X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    I have found the last four posts a very, very, interesting read and would welcome more of this kind of thing on suitable threads. It is social history. It is that "get your bearings thing" which I am so fond of in any number of contexts, especially when time-wise they are out of my domain. A few things struck me. One, Colyer's combination of obstinancy and bravery. Two, the spirit in trad seemed not wholly unlike that in brass bands.
    Ee lad, they do say, oop north, "where there's muck, there's brass"

Three, in older age they all seemed a bit unusual and even mildly sinister while being ever so sentimental. There were tales of faces being punched but at least three on thinking back were almost in tears. Four, it made me wonder where the bloke who married a friend of my Mum's had stood musically when I was in my pram. A bohemian into jazz who painted in the style of Pollock. Someone who my Dad was sufficiently scared of that he avoided him by taking to his bed.
    From this description, probably standing by your pram, ready to tip you out.

It is fun to think "where would I have been?". Being who I am, I can't just dismiss trad. Notwithstanding the posh background, I think I would have been minded towards the Lyttelton midway-ish point although ultimately veering to modernism on the shallow grounds of "cool". Also, while more challenging - you have to work harder on it - all of that headlights on a rainy night stuff is evocative and I like evocative a lot. There is also a negative around trad for me. It is that while it is intended to be full of energy and life, I don't always get that in my soul in a way that I can with true New Orleans. It can fall a bit flat in me much as they found the earlier dance bands. Loads of things going on, yet not quite delivering as desired.
    O Level grades for spotting those flat fifths and sevenths...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Ee lad, they do say, oop north, "where there's muck, there's brass"......From this description, probably standing by your pram, ready to tip you out.......O Level grades for spotting those flat fifths and sevenths...

I have never been paint in a pot although my post relies on broad brush strokes for its effect.

A more detailed understanding can always be provided where appropriate.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

What is your opinion of Ottilie Patterson?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
          What is your opinion of Ottilie Patterson?
          Northern Oireland's answer to Bessie Smith.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Northern Oireland's answer to Bessie Smith.
            I don't know if you have seen the programme - the suggested comparison was Mavis Staples!

I'm not sure what to think about that!

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Wayne Shorter's Quartet playing music from 'Beyond The Sound Barrier' live at Newport in 2008:

Wayne Shorter Quartet - Music from 'Beyond the Sound Barrier'Recorded Live: 8/9/2008 - Newport Jazz Festival - Newport, RIMore Wayne Shorter Quartet at Music...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

‘Groove’ - The Complete Legendary 1961 Sessions
                Ben Webster with Richard 'Groove' Holmes, Les McCann, Lawrence 'Tricky' Lofton, George Freeman, Herbie Lewis & Ron Jefferson
                Pacific Jazz (1961)

Comment

• Joseph K
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2017

The mystical sense of wonderment and awe in Coltrane's Interstellar Space, its incredible colours and reverence, is unique!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘No Room for Squares’
                    Hank Mobley with Lee Morgan, Andrew Hill, John Ore & Philly Joe Jones + Hank Mobley with Donald Byrd, Herbie Hancock, Butch Warren & Philly Joe Jones
                    Blue Note (1963)

Comment

• elmo
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      ‘No Room for Squares’
                      Hank Mobley with Lee Morgan, Andrew Hill, John Ore & Philly Joe Jones + Hank Mobley with Donald Byrd, Herbie Hancock, Butch Warren & Philly Joe Jones
                      Blue Note (1963)
                      One of the finest of all Blue Notes in my opinion - great choice Stan

My choices for today " World of Cecil Taylor" Candid.

Ornette Coleman trio live in Manchester 1966 Hi Hat - double album of that great trio.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘New and Old Gospel’
                        Jackie McLean with Ornette Coleman, Lamont Johnson, Scotty Holt & Billy Higgins
                        Blue Note (1967)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

'Solid'
                          Grant Green with James Spaulding, Joe Henderson, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw & Elvin Jones
                          Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            'Solid'
                            Grant Green with James Spaulding, Joe Henderson, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw & Elvin Jones
                            Blue Note (1964)
                            Ia anyone old enough to remember the word "solid", as used by hippies in the 60s and 70s in expressing agreement, eg "Yeah man; solid, man".

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

Sonny Rollins - "Moving Out" LP Prestige session c. 1954 with Elmo Hope, Kenny Dorham, Percy Heath and Art Blakey...track 4 "Solid". Composer Rollins. In the currency then.

And I'm sure I used it when I was young and aspirationally hip. "This tomato soup Man, it's like real "solid".

Then throw it out.....

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                                • Dec 2010

Herbie Hancock, 78 yesterday. I've been listening (for the first time) to his "The Prisoner" album, his last for Bluenote in 1969. This has somehow passed me by in any form for all these years. What a lovely record, a homage to Martin Luther King, with an augmented band and some superb stuff from Herbie, Joe Henderson and Johnny Coles. This is must buy, must buy, must.

Comment

Working...
                                X