Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Joe Henderson's 1968 album 'Straight No Chaser'(Verve) with Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Jimmy Cobb:
    Straight, No Chaser is the second album by jazz saxophonist Joe Henderson. It was recorded on April 21, 1968.Straight, No Chaser (Monk)Joe Henderson: SaxWynt...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘The Waiting Game’

Tina Brooks with Kenny Drew, Wilbar Ware & Philly Joe Jones
      Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post

‘The Waiting Game’
        Timely choice, Stan, given that it's now all been postponed until the 31st October!

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Timely choice, Stan, given that it's now all been postponed until the 31st October!
          'The Waiting Game' by Tina Brooks is one of my favourite jazz albums! Although timely, its appearance on this board is purely coincidental and nothing to do with Brexit.

I could have chosen the Tina Brooks' album 'True Blue' but it might jar to much, or maybe even the opening track from his album 'Minor Move' which is 'Nutville'.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            'The Waiting Game' by Tina Brooks is one of my favourite jazz albums! Although timely, its appearance on this board is purely coincidental and nothing to do with Brexit.

I could have chosen the Tina Brooks' album 'True Blue' but it might jar to much, or maybe even the opening track from his album 'Minor Move' which is 'Nutville'.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Thelonious Monk at Newport, 1963 playing 'Nutty' with Charlie Rouse(tenor sax); Pee Wee Russell(clarinet); Butch Warren(bass) & Frankie Dunlop(drums):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

‘Sketches of Spain’

Miles Davis & band, arranged and conducted by Gil Evans
                Columbia (1959/60)

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

Herbie Hancock All Stars - The New Standards

The New Standards LIVENew York Minute 0:30Norwegian Wood 23:05Thieves In The Temple 33:46Herbie Hancock: pianoMichael Brecker: tenor saxophoneJohn Scofield: ...

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

recently:

Ole Coltrane. John Coltrane

John Dankworth Orchestra. Live at Newport 1959.

Both albums that I have enjoyed immensely.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Peter King playing the GRAFTON alto sax of Charlie Parker:

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

http://https://youtu.be/fpSP_a5XdNQ

"Ballad for Bernt" from Polanski's "Knife in the Water", by the Krzyszrof Komeda Qrt, with Bernt Rosegren,Tenor Sax.

A tenor ballad for JRR?

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

"Ballad for Bernt" from Polanski's "Knife in the Water", by the Krzyszrof Komeda Qrt, with Bernt Rosegren,Tenor Sax.

A tenor ballad for JRR?
                          Funny you should say that, Bluesie. It is on my shortlist for a request for that very spot - but mine is the version from Tomasz Stanko's CD "Litania". Just a simple, heartfelt ballad; reminiscing about an old friend. And, despite ECM's reputation for clinical perfection sound-wise, Manfred released the take with the reed squeak on the short double-time passage in Bernt Rosengren's solo. That just makes it more endearing.

Last edited by Tenor Freak; 13-04-19, 12:49. Reason: Vandoren ZZ 2.5 is where it's at
                          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

They are both great, YOU go for it, I can line something else up. 60s/70s Polish jazz had some remarkable stuff once they got into it.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

A tenor ballad for JRR?
                              I recently sent in a request for Krzysztof Komeda's haunting 'Kattorna' from his 1965 album 'Astigmatic'. KK died 50 years ago on April 23, 1969.
                              That beautiful track 'Ballad For Bernt' would sound great on JRR.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                                • Dec 2010

I was going to request it for a close friend, she got me back into watching European cinema in a big way, and whatever one thinks about Polanski's "morals", "Knife in the Water" is a classic film. The album of Komeda's early film work, "Crazy Girl" is wonderful.

I'll think of something else, didn't Jackie McLean record the original theme from "Mutiny on the Buses"? The scene where Reg Varney overdoses on smack on the Number 25.

Comment

Working...
                                X