• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

‘My Conception’

Sonny Clarke with:
    Donald Byrd, Hank Mobley, Paul Chambers, Art Blakey (tracks 1-6)
    Clifford Jordan, Kenny Burrell & Pete LaRoca (tracks 7-9)
    Blue Note (1957 & 59)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

These were amazing words – “greatest idols” – from a blonde white guy at a time in American history when Wolf might have been refused service at many restaurants in the South."

All credit.

BN.
      Even more amazing when "British" is inserted between "blonde" and "white".

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Even more amazing when "British" is inserted between "blonde" and "white".
        It's great (and historic) piece of film, with Wolf making the most of it. Btw the fine blues pianist, who I thought for years was Wolf regular Henry Grey, was in fact BILLY PRESTON, who was part of the programme's house band. The guitar appears to be James Burton of Rick Nelson, Elvis et all fame.

BN

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXjTxC-HbKY

'Solar' performed by Pat Matheny, Herbie Hancock, Dave Holland and Jack DeJohnette.
          This again. It's really rather excellent.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Here to Stay’

Freddie Hubbard with Wayne Shorter, Cedar Walton, Reggie Workman & Philly Joe Jones
            Blue Note (1962)

'The Vision's Tale'
            Courtney Pine with Ellis Marsalis, Delbert Felix & Jeff Watts
            Island Antilles (1994)
            Last edited by Stanfordian; 27-06-19, 13:21.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Walt Dickerson(vibes); Sun Ra(piano); Bob Cunningham(bass) & Roger Blank(drums) playing 'Bacon and Eggs' from the rare 1965 album 'Impressions Of A Patch Of Blue':

Bass – Bob CunninghamDrums – Roger BlankPiano – Sun RaVibraphone – Walt DickersonProducer – Tom Wilson MGM Records

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Mike Stern - Standards (and other songs)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

‘Screamin'’

Brother Jack McDuff with Leo Wright, Joe Dukes & Kenny Burrell
                  Prestige (1962)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

Tubby Hayes with Jimmy Deuchar, Gordon Beck, Freddy Logan & Allan Hanley playing Horace Silver's 'Yeah!' live at Ronnie Scott's, 1962:

[1380] YEAH! @ LATE SPOT AT SCOTT'S - TUBBY HAYES [音楽・サウンド] WebSite of the embedded:http://blacktube.tank.jp/

JR

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Monty Alexander, who has been mentioned quite often on here, was involved in the early Ska movement - something I hadn't realised. The is from 1961, and must be one of the earliest Ska recordings, I would think:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

The word SKAZZ has more recently been used to classify Jazz Jamaica and similar bands, of whom there are a number led by young black musicians around London right now.

PS I discovered the above on the Viola Fair History of Music section devoted to jazz between 1960 and 1970:

Viola Fair History of Music & Recording: Birth of Modern Jazz 9: Musicians 1960 to 1970: International. Chronological discography of early modern jazz instrumentation around the globe per musicians whose first recordings were released in the sixties. First record issues, et al.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

I have been enjoying Bill Frisell's "Music is" which I felt was the best new album I acquired last year. It is a solo album and takes things beyond his previous solo album "Ghost Town" which always struck me as being one of the most creative records he produced in the 1990s. If anything, "Music is" is a better album, the disc consisting of originals although a good proportion of these are tunes he has recorded before and something like "Frisell standards." It was good to hear "In line" revisited from his debut album but it is the first take of the blues "Rambler" that impresses me with a new dissonant counter-melody which , at first, seems to have little bearing to the tune and then evolves to become the central motif. I have always like Frisell's playing although I missed a lot of his work throughout the 2010s as there seemed to have been a dip in the creative process. His recent work with Tom Morgan and this solo album suggest he is now entering a period of creativity and I feel that "Music is" may be considered his strongest musical statement outside of Paul Motian's trio. The music is intelligent and really focused.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

‘The Blues and the Abstract Truth’

Oliver Nelson Septet (with Freddie Hubbard, Eric Dolphy, George Barrow, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, Roy Haynes
                            Impulse! (1961)

'The Vision's Tale'
                            Island Antilles (1994)
                            Last edited by Stanfordian; 27-06-19, 13:21.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post

‘The Blues and the Abstract Truth’

Oliver Nelson Septet (with Freddie Hubbard, Eric Dolphy, George Barrow, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers, Roy Haynes
                              Impulse! (1961)

'The Vision's Tale'
                              Island Antilles (1994)
                              What do you think of these records?

Here - Miles Davis - Filles de Kilimanjaro. I love this album!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                                What do you think of these records?

Here - Miles Davis - Filles de Kilimanjaro. I love this album!
                                Hiya Joseph K,

I know very little about jazz. - I only play jazz music I enjoy - I love both of these albums.
                                Last edited by Stanfordian; 27-06-19, 14:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X