X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

‘Boss Soul!’
    Gene Ammons with Walter Bishop Jr, Patti Brown, Art Davis, George Duvivier, Art Taylor & Ray Barretto
    Prestige (1961)

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

'Laughin' to Keep from Cryin''
      Lester Young with Harry 'Sweets' Edison, Roy Eldridge, Herb Ellis, Hank Jones, George Duvivie & Mickey Sheen
      Verve (1958)

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Texas Twister’
        Don Wilkerson with Nat Adderley, Barry Harris, Leroy Vinegar, Sam Jones, Billy Higgins
        Riverside (1960)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          ‘Hootin' 'n Tootin'
          with extra tracks
          Fred Jackson with Earl Van Dyke, Willie Jones, Sam Jones & Wilbert Hogan
          Blue Note (1962)
          This is one of my all time favourite records. I was first loaned an LP of this by a QS teacher at college and I was intrigued because I have never heard of any of these musicians. I believe that the organ player Earl Van Dyke was later involved in Motown . Fred Jackson remains really elusive. You can find relatively little about him on line other tan gigs with Ray Charles and session work with Quincy Jones.

For me this record is truly special. I think that the whole "Soul Jazz" scene is it's own oeuvre with it's unique perspectives and cultish personalities. Jimmy Smith always seems the starting point but "Hootin' & tootin'" is actually a radical departure, there is still a soulful nature about the music but Jackson's approach owes something to Coltrane. It had that deep, soulful quality about it , even if Jackson affords himself a few R n/ B barks on his tenor. Underneath this, the music does heavily hint towards the popular black music of the early 60[s and the albums apparent lack of commercial success is at odds with the fact that this was a Blue Note record that was eager to look beyond jazz for it's audience. The tunes are all extremely cool and there is not a duff track on it. I love the fact that it is so laid back and musically focussed.

It is strange that this record never sold well initially and that it now enjoys a reputation that borders on the cultish. The extra tracks come from an unreleased album and are quite good although the "official" release material is an absolute classic in it's field. Whist it might not be radical, I think it is in marked contrast to other records with organs on the Blue Note label and hugely different in tone to say Jimmy Smith which is more exuberant. "Hootin' & tootin'" is an exceptional record in my opinion. Modest in scope, it achieves what it sets out to do with aplomb and the more soulful influence of John Coltrane on this record makes it quite unique.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Live at this VERY moment, on TSF Radio, from the New Morning in Paris...

Joe Lovano & Dave Douglas
            - Sound Prints
            These two musicians have decided to join together to pay tribute to saxophonist and composer Wayne Shorter, the title "Sound prints" being a clear allusion to "Footprints", the famous composition of Shorter.
            This spring saxophonist Joe Lovano and trumpet player Dave Douglas will begin a tour across the United States and Europe, accompanied by their quintet "Sound Prints" (Lawrence Fields on piano, Linda Oh on double bass and Joey Baron on drums) .

"Sound Prints" will give rise to an album, to appear at Blue Note at the beginning of the year 2018.

Really excellent band, and certainly not some pastiche of Wayne S.

BN.

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

John Coltrane: Blue Train

i bought a new phono pre-amp for my turntable, and everything’s singing at the moment.
              Steve

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                Charles Mingus wrote a letter to Jeff Beck praising his version of 'Goodbye Pork Pie Hat' from the 1976 album 'Wired':

Pork Pie Hat by Jeff Beck, written by Charles Mingus, from the album Wired

JR
                Wow! I didn't know that. I bought 'Wired' the day it came out. I was still in school. Still play that album regularly after all these years.

I have to say that it's a fabulous rendition of a perfect composition.
                In fact I prefer it to the original.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

'Recorda Me' with Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, Bobby Hutcherson, Ron Carter & Tony Williams from 'One Night With Blue Note Volume 1'(v. rare!) recorded at Town Hall, New York on February 22, 1985:

One night with Blue noteFreddie Hubbard, Joe henderson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Bobby Hutcherson, James Newton

JR

Comment

• Stunsworth
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    Wow! I didn't know that. I bought 'Wired' the day it came out. I was still in school. Still play that album regularly after all these years.

I have to say that it's a fabulous rendition of a perfect composition.
                    In fact I prefer it to the original.
                    It's worth having a look/listen to the Live at Ronnie Scott DVD. I bought it via iTunes a while ago and re-watched it last week. A fantastic concert and a fantastic band. Beck's technique is astonishing. There's one track where's he's basically playing harmonics and bending them all over the place.
                    Steve

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

‘Blue Train’
                      John Coltrane with Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller, Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                      Blue Note (1958)

Stunsworth gave me the idea for this the other day.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                        'Recorda Me' with Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard, Herbie Hancock, Bobby Hutcherson, Ron Carter & Tony Williams from 'One Night With Blue Note Volume 1'(v. rare!) recorded at Town Hall, New York on February 22, 1985:

One night with Blue noteFreddie Hubbard, Joe henderson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Bobby Hutcherson, James Newton

JR
                        The only version of Recorda Me I possess is the version by The Band - Ronnie Scott's "all-star aggravation" in his words - on the 1968 album recorded at Ronnie's: Kenny Wheeler, Chris Pyne, Ronnie, Ray Warleigh, John Surman, Ron Matthewson, Tony Oxley and Kenny Clare - who must all have got on so well working together to judge by the quality of the music.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                          It's worth having a look/listen to the Live at Ronnie Scott DVD. I bought it via iTunes a while ago and re-watched it last week. A fantastic concert and a fantastic band. Beck's technique is astonishing. There's one track where's he's basically playing harmonics and bending them all over the place.
                          I have the Ronnie Scott CD, and watch the footage on YouTube often

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

‘A Sure Thing’
                            Blue Mitchell with Clark Terry, Julius Watkins, Jerome Richardson, Jimmy Heath, Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones & Albert Heath
                            Riverside (1962)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘White Gardenia’
                              Johnny Griffin with Nat Adderley, Clarke Terry, Ernie Royal, Jimmy Cleveland, Paul Faulise, Urbie Green & strings
                              Riverside (1962)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                                • Dec 2010

One name I have never seen mentioned on this board is guitarist Nels Cline. I have been listening to his double CD "Lovers" which is absolutely compelling because you just don't know what is going to happen next. The album is decidedly odd. By and large Cline plays a variety of guitars accompanied by a large orchestra which comprises a standard big band line up plus strings, a harp and a few other odd instruments. The music is unusual to say the least. Avant-rock tracks mix with standards and Miles Ahead style arrangements. Elsewhere the music seems to sound a bit like Gary McFarland. The repertoire is a mix too with some standards , Gabor Szabo tunes, some swing era joviality and a couple of Annette Peacock tunes thrown in too for good measure.

Comment

Working...
                                X