Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Just dropping this in as it's Chicago...
    "It's always sad when an important artist passes away, but it's sadder when that passing goes unnoticed. Today I learned that great Chicago drummer Robert Barry died on January 8 at age 85, at Chalet Living and Rehab at 7350 N. Sheridan. And as far as I can tell, aside from his obituary nothing has been written about it"

He played with Sun Ra until Ra decamped to New York, remaining in Chicago and playing with Fred Anderson and a lot of the younger scene. Full obit in the Chicago Enquirer.
    "

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

‘Soul Call’
      Kenny Burrell with Will Davis, Martin Rivera, Bill English & Ray Barrett
      Prestige (1964)

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        jaimie branch - "Fly or die" ( No capitals in her name!!)

On first listen this CD almost seems like a demo and I had the impression that the music had been recorded live in a club. This isn't the case and it is a record that is increasingly warming on me although it is probably unlikely to be reserved to be played later on Stanfordian's turntable !!

The core trio consists of branch on trumpet, Jason Adjeman on bass and the excellent Chad Taylor on drums. There is a lot of Tomeka Reid on this record too. Other tracks are augmented by an acoustic guitar and a couple of cornets. Upon reflection, the edginess and uncompromising nature of this record firmly plants this record into the more outside realms of Jazzrook's discerning tastes and I am guessing this would appeal to him. It is a really short disc which effectively comprises of two-extended suites, the first of which shares something of Sonny Rollin's "Freedom Suite" opening theme. For me, Taylor ( again) stands out as a great drummer and Reid offers her voice as the record's most compelling soloist. The leader is pretty boisterous, offering extra-musical sounds through her mouthpiece but also touches of Cootie Williams when she employs a mute. For the most part, branch plays an open horn and her approach is pretty aggressive and biting.

I suppose the thing I like the best about the record is the fact that it does make something of a shock element. Some parts have a string groove component whereas others like "The storm" is like listening to the musical equivalent of two Stuka diver-bombers. There are samples of Amazon if you are curious. This does make a nice contrast to other female trumpeters like Jensen, Jurd or Ahmed albeit I would appreciate that she is not to everyone's taste. If you enjoy the music from the current Chicago scene, this is yet further proof that the Windy City certainly has the edge when it comes to more adventurous styles of jazz.
        Thanks for that, Ian.
        Here's a track from 'Fly or Die' - very impressive and I may well take a chance on buying jaimie branch's album:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          Thanks for that, Ian.
          Here's a track from 'Fly or Die' - very impressive and I may well take a chance on buying jaimie branch's album:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR
          That's nice: in the clip that followed yours on the sequence Jamie cites Evan Parker. There is a young Scottish female trumpet player who plays somewhat like her, perhaps a bit more straight ahead. I think she came up in a sequence like the one above, and I omitted to make note of her. It's great to see the original AACM philosophy of promulgating jazz in the overlooked parts of cities being perpetuated. There should be more happening like this over here. John Stevens was a great example in his time.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Tom Cat’
            Lee Morgan with Curtis Fuller, Jackie McLean, McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw & Art Blakey
            Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Jah Wobble & Evan Parker ~ 'Passage To Hades':

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

'Laughin' to Keep from Cryin'
                Lester Young with Harry 'Sweets' Edison, Roy Eldridge, Herb Ellis, Hank Jones, George Duvivie & Mickey Sheen
                Verve (1958)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                  • Mar 2011

Ernest Ranglin playing King Tubby Meets The Rockers from the album 'Below The Bassline':

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

‘Rumproller’
                    Lee Morgan, Joe Henderson, Ronnie Mathews, Victor Sproles & Billy Higgins
                    Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

‘Whistle Stop’
                      Kenny Dorham with Hank Mobley, Kenney Drew, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                      Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘Jawbreakers’
                        Eddie ‘Lockjaw’ Davis & Harry ‘Sweets’ Edison with Hugh Lawson, Ike Isaacs & Clarence Johnson
                        Riverside (1962)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

‘Kind of Blue’
                          Miles Davis with Julian ‘Cannonball’ Adderley, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Jimmy Cobb
                          Columbia (1959)

My evening listening!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

‘Seven Steps to Heaven’
                            Miles Davis with George Coleman, Herbie Hancock/Victor Feldman, Ron Carter & Tony Williams/Frank Butler
                            Columbia (rec. 1963)

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘Sketches of Spain’
                              Miles Davis & band, arranged and conducted by Gil Evans
                              Columbia (1959/60)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                                ‘Sketches of Spain’
                                Miles Davis & band, arranged and conducted by Gil Evans
                                Columbia (1959/60)
                                Scratches of Spain
                                Billy Jenkins Voice of God Collective

Comment

Working...
                                X