A rare interview with Thelonious Monk conducted by bassist Jacques Hess:

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      A rare interview with Thelonious Monk conducted by bassist Jacques Hess:

JR
      Thanks JR. Monk was to be lauded for his patience! Out of simple courtesy you would think that Hess would have addressed Monk in English and provided the French viewers with subtitles - for a later transmission.

Did anybody watch that documentary on Ginger Baker the other week on BBC4? From an interviewing pov Ginger might not be the easiest man to deal with, but they could at least have found someone other than the prat they used for the job!

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Thanks JR. Monk was to be lauded for his patience! Out of simple courtesy you would think that Hess would have addressed Monk in English and provided the French viewers with subtitles - for a later transmission.

Did anybody watch that documentary on Ginger Baker the other week on BBC4? From an interviewing pov Ginger might not be the easiest man to deal with, but they could at least have found someone other than the prat they used for the job!
        Monk's biographer, Robin D.G. Kelley wrote that "The interview is telling in that Hess is less fascinated by Monk's 'alternate universe' or his 'impulsive creativity' than in portraying him as an historical relic. Hess first asks him about Ellington's influence which Monk debunked - insisting as he always had that the influences on his music can never be reduced to one person.
        This slightly annoyed Hess, who then asked about the music he and Charlie Parker created and all Monk could say is that he taught him how to play certain songs and showed him voicings. Throughout Monk is respectful, comfortable and grinning for the camera but his impatience is palpable."

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

I've always thought that interview was very funny for all the reasons mentioned. Monk deadpan and interviewer fruitlessly trying to send him down the "correct path". There's another Monk clip where he and Johnny Griffin are on a train in Denmark (I think), and Monk becomes fascinated by Griffin's brand new trousers, check as I also remember. Funny for different reasons.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Btw, talking of interviews, I've just been listening to an audio only interview with Lester Bowie from around the late 70s, talking about his influences. "Kenny Dorham first woke me up, he threw water over me" (metaphorically), "then Freddie Hubbard slapped me in the face" (metaphorically), "and finally Miles kicked me in the ass" (metaphorically too, I assume). Good to hear Kenny get a mention, he's very much the trumpet players trumpet player.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              I've always thought that interview was very funny for all the reasons mentioned. Monk deadpan and interviewer fruitlessly trying to send him down the "correct path". There's another Monk clip where he and Johnny Griffin are on a train in Denmark (I think), and Monk becomes fascinated by Griffin's brand new trousers, check as I also remember. Funny for different reasons.
              Here's that 'Griffin's trousers' clip, BN, from the film 'Straight No Chaser', I think:

From The Dolcumentary -- Straight , No Chaser --- Thelonius Monk.... Those pants are some bad MF's

JR

Comment

• Stunsworth
                • Nov 2010

Don Rendell, Ian Carr Quintet: Phase III

Superb LP reissue on the Jazzman label...

Steve

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Thelonious Monk Quartet at the Salle Pleyel, Paris on December 15, 1969 with Charlie Rouse, Nate Hygelund(bass) & Paris Wright(drums):

The Thelonious Monk concert film "Paris 1969" features the legendary pianist & composer in a triumphant performance with his Quartet at the Salle Pleyel conc...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Cool Blues’
                    Jimmy Smith with Lou Donaldson, Tina Brooks, Eddie McFadden, Donald Bailey & Art Blakey
                    Blue Note (1958)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

My niece and nephew bought me the new Angelique Kidjo CD for my birthday and I have been playing this all weekend. It is absolutely brilliant. The album is called "Celia" and features a number of tunes associated with Celia Cruz with the intention of bringing the music back to Africa. I really like this album which features a horn section from Africa plus more jazz orientated musicians such as Meshell Ngedeocello and Shabacka Hutchings & the Sons of Kemet. There isn't 't a great deal of his saxophone on the disc and he is limited to a role similar where he sounds like Manu Dibango.

Weirdly, the musicians were all recorded in separate studios before being mixed. I don't think I am aware of a whole album being done like this although it is not necessarily apparent. I suppose if cuts down on the carbon footprint.

Don't think you can go wrong with Angelique.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

At the risk of upsetting the odd jazz anorak, Zappa: Roxy by Proxy (1973). Perhaps the tuning's a bit too close for jazz.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘Moanin'’
                          Art Blakey with Lee Morgan, Benny Golson, Bobby Timmons & Jymie Merritt
                          Blue Note (1958) - A true ‘classic’ - I love the title track!

Comment

• burning dog
                            • Dec 2010

And Blues March ! There's a live version of this where Lee Morgan is brilliant, very simple phrases but wonderfully placed

PS Cant find it - there is a video but its not one of those Iv'e found from that era (w Wayne S). It was in Tokyo or Paris but Blakey was well recorded in both those cities. On the tracks I've recently found Morgan quotes from Peter and the Wolf in various degrees but not in in the version i have in mind
                            Last edited by burning dog; 21-05-19, 15:02.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                              And Blues March ! There's a live version of this where Lee Morgan is brilliant, very simple phrases but wonderfully placed

PS Cant find it - there is a video but its not one of those Iv'e found from that era (w Wayne S). It was in Tokyo or Paris but Blakey was well recorded in both those cities. On the tracks I've recently found Morgan quotes from Peter and the Wolf in various degrees but not in in the version i have in mind
                              Hiya burning dog,

Not a big fan of 'Blues March' for some reason but I'm no jazz expert. I'm an admirer of Lee Morgan though.
                              Last edited by Stanfordian; 21-05-19, 21:20.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

'Standards and Other Songs' - Mike Stern

Comment

Working...
                                X