‘Breaking Point!’
    Freddie Hubbard, James Spaulding, Ronne Mathews, Eddie Khan & Joe Chambers
    Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
      BBC4 - Secret Knowledge : Nina Simone & Me with Laura Mvula

Singer Laura Mvula visits New York to explore the Nina Simone songs that mean most to her.

Another reminder of how Nina Simone had everything as in absolutely everything music and character wise.

Odd thoughts go through the mind like wondering whether to ditch half the personal record collection so as to replace it with all that she recorded and what place she should have in the list of priority people if science ever sufficiently develops to bring back people from the dead. I reckon somewhere in the region of top five.

Laura Mvula did a pretty good job in this programme - I had perhaps too readily dismissed her and will now explore her recording outputs properly - and there was an unusually strong - and relevant - selection of interviewees/people to sing along with. But it could have been longer. I'd have happily have had three hours of it.
      Yep - caught the end of this programme, which I think wasn't a repeat of an earlier one she did on Simone, which I saw in its entirety? Laura Mvula's a fine deep-toned singer in her genre, and has a most winning personality as presenter. I'd like to hear her go head-to-head with Jumoké Fashiola, presenting J to Z.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Yep - caught the end of this programme, which I think wasn't a repeat of an earlier one she did on Simone, which I saw in its entirety? Laura Mvula's a fine deep-toned singer in her genre, and has a most winning personality as presenter. I'd like to hear her go head-to-head with Jumoké Fashiola, presenting J to Z.
        It was first aired in 2015 but she may have done other programmes on Simone. Having briefly viewed a few Mvula clips since the programme, I can see why I had a different opinion of her. Ok - she is perhaps to jazz what Angelique Kidjo is to WM and I guess there is a need to appeal to younger audiences - but I much prefer her on Simone style songs. Obviously Simone had impeccable taste in the material she chose. I was very taken by LM on "Little Girl Blue" which apparently was used for "12 Years a Slave". I very much liked the brand of gospel in the programme in which she took part. And I thought Al Shackman was fairly heroic here both as an accompanist and an interviewee. I completely agree with you on J to Z.

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

So you're a fan of Nina Simone, Lat.
          Last edited by Padraig; 26-06-18, 15:06.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Breaking Point!’
            Freddie Hubbard, James Spaulding, Ronne Mathews, Eddie Khan & Joe Chambers
            Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              So you're a fan of Nina Simone, Lat. I'm sure you know this cache of jewels from 1961, but I did not discover it until quite recently, though I did find my personal No1 earlier as a single video on youtube and posted it here in awe some years ago - it's her version of For All We Know, and it's about 17 mts in. Yes, I'm a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEeCKCjfW_8
              Nina Simone's rendition of Mr. Bojangles is a real favourite of mine:

Official Audio (Live) for "Mr. Bojangles" by Nina SimoneListen to Nina Simone: https://NinaSimone.lnk.to/listenYDSubscribe to the official Nina Simone YouTub...
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 25-06-18, 11:02.

Comment

• burning dog
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                Nina Simone's rendition of Mr. Bojangles is a real favourite of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzofnHLOer4
                If there's ever an album "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A COVER VERSION !!!" this would be the first track IMO

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                  If there's ever an album "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A COVER VERSION !!!" this would be the first track IMO

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Topical.

Louis Armstrong & His Hot Five play “Hotter Than That” on Okeh 8535, recorded on December 13, 1927. Louis Armstrong is on cornet and provides the vocal.Kid O...

Comment

• burning dog
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

Louis Armstrong, nació el 4 de agosto de 1900 en New Orleáns (Louisiana) en el seno de una familia muy pobre y en uno de los barrios marginales de aquélla ci...

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘The Rumproller’
                        Lee Morgan with Joe Henderson, Ronnie Matthews, Victor Sproles & Billy Higgins
                        Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                          Almost tropical!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Almost tropical!
                            The title of this tune is actually 1920's slang with "barbecue" being the equivalent of a contemporary word like "totty."

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘Tenor Madness’

Sonny Rollins with John Coltrane, Red Garland, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                              Prestige Records (1956)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post

‘Tenor Madness’

Sonny Rollins with John Coltrane, Red Garland, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                                Prestige Records (1956)
                                I've always felt both front line players were at too early a stage in their respective developments for this to have been the success it might have been had they delayed it by, say, 6 years - at which time Sonny was coming out of his Erensburg Bridge woodshedding period, and recording "The Bridge", and 'Trane his first famous Village Vanguard sets. Both were "in transition" and might have profitted creatively from such an onstage interchange. Instead of which, Coltrane pushed ahead singlemindedly within his own terms and Rollins chose to cut whatever losses he might have incurred in his hard-won acquisitions by going free, and remained within the changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X