry clip, Christine Tobin interpreting Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows" in fine company, and her old man on the geetar.

If you're going "folk", Karen Dalton, late 1960s playing & singing Tampa Red/Elmore James "It hurts me too". Dylan's favourite female singer at the time, her life ended in booze, heroin, incontinence and the loss of all her teeth. A warning to young people everywhere, but I find her and this strangely moving.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Mike Westbrook's Brass Band playing 'Mama Chicago' with Kate Westbrook, Phil Minton, Alan Wakeman, Chris Biscoe, Malcolm Griffiths, Steve Cook & Dave Barry,
          I remember this wonderful film being shown on BBC TV in the early 1980s and was glad to discover that a DVD is now available:

An excerpt from the new Gonzo DVD of the Mike Westbrook Brass Band's "Mama Chicago", a Jazz Cabaret , featuring the voices of Kate Westbrook and Phil Minton...

JR

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Allan Holdsworth also played violin sometimes; do you happen to know of any recordings with him on it, Joseph?
            Allan Holdsworth plays violin towards the end of this track, 'Temporary Fault':

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

‘Silver's Serenade’ - Horace Silver
              Horace Silver with Blue Mitchell, Junior Cook, Gene Taylor & Roy Brooks
              Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                Mike Westbrook's Brass Band playing 'Mama Chicago' with Kate Westbrook, Phil Minton, Alan Wakeman, Chris Biscoe, Malcolm Griffiths, Steve Cook & Dave Barry,
                I remember this wonderful film being shown on BBC TV in the early 1980s and was glad to discover that a DVD is now available:

An excerpt from the new Gonzo DVD of the Mike Westbrook Brass Band's "Mama Chicago", a Jazz Cabaret , featuring the voices of Kate Westbrook and Phil Minton...

JR
                Really useful since I was unaware of this film, only having acquired my very first TV in 1984! - Wonderful, and thanks JR!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Allan Holdsworth plays violin towards the end of this track, 'Temporary Fault':

JR
                  IOU was recorded in 1982, so, quite early on in Holdsworth's career, then.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Eliane Elias - ‘I Thought About You’ (‘A Tribute To Chet Baker‘)
                    (2013) Concord

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Anthony Braxton with Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous & Jack DeJohnette playing 'Impressions' at Woodstock J.F., 1981:

Anthony Braxton play Impressions - John Coltrane - Woodstock Jazz Festival

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘Nice an' Cool’ - Gene Ammons
                        Gene Ammons with Richard Wylands, Doug Watkins & JC Heard
                        Moodsville (1961)

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Anthony Braxton with Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous & Jack DeJohnette playing 'Impressions' at Woodstock J.F., 1981:

Anthony Braxton play Impressions - John Coltrane - Woodstock Jazz Festival

JR

It's a pity we don't get to hear Corea's nor anyone elses's solo.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

It's a pity we don't get to hear Corea's nor anyone elses's solo.
                            Have to say, that recording didn't really work for me, when it first came out - which, iirc, was a few years after the event. I think the "Impressions" track was played in its entirety on a broadcast at the time, and I taped it onto cassette, which I would still have. Maybe time to wheel out for a re-assessment.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Have to say, that recording didn't really work for me, when it first came out - which, iirc, was a few years after the event. I think the "Impressions" track was played in its entirety on a broadcast at the time, and I taped it onto cassette, which I would still have. Maybe time to wheel out for a re-assessment.
                              Possibly this:

Woodstock Jazz Festival. Jack DeJohnette, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny, Anthony Braxton, Lee Konitz, Miroslav Vitous

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Thanks Joseph. It was just one part of the much larger event that I remember now. Must give that a listen - there are some very amusing comments below the link!

Comment

Working...
                                X