Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    ‘Our Man in Paris’
    Dexter Gordon with Bud Powell, Pierre Michelot & Kenny Clarke
    Blue Note (1963)
    I have two Dexter Gordon albums, Go! and One Flight up. I’m thinking of adding a third. Is OMIP a good third, or this there something more recommendable?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

The bass player Danny Thompson led a fine folk-jazz trio in the 1980s and 1990s which he named Whatever, and it included a saxophonist called Tony Roberts, who played fine flute, and bagpipes of various sorts. Danny is probably best remembered for his work with Pentangle in the late 1960s/early '70s, but too easy overlooked, as is the case with Tony, (who btw is still active in the Dorset area), as also is the trio he co-ran with Roberts and John McLaughlin in the years 1966/67. The latter made one rare much sought after album and, I am now told, did two BBC radio broadcasts, one from which are extracted three numbers in the link below I have great delight in sharing, including what must have been an early version of McLaughlin's "Spectrum", to appear two years later on the famous "Extrapolation":

Disclaimer - I do not own the copyright to any songs, music or pictures in this video. Not for use of profit. http://www.amazon.com/Live-1967-Danny-Thompson/...

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        I have two Dexter Gordon albums, Go! and One Flight up. I’m thinking of adding a third. Is OMIP a good third, or this there something more recommendable?
        In addition to those you have. Go for:

Our Man in Paris
        Dexter Calling
        Doin Allright

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          The bass player Danny Thompson led a fine folk-jazz trio in the 1980s and 1990s which he named Whatever, and it included a saxophonist called Tony Roberts, who played fine flute, and bagpipes of various sorts. Danny is probably best remembered for his work with Pentangle in the late 1960s/early '70s, but too easy overlooked, as is the case with Tony, (who btw is still active in the Dorset area), as also is the trio he co-ran with Roberts and John McLaughlin in the years 1966/67. The latter made one rare much sought after album and, I am now told, did two BBC radio broadcasts, one from which are extracted three numbers in the link below I have great delight in sharing, including what must have been an early version of McLaughlin's "Spectrum", to appear two years later on the famous "Extrapolation":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-NhESr6PDI&t=140s
          Thanks for reminding us of this, it's very nice.

I've been listening to John Coltrane playing Autumn Leaves - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKANToc0SeM

Here's more early McLaughlin - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JBPlPcTfaw

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Thanks for the track from Gordon Beck's Experiments with Pops, Joseph. I got that album at Dobells when it first came out and it's still there in my vinyl collection. I well remember at the time thinking the title must refer to Louis Armstrong!!!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Thanks for the track from Gordon Beck's Experiments with Pops, Joseph. I got that album at Dobells when it first came out and it's still there in my vinyl collection. I well remember at the time thinking the title must refer to Louis Armstrong!!!
              Warning.....warning.

I am not in a good way. Never have been. Never will be, But I think I might be on the verge of turning up at the Clocktower. It's weekly but you go there monthly. Please explain.

Warning.....warning.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

‘Dexter Calling…’
                Dexter Gordon with Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

One for Bluesnik from Gwenifer Raymond, a Welsh lady:

From the album 'You Never Were Much of a Dancer'Listen now on Spotify, https://open.spotify.com/album/00hAIOxKP2p7ZIesC5oz2M?si=7BzkteicQjuMp1r1GXJSCwhttps:/...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                    One for Bluesnik from Gwenifer Raymond, a Welsh lady:

From the album 'You Never Were Much of a Dancer'Listen now on Spotify, https://open.spotify.com/album/00hAIOxKP2p7ZIesC5oz2M?si=7BzkteicQjuMp1r1GXJSCwhttps:/...

JR
                    It's funny that although I think banjos in "jazz" should be burnt on mass (instruments, not players) and then the ground salted, I've always liked that kind of five string Appalachian folk thing. Jack Elliot and Derral? Adams from the 50s/60s. She's OK has a PhD in Astrophysics. Well.....

From Kardiff and now likes in Brighton. That figures.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      In addition to those you have. Go for:

Our Man in Paris
                      Dexter Calling
                      Doin Allright
                      Cheers Stan!

OMIP is often cited and Dexter Calling is a dark horse, it seems.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

You can get the four Dexter - Alright, Calling, Go, and Man in Paris, in a 4cd European EMI Bluenote pack (2011) at a very reasonable price. I'd add Swinging Affair, from the same session as Go but certainly as good/better, and Clubhouse, retained in the vault until the 1980s. Dexter's ballad, "I'm a fool to want you", with Freddie Hubbard, from that is magnificent.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                          Warning.....warning.

I am not in a good way. Never have been. Never will be, But I think I might be on the verge of turning up at the Clocktower. It's weekly but you go there monthly. Please explain.

Warning.....warning.
                          I haven't seen anything worth attending there for some months now, Lat. In any case, as far as I know, actual jazz only takes place there once a month. But I'll check the listings for August when it comes out tomorrow, and if I see anything worthwhile I'll let you know.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                            You can get the four Dexter - Alright, Calling, Go, and Man in Paris, in a 4cd European EMI Bluenote pack (2011) at a very reasonable price. I'd add Swinging Affair, from the same session as Go but certainly as good/better, and Clubhouse, retained in the vault until the 1980s. Dexter's ballad, "I'm a fool to want you", with Freddie Hubbard, from that is magnificent.
                            I already have GO! But that 4 CD set might still be good value.

I’m intrigued by Swinging Affair. From the same seasons as GO! I’ve not come across that.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

It was cut the next day or two days after "Go", same classic little band, I think a pick of DG's output. Soy Califa has a wonderful Latin feel to the intro with Higgins, and Sonny Clark is superb throughout, even tho Dexter said he appeared to have a drink/drugs death wish "and no longer seemed to want to live". Hard to square Clark's condition with his playing...

DEXTER GORDON, tenor sax
                              SONNY CLARK, piano
                              BUTCH WARREN, bass
                              BILLY HIGGINS, drums

SIDE A

01. SOY CALIFA 6:27
                              02. Don’t Explain 6:06
                              03. You Stepped Out Of A Dream 6:34

SIDE B

01.The Backbone 6:48
                              02. Until The Real Thing Comes Along 6:49
                              3.McSplivens 5:43

Originally Released In 1962 By BLUE NOTE RECORDS

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                                Those 5 albums Dexter Gordon recorded in the period 1961-63 was I believe his golden period.

Doin' Allright (Blue Note 1961)
                                Dexter Calling... (Blue Note 1961)
                                Go! (Blue Note 1962)
                                A Swingin' Affair (Blue Note 1962)
                                Our Man in Paris (Blue Note 1963)

But from that period I've excluded 'Landslide' from the list.
                                Last edited by Stanfordian; 31-07-18, 16:54.

Comment

Working...
                                X