• Oct 2017

Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple
      Now Et Cetera. The opening number is quite a funky thing.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Wayne Shorter - The Soothsayer

EDIT: The title track and 'The Big Push' are really something. Great stuff.
        Last edited by Joseph K; 01-08-19, 20:28.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Walt Dickerson(vibes) with Andrew Hill, George Tucker & Andrew Cyrille playing 'To My Queen' in 1962:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Dippin'’
            Hank Mobley with Lee Morgan, Harold Mabern Jr, Larry Ridley & Billy Higgins
            Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Sonny Stitt, Howard McGhee, J.J.Johnson, Walter Bishop, Tommy Potter & Kenny Clarke playing Charlie Parker's 'Buzzy' in 1965(?):

"Buzzy" (Charlie Parker).Sonny Stitt Alto Sax,Howard McGhee Trumpet,JJ Johnson Trombone,Walter Bishop Piano.Tommy Potter Bass,Kenny Clarke Drums.This clip w...

JR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

I have been playing Ken Vandermark's "Target or flag" for the last few days in my car. It is pretty incredible, not only for the rigor and toughness of the music but also for the fact that the two other main soloists, saxophonist Mars Williams and trombonist / guitarist Jeb Bishop are exceptional too. I am at a loss why these two musicians are not wider known although Williams also performs with rocks groups. Bishop is probably my favourite contemporary trombonist.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

‘The Rat Race Blues’
                  Gigi Gryce with Mickey Roker, Richard Gene Williams, Richard Rylands & Reggie Workman
                  New Jazz (1960)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Max Roach 4 Plays Charlie Parker in 1957/58 with Kenny Dorham, George Coleman or Hank Mobley, Nelson Boyd or George Morrow:

Max Roach - drums....Kenny Dorham - trumpet....George Coleman (# 3, 4 & 6), Hank Mobley (# 1, 2, 5 & 7-10) - tenor saxophone....Nelson Boyd (# 3, 4 & 6), Geo...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

The "record collection" scene from "Diner" (1982)! Familiar? "Who is Charlie Parker? WHO IS CHARLIE PARKER?!!!"
                      Been there!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                        The "record collection" scene from "Diner" (1982)! Familiar? "Who is Charlie Parker? WHO IS CHARLIE PARKER?!!!"
                        Been there!
                        http://youtu.be/UpIT1W5wf-0
                        That's wonderful, on so any levels, isn't it?

The guy, with his devotion to his icons; his female partner, who in all probability thinks: typical bloke, drowning in his world of categories where everything, categories included, is all so unstable and provisional, and don't I know it?

Him thinking, why can't women reason the way we do? Why can't they appreciate that the world would never have accommodated us without our being able to simplify everything down to numbers, categories, and hierarchies of categories, like my record collection, in order to be able to deal with them one-by-one?

She thinking, and isn't it just this overthinking things placed in boxes, in order to control everything, that is the basis of most if not all the problems of the world?

Both would in part have been right - but in 1982 she (the collective "she") would not have had an equal say in the matter. He would have seen to that.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          That's wonderful, on so any levels, isn't it?

The guy, with his devotion to his icons; his female partner, who in all probability thinks: typical bloke, drowning in his world of categories where everything, categories included, is all so unstable and provisional, and don't I know it?

Him thinking, why can't women reason the way we do? Why can't they appreciate that the world would never have accommodated us without our being able to simplify everything down to numbers, categories, and hierarchies of categories, like my record collection, in order to be able to deal with them one-by-one?

She thinking, and isn't it just this overthinking things placed in boxes, in order to control everything, that is the basis of most if not all the problems of the world?

Both would in part have been right - but in 1982 she (the collective "she") would not have had an equal say in the matter. He would have seen to that.
                          One of the comments below the line says that when he starts shouting at her, she should have just quietly walked over and elbowed all his shelves and records to the ground. Then kicked him HARD in the nuts, and strolled back to painting her nails! I have some sympathy with that feminist response.

What's even funnier ("the obsessive jazz fans") on Organissimo are debating the scene in terms of what records he has! "You wouldn't see Kind of Blue in 1958"...and which albums SHOULD be in which section!

BN.

Comment

• burning dog
                            • Dec 2010

What's even funnier ("the obsessive jazz fans") on Organissimo are debating the scene in terms of what records he has! "You wouldn't see Kind of Blue in 1958"...and which albums SHOULD be in which section!

BN.
                            It is pretty cool to be able to locate a specific cd. I've been going through my Dad's collection and he ended, most sensibly IMO, with simple alphabetical order, ie. Ray Charles followed by Marc-Antoine Charpentier . His vinyl (old stuff) is divided into two sections jazz/blues/popular and classical though. Think I will follow his example with the former.

I remember re the film The "Talented Mr Ripley", set in the late 50's I think, similar conversations to Organissimo , a character buys a Coltrane record from the Prestige era and there is a latter day Miles Davis record on the shelves. Disgraceful !!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

One of the guys on Organissimo said you know when you're really got "problems" (and should seek help) when you have a "Mosaic" room and a "Verve" room and a "Bluenote" room and a "Impulse!" room etc etc etc...and probably when the floor caves in...

I stick to, "it's over there with that batch on that rack (somewhere)". Although all my Jackie McLean's are neatly indexed. "Art thrives amid chaos!" - Miro.

BN.

Comment

• burning dog
                                • Dec 2010

One of the guys on Organissimo said you know when you're really got "problems" (and should seek help) when you have a "Mosaic" room and a "Verve" room and a "Bluenote" room and a "Impulse!" room etc etc etc...and probably when the floor caves in...

I stick to, "it's over there with that batch on that rack (somewhere)". Although all my Jackie McLean's are neatly indexed. "Art thrives amid chaos!" - Miro.

BN.

With me, and most I would guess, there's a varied stack of "stuff to play again soon" and "new things" on the floor/side table in no particluar order. Would have thought only a DJ would need more than a one time alphabetical order which has gone wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X