• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cghFROpxKHo

Mike Stern and Nelson Faria play Stella. Good stuff.
    Much preferable to drinking it!!!

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Much preferable to drinking it!!!

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

John Coltrane Quintet at the Konserthuset, Stockholm on November 23, 1961 with Eric Dolphy, McCoy Tyner, Reggie Workman & Elvin Jones.
        Great flute solo from Dolphy starting at 7:56:

JR
        Last edited by Jazzrook; 29-07-19, 13:51.

Comment

• burning dog
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          John Coltrane Quintet at the Konserhuset, Stockholm on November 23, 1961 with Eric Dolphy, McCoy Tyner, Reggie Workman & Elvin Jones.

JR
          Very close in time to the the only (?) UK concert of that band - Gamount State Kilburn, Nov 1961. Much has been made of how unpopular this gig was with a section of the audience but accoridng to legend there was a lot more hostility, raucous booing and some counter-cheering at a French concert on that tour (not sure where I read that). My father did not attend the Coltrane despite living locally - Coltrane was only just becoming famous/notorious at that time. Both my parents attended the Gillespie and the Miles Davis (with Sonny Stitt) gigs of that era.

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            John Coltrane Quintet at the Konserhuset, Stockholm on November 23, 1961 with Eric Dolphy, McCoy Tyner, Reggie Workman & Elvin Jones.

JR
            Very close in time to the the only (?) UK concert of that band - Gamount State Kilburn, Nov 1961. Much has been made of how unpopular the London gig was with a section of the audience but according to legend there was a lot more hostility, raucous booing and some counter-cheering, at a French concert on that tour (not sure where I read that). My father did not attend the Coltrane despite living locally - Coltrane was only just becoming famous/notorious at that time. Both my parents attended the Gillespie and the Miles Davis (with Sonny Stitt) gigs (1960) of that era. Evidently Jimmy Heath was Miles's first choice for the 1960 tour
            Last edited by burning dog; 29-07-19, 11:38.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

‘Cannonball Adderley's Fiddler on the Roof’
              Cannonball Adderley with Nat Adderley, Charles Lloyd, Joe Zawinul, Sam Jones & Louis Hayes
              Capitol (1964)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                Very close in time to the the only (?) UK concert of that band - Gamount State Kilburn, Nov 1961. Much has been made of how unpopular the London gig was with a section of the audience but according to legend there was a lot more hostility, raucous booing and some counter-cheering, at a French concert on that tour (not sure where I read that). My father did not attend the Coltrane despite living locally - Coltrane was only just becoming famous/notorious at that time. Both my parents attended the Gillespie and the Miles Davis (with Sonny Stitt) gigs (1960) of that era. Evidently Jimmy Heath was Miles's first choice for the 1960 tour
                Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Coltrane play a venue in Walthamstow at that time? I seem to recall quite a number of British jazz musicians speaking of being in attendance and being knocked out by the experience, including Alan Skidmore and Evan Parker. A few new directions were being charted that night for our guys to take up.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  ‘Cannonball Adderley's Fiddler on the Roof’
                  Cannonball Adderley with Nat Adderley, Charles Lloyd, Joe Zawinul, Sam Jones & Louis Hayes
                  Capitol (1964)
                  That band with Charles Lloyd did a BBC Jazz 625, which I believe is available on youtube. Amazing to think that Charles Lloyd, who was hardly known about at that time, would become famous for a) having the gall to play JAZZ at one of the big rock venues Stateside in 1967, when the hippies were said to have ditched jazz in droves; b) for effectively introducing the world to Keith Jarrett, his pianist; and c) being (I think) the first American band to play in the USSR; and that Joe Zawinul would go on to play on Miles's "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew" and co-originate arguably the finest of the Fusion bands to emerge in the 1970s, Weather Report.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Coltrane play a venue in Walthamstow at that time? I seem to recall quite a number of British jazz musicians speaking of being in attendance and being knocked out by the experience, including Alan Skidmore and Evan Parker. A few new directions were being charted that night for our guys to take up.
                    Evan Parker, John Edwards and John Russell in 2016(performing at the Wild Card Brewery in Walthamstow)On 17th November 1961, John Coltrane played at the Granada Theatre in Walthamstow, North East L…

