Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Yep, I had my "sixth form" LP copy for years on UK London American, from Atlantic? Mine became scratched to hell over time but still playable. Just. I've now got the Jazz Classics remaster which has a bonus three TV show Monk tracks by the band, but Sam Dockery back in on piano. From 1957. I've also got a tape of Nesuhi Ertegün who produced it describing the all night session... extremely worried about his mikes getting knocked over by Monk and Nica's in-take dancing around the studio!

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      I'm currently listening to a video of a Kurt Rosenwinkel clinic. His chord vocabulary on playing a blues sounds simultaneously fresh and yet definitely grounded in jazz tradition... there must be precedents for his playing, I can think of Joe Pass (and on another clinic he mentions George van Eps) but Rosenwinkel is more relaxed in his phrasing, and his voice leading concepts and harmonic devices are all very hip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ox3Mfby2I&t=55s
      Nearing the end of this video, I find it very heartening to hear Rosenwinkel mention how useful it was learning the Bach lute suites - particularly the finger mechanics involved... so it wasn't a complete waste of time! He even used the same edition as me. 1:23:30

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘A Fickle Sonance’

Jackie McLean with Tommy Turrentine, Sonny Clark, Butch Warren & Billy Higgins
        Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘Midnight Blue’
          Kenny Burrell with Stanley Turrentine, Major Holley, Bill English & Ray Barretto
          Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Playing begins at 2:14Julian Lage and Mike Moreno jamming at the end of the Guitar Workshop at the Stanford Jazz Residency 2012. Sorry for the shaky camera a...

Julian Lage and Mike Moreno play All the Things You Are, Body and Soul and Out of Nowhere.

Highly recommended, great stuff.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

John Coltrane, Impressions from Newport '63 - again. Yes, I've previously mentioned this, but it is a very special performance indeed, quite breath-taking, and although it might have something to do with Roy Haynes on drums, I really think Coltrane is on fire, his tone is something else, as is always with Coltrane at this stage in his life, but especially more so here, he sounds possessed and especially focussed with a powerful, imperious tone, an outer-space sensibility, he is absolutely flying and it takes this listener with him. He really is something else...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Sonny Rollins' 1966 album 'East Broadway Rundown'(Impulse!) with Freddie Hubbard, Jimmy Garrison & Elvin Jones:

Sonny Rollins, Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison, Freddie HubbardMay 9th, 1966.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

"We kiss in a shadow", the "ballad" from that album is wonderful and one I've always thought about requesting on JRR.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    "We kiss in a shadow", the "ballad" from that album is wonderful and one I've always thought about requesting on JRR.
                    Me too, BN. It's a great track from an overlooked album which deserves an airing on JRR.
                    So, go ahead and request it.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                      Me too, BN. It's a great track from an overlooked album which deserves an airing on JRR.
                      So, go ahead and request it.

JR
                      I've got a Coltrane/Kenny Burrell duo track hopefully pending...this week? And I need to do an Ellington JRR for a close friend's September birthday, but is she's "bendable" to Newk, Jim and Elvin, I will do so!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                        Sonny Rollins' 1966 album 'East Broadway Rundown'(Impulse!) with Freddie Hubbard, Jimmy Garrison & Elvin Jones:

Sonny Rollins, Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison, Freddie HubbardMay 9th, 1966.

JR
                        Not having heard this album before, it's interesting hearing Rollins as the "odd man out" and Freddie H taking almost the Coltrane role. Maybe my aural receptivities aren't functioning right following a near-sleepless night. It wasn't the first time Sonny had played with Elvin of course - that association may even have predated the Coltrane one? The opening theme almost has a Shepp/NYC5 character to it. Was the entire LP only 20+ minutes long?

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Not having heard this album before, it's interesting hearing Rollins as the "odd man out" and Freddie H taking almost the Coltrane role. Maybe my aural receptivities aren't functioning right following a near-sleepless night. It wasn't the first time Sonny had played with Elvin of course - that association may even have predated the Coltrane one? The opening theme almost has a Shepp/NYC5 character to it. Was the entire LP only 20+ minutes long?
                          Apart from the 20-minute 'East Broadway Rundown' there are two other tracks: Rollins 'Blessing In Disguise'(12:21) & 'We Kiss In A Shadow'(5:36) from 'The King and I'.
                          I only recently acquired a newish copy(for around £3!) and hear more every time I play it.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

No, East broadway Rundown (20.26), Blessing in disguise (12.23) We kiss in a shadow (5.37). It's never got great reviews, Rollins & the Trane crew never *quite* gelling, he a more legato player? "No kind of dream match for the leader" (Cook/Morton). But I've grown to like it much more down the years, especially THAT ballad. Btw, someone has posted just that track on YouTube with a clip of Claudia Cardinale, from "Girl with a Suitcase". That's a plus in itself!

Comment

• Quarky
                              • Dec 2010

Evan Parker "Birds" - with Pheasant outside the window chiming in -

Courtesy Cafe Oto Magazine - Resonance FM

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

Seja um membro do nosso canal e tenha acesso a videos e lives exclusivas!https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC8sjLWfha4fPIgQXIT5tcQ/joinConhece nossa Playlist ...

Mike Stern and Nelson Faria play Stella. Good stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X