Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

'A Shade Of Brown' with Curtis Amy(tenor sax); Dupree Bolton(trumpet); Ray Crawford(guitar); Jackie Wilson(piano); Victor Gaskin(bass) & Doug Sides(drums) from 'Katanga!'(1963):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘Now's The Time!’
      Sonny Rollins with Herbie Hancock, Thad Jones, Ron Carter, Bob Cranshaw & Roy McCurdy
      RCA Victor (1964)

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Stanley Cowell's 'Equipoise' from Max Roach's 1968 album 'Members Don't Git Weary' with Gary Bartz(alto sax); Charles Tolliver(trumpet); Stanley Cowell(piano) & Jymie Merritt(electric bass):

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

‘Comin' On!’
          Dizzy Reece with Stanley Turrentine, Musa Kaleem, Duke Jordan, Bobby Timmons
          Jymie Merritt, Sam Jones, Art Blakey, Al Harewood
          Blue Note (1960)

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Stanley Cowell's 'Equipoise' from Max Roach's 1968 album 'Members Don't Git Weary' with Gary Bartz(alto sax); Charles Tolliver(trumpet); Stanley Cowell(piano) & Jymie Merritt(electric bass):

JR
            Nice tune.

I like Gary Bartz.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
              Nice tune.

I like Gary Bartz.
              Me too, especially for his very very bluesy work on Miles's "Live-Evil". As far as JR's choice of track is concerned, I have a special affection for that period of jazz, when some very attractively un-macho edge-of-free music came up almost seemingly in shocked response to the death of 'Trane, this being just one of many examples: the Andrew Hill track with string quartet referred to recently from J to Z is another, and Miroslav Vitous's "Mountain in the Clouds" two others. Something very nice was happening to jazz before fusion started to click in.

(My fingers seem to have developed a form of dyslexia right now! )

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Speaking of Bartz - I'm currently listening to this amazing thing -

Watch GIGS on Samsung TV Plus: https://www.samsungtvplus.com?action=play&target_tab=discover&target_id=GBBD3000004VR&target_type=1 Miles Davis - Call It Anyt...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  Speaking of Bartz - I'm currently listening to this amazing thing -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMYVvjoXf4o&t=454s
                  It's good to be seeing Afro hairstyles making a comeback. Today, I mean. On women especially.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Oh yes, Lester Bowie plus Fontella Bass and overlooked tenor player Ari Brown:-

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      It's good to be seeing Afro hairstyles making a comeback. Today, I mean. On women especially.
                      When Miles had his first big hair weave, and walked in Birdland, Art Blakey shouted, "Hey, you could have had Willie the Lion's hair (wig), it's his funeral!"

One of my favorites.

BN.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘Back to Back’
                        Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges with Harry ‘Sweets’ Ellison, Les Spann, Sam Jones, Al Hall & Jo Jones
                        Verve (1959)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

'The Dreamer' with Yusef Lateef(tenor sax); Bernard McKinney(euphonium); Terry Pollard(piano); William Austin(bass) & Frank Gant(drums) recorded in June, 1959:

Yusef Lateef And His Jazz Quintet / The Dreamer Realm Jazz Savoy SeriesYusef Lateef - Tenor Saxophone, Flute, Oboe William Austin - Bass Frank Gant - Drums B...

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

"Warm Sounds", Johnny Coles Quartet (+ Kenny Drew, Peck Morrison, Chari Persip). Epic/Sony 1961. Tremendous record. Coles full of personality, tone, and invention, and a very good choice of tunes (Hi Fly with Randy Weston guesting on piano).

Interesting to me because Johnny Coles is usually assigned to Miles Davis, but here there is a lot more affinity to Kenny Dorham, with KD's pinched note thing on ballads. But still very individual.

I actually greatly prefer this to "Little Johnny C" (Bluenote), held to be JC's calling card. ("That's REALLY a Duke Pearson date" - Chuck Nessa)

BN.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

In terms of polyphonic jazz guitar, they don't get much better than Martin Taylor -

Jazz guitar master Martin Taylor performs his version of "Stella by Starlight." From the Vestapol DVD "Martin Taylor In Concert." More info at https://stefan...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Frank Foster's 'Simone' by the Don Braden Quartet at Litchfield Jazz Festival(2013) with Braden(tenor sax); Geri Allen(piano); Avery Sharpe(bass) & Alvin Atkinson(drums):

Don Braden Quartet (featuring Geri Allen) in performance at The Litchfield Jazz FestivalwithDon Braden, tenor sax (www.DonBraden.com)Geri Allen, piano (www.G...

JR

Comment

Working...
                                X