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Thanx - that's the one.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Currently listening to Julian Lage's album 'Modern Lore' which is on youtube. The first track was ok but it's a bit MOR, like instrumental indie music... sort of bland, while I'd call this 'fusion' in the sense that Lage comes from the jazz tradition but this you'd probably class as rock with aspects of jazz - not many aspects though... for one, there is very little in the way of swing - there is improvisation though. Unlike albums of fusion like John McLaughlin, where it's very dramatic and profound, here Lage is a bit twee, for me at least. Also I'd say McLaughlin will swing over rock rhythms, likewise Mike Stern (think of Chromazone) and what's more, fusion people like Allan Holdsworth will have extraordinarily colourful harmony, but Lage doesn't appear to be interested in that - like I say, it's sort of like indie but with a touch (just a touch) more sophistication (maybe - I've heard it described like this - you'd call it 'Americana'?) … well, I guess compartmentalisation doesn't matter, but I am trying to relate it to other stuff. Also, I preferred his earlier tone with a hollowbody guitar, compared to this, with a trebly Telecaster. Oh well. He's still a great player with considerable gifts...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                          Currently listening to Julian Lage's album 'Modern Lore' which is on youtube. The first track was ok but it's a bit MOR, like instrumental indie music... sort of bland, while I'd call this 'fusion' in the sense that Lage comes from the jazz tradition but this you'd probably class as rock with aspects of jazz - not many aspects though... for one, there is very little in the way of swing - there is improvisation though. Unlike albums of fusion like John McLaughlin, where it's very dramatic and profound, here Lage is a bit twee, for me at least. Also I'd say McLaughlin will swing over rock rhythms, likewise Mike Stern (think of Chromazone) and what's more, fusion people like Allan Holdsworth will have extraordinarily colourful harmony, but Lage doesn't appear to be interested in that - like I say, it's sort of like indie but with a touch (just a touch) more sophistication (maybe - I've heard it described like this - you'd call it 'Americana'?) … well, I guess compartmentalisation doesn't matter, but I am trying to relate it to other stuff. Also, I preferred his earlier tone with a hollowbody guitar, compared to this, with a trebly Telecaster. Oh well. He's still a great player with considerable gifts...
                          Joe

I have his "Love hurts" on order which has received some good reviews. Someone explained to me that if you like Frisell, Lage will appeal too. The latest album has had some good reviews and I must admit that he was more impressive than Mary Halvorson during the John Zorn gig I caught earlier in the month. I am not a fan of fusion guitarists like McLaughlin, Stern and especially Holdsworth where the shadow of Rock is perhaps too strong. The production values tend to veer towards Adult -orientated rock with some fusion and it tends to sound great on first listen before quickly losing it's appeal. Lage performed an acoustic duet with fellow guitarist Gyan Riley which was the best bit of the whole gig. Zorn is a bit of marmite performer but likely to be off your radar if you like Fusion.

Currently listening to the CD "Ambar" by guitarist / singer Camila Meza. Quite interesting to hear a guitar / bass / drums trio with a chamber string trio. I think she comes from Chile and I was intrigued by the comparisons with the singer Gretchen Parlato. Meza lacks the latter's nasal quality but I can appreciate the comparison. Her voice is an impressive instrument and the music is firmly in the contemporary jazz camp as opposed to someone singing standards - the closest to which the disc offers is Nascimento's 2Milagre do Piexes" which, I suppose, is a Brazilian standard. The disc is pretty impressive - too outside to be considered pop but a long, long way from the kind of vocal jazz produced by the likes of Ella. Maybe the closest singer within the mainstream would be Sheila Jordan although Meza's voice is a purer instrument. An interesting record.

Comment

• burning dog
                            • Dec 2010

Yes my mistake, they played quite a few gigs in the UK but Kilburn was the first. It earned a review which described the music as "bemusing".

The Kilburn gig was the first after the Village Vanguard performances that were recorded and released as "Live at the Village Vanguard" and earned the infamous "anti-jazz" review

PS Found this article on Coltrane's European tour. My dad never mentioned seeing Coltrane live (Somehow think he would have mentioned it!) so they must have seen Gillespie another time

Puzzled how they went from Acton to Walthamstow by tube in 1961 .
                            LAst leg on BR in those days. Sorry tube anorak speaking
                            Last edited by burning dog; 30-07-19, 04:51.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

I went on a workshop nearly 30 years ago and Don Rendell commented about being at one of these gigs. From recollection, I seem to also recall him talking about a Lester Young gig too.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

John Coltrane Quintet playing Victor Young's 'Delilah' in Copenhagen on November 20, 1961.
                                As far as I know this is the only recording of 'Delilah' by Coltrane:

John Coltrane Quintet (and Quartet) in Copenhagen 19611) Delilah (Victor Young)2) Every Time We Say Goodbye (Cole Porter)Personnel: John Coltrane (soprano sa...

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X