Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

This link is to a BBC broadcast from 1974 of Barbara Thompson's band Jubiaba, which was formed a couple of years or so before Paraphernalia, and ran concurrently until about 1978. Tracklisting and personnel are shown. The recording quality is exceptionally good, as is the performance, but the URL is very long, and although I found this on another site, I'm not sure it's authorised for transcription. So, if the link doesn't work, I'll delete the post. Anyway, here goes:

Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 23-01-19, 18:14.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      This link is to a BBC broadcast from 1974 of Barbara Thompson's band Jubiaba, which was formed a couple of years or so before Paraphernalia, and ran concurrently until about 1978. Tracklisting and personnel are shown. The recording quality is exceptionally good, as is the performance, but the URL is very long, and although I found this on another site, I'm not sure it's authorised for transcription. So, if the link doesn't work, I'll delete the post. Anyway, here goes:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!...B1!179&o=OneUp
      That link takes me to a 10'23" track called Black Macumba, S_A - no "tracklisting [or] peronnel are shown"?

PS - ah, yes, the last minute is given over to an announcer (who sounds vaguely familiar) giving the personnel.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        That link takes me to a 10'23" track called Black Macumba, S_A - no "tracklisting [or] peronnel are shown"?

PS - ah, yes, the last minute is given over to an announcer (who sounds vaguely familiar) giving the personnel.
        There's a little rightward pointing arrow in the top right hand corner of the window, which you have to click on to play rest of the tracks, one at a time. At the end of the last track, the arrow to the following page gives you the personnel and track titles. in a nice old-fashioned typeface, ferney.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

There's a little rightward pointing arrow in the top right hand corner of the window, which you have to click on to play rest of the tracks, one at a time. At the end of the last track, the arrow to the following page gives you the personnel and track titles. in a nice old-fashioned typeface, ferney.
          Eee - 'e's right, y'know!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

The ICP Orchestra Presents Thelonious Monk & Herbie Nichols

I have been trying to get a copy of this for ages and have just got a copy today. Inspired arrangements of wonderful compositions by Monk and Nichols and soloists - including Steve Lacy, Ab Baars, George Lewis, Michael Moore and Han Bennink.

elmo

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

‘Jawbreakers’
              Eddie ‘Lockjaw’ Davis & Harry ‘Sweets’ Edison with Hugh Lawson, Ike Isaacs, Clarence Johnson
              Riverside (rec. 1962)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                The ICP Orchestra Presents Thelonious Monk & Herbie Nichols

I have been trying to get a copy of this for ages and have just got a copy today. Inspired arrangements of wonderful compositions by Monk and Nichols and soloists - including Steve Lacy, Ab Baars, George Lewis, Michael Moore and Han Bennink.

elmo
                I bought the original vinyl, purely on spec, and have never regretted doing so. I've always enjoyed so-called free jazz players playing on chord changes: even when it doesn't quite work out the way it would with "fully versed" players, it's nevertheless always interesting.

Comment

• burning dog
                  • Dec 2010

Michel Legrand

RIP

General topics, The Listening Service, Music Matters, concert-going/listening, news

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

" He (Michel) and (Miles) Davis became friends and collaborated again in 1991, shortly before the trumpeter’s death, on a film called Dingo, directed by Rolf de Heer. “Miles called me up and said, ‘Michel, you’d better bring your fucking ass to Los Angeles next week because we’re doing a film. I agreed to do it on condition that you are with me.’ So I push all my work away. I go to his house in Malibu. We talk a lot, we drink a lot, we eat a lot. Friday arrives, the sessions are starting on Monday, and we haven’t written anything yet. Miles says, ‘We shouldn’t do it.’ I say, ‘Miles, that’s not nice, a young man is counting on you. OK, I have an idea. I’ll go to my hotel and I’ll compose everything in four days and four nights. On Wednesday I’ll record the orchestra and Saturday you come.’ He says, ‘Michel – I knew you were a genius.’ That bastard. An adventure! I love this very much.” - Richard Williams interview with Michel Legend, September 2018.

Those 60s Godard movies with Anna Karina do it for me! And the score to "Les Demoiselles de Rochford" where Catherine Deneurve and her equally wonderful sister dance around the music room because the circus boys are coming to town. Magnificent!

Comment

• elmo
                      • Nov 2010

I bought the original vinyl, purely on spec, and have never regretted doing so. I've always enjoyed so-called free jazz players playing on chord changes: even when it doesn't quite work out the way it would with "fully versed" players, it's nevertheless always interesting.
                      I agree SA, it is the Free Jazz players conception that makes it such an interesting and satisfying success.

elmo

Comment

• burning dog
                        • Dec 2010

Comment

• burning dog
                          • Dec 2010

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

He and Phil Woods really had a rapport! I'm tempted to JRR request Barney Wilen's Legrand, "What are you doing rest of your life", from his "French Ballads" album as a tribute. Very short but a really lovely tenor ballad, probably the best version. Time we had some more Barney on the airways.

Comment

• burning dog
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                              He and Phil Woods really had a rapport! I'm tempted to JRR request Barney Wilen's Legrand, "What are you doing rest of your life", from his "French Ballads" album as a tribute. .
                              good idea!

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

A cheap but wonderful 24-track compilation of early urban blues(1934-42), 'Need A Shot'(INDIGO IGOCD 2040).
                                Here's Washboard Sam's 1937 'Back Door' with some nice clarinet from Arnett Nelson:

Found some good old fashioned delta blues. Pretty good music here. Recorded in 1937 by Washboard Sam and his Washboard Band. Enjoy!

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X