Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Not a charity shop purchase, but from a local second hand book megastore: John Etheridge - Sweet Chorus - A Tribute to Stephane Grappelli. Feauturing Christian Garrick in the role of M. Grappelli, Dave Kelbie on rhythm guitar and the versatile Malcom Creese on bass. Mmmmmmmmmmm - very tasty (and very sweet). This is listed on The Ubiquitous River website at £19 minimum for a used copy - I paid £3.60! - nice! On closer inspection at home, the insert may have been signed by Mr E himself too.

OG

P.S. After a little research online, I think it could well be his signature
    P.P.S. Just found Mr Creese's signature too!
    Last edited by Old Grumpy; 22-02-18, 16:49. Reason: Postscript

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Not a charity shop purchase, but from a local second hand book megastore: John Etheridge - Sweet Chorus - A Tribute to Stephane Grappelli. Feauturing Christian Garrick in the role of M. Grappelli, Dave Kelbie on rhythm guitar and the versatile Malcom Creese on bass. Mmmmmmmmmmm - very tasty (and very sweet). This is listed on The Ubiquitous River website at £19 minimum for a used copy - I paid £3.60! - nice! On closer inspection at home, the insert may have been signed by Mr E himself too.

OG

P.S. After a little research online, I think it could well be his signature
      P.P.S. Just found Mr Creese's signature too!
      I once tried to get worthy estimates on LPs from a record collection belonging to an elderly lady who got to know Count Basie and his personnel well back in the 1950s; she wanted good money for them, given that they had signatures and affectionate messages from some famous names and were in reasonable nick. But when I asked for quotes I could not find any dealer prepared to offer anything over the averages of the time, which was about 15 years ago, and she ended up preferring to keep them. Somehow I don't imagine the situation as having changed much in that regard.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Interesting point S_A. That's OK - I don't want to sell it, having just bought it this morning! Quite nice to have the signatures though.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Gonna post this here:

Blistering electric post-bop!

This version of Dark Prince is something special, IMO. I don't really know many tunes of its kind, other than other tunes of McLaughlin's, e.g. 'Do You Hear the Voices You Left Behind?' - that is to say, high-speed electric post-bop. And this performance is amazing. McLaughlin is positively magisterial, so eloquent, travelling through the changes (which are a Coltranesque form of the blues) with such aplomb, wit, yet still holding back at this formidable speed, which has the paradoxical effect of stoking the temporal flame and tension. WOW.

Also worth comparing the live version, which reportedly made Tony Williams very pissed off with Jaco because of the latter's strange outside playing.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Here to Stay’
            Freddie Hubbard with Wayne Shorter, Cedar Walton, Reggie Workman & Philly Joe Jones
            Blue Note (1962)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              ‘Here to Stay’
              I'm reassured to hear that, Stan!

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

John Coltrane - Last Performance at Newport 1966.

Fastest scales ever? Incendiary, in any case.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                  John Coltrane - Last Performance at Newport 1966.

Fastest scales ever? Incendiary, in any case.
                  As John Etheridge once joked: "How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: five - one to actually change the bulb, and the four others to say 'I can do that faster!'. In the post-Coltrane saxophone field, Paul Dunmall probably takes some beating, note-rate per minute - but it makes sense when he does it because he always has so much to say!

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    As John Etheridge once joked: "How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: five - one to actually change the bulb, and the four others to say 'I can do that faster!'. In the post-Coltrane saxophone field, Paul Dunmall probably takes some beating, note-rate per minute - but it makes sense when he does it because he always has so much to say!
                    Very true (about guitarists).

In my late teens I frequented various internet forums of Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan. I remember one chap actually did count the notes-per-second such guitar players achieved. His concern was plectrum-picked notes and concluded that about 21 notes per second was the fastest, flawlessly played of course (all the usual suspects achieved this).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Very true (about guitarists).

In my late teens I frequented various internet forums of Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth, Guthrie Govan. I remember one chap actually did count the notes-per-second such guitar players achieved. His concern was plectrum-picked notes and concluded that about 21 notes per second was the fastest, flawlessly played of course (all the usual suspects achieved this).
                      Here's a couple of clips of Paul Dunmall in case you don't know of him, demonstrating something of the scope of his playing: the first from the Vortex 3 years ago at a gig I was lucky enough to be at; the second at another gig with Paul Rogers and (again) Mark Sanders, where he plays the saxello which Elton Dean famously played on those Soft Machine sessions, and which he left Paul in his will. There's an interview with Paul from 2013 at his home, which I'll post as a separate thread.

Paul Dunmall - Tenor SaxLiam Noble - PianoJohn Edwards - BassMark Sanders - DrumsFragment 2

Paul Dunmall - saxelloPaul Rogers - bassMark Sanders - drums

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Here's a couple of clips of Paul Dunmall in case you don't know of him, demonstrating something of the scope of his playing: the first from the Vortex 3 years ago at a gig I was lucky enough to be at; the second at another gig with Paul Rogers and (again) Mark Sanders, where he plays the saxello which Elton Dean famously played on those Soft Machine sessions, and which he left Paul in his will. There's an interview with Paul from 2013 at his home, which I'll post as a separate thread.

Paul Dunmall - Tenor SaxLiam Noble - PianoJohn Edwards - BassMark Sanders - DrumsFragment 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B87-W8KeRVg
                        Thanks for these - I didn't know his playing, but I like these clips - especially the second one.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

e.g. 'Do You Hear the Voices You Left Behind?' -
                          Speaking of this tune - I've found another version, starting at 49 minutes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WLr2muw9cE

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Speaking of this tune - I've found another version, starting at 49 minutes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WLr2muw9cE
                            Thanks for these excellent clips, Joseph: as happens I have the Trio of Doom CD, after seeing a recommendatory review when it first came out. I guess you know that story about Michael Garrick asking Jaco P who his favourite bass player was, and JP replying: "There is no other bass player"! BTW you might be interested in the interview with Paul Dunmall I posted on the other thread.

Comment

• CGR
                              • Aug 2016

Traveling Pulse
                              Cloudmakers Five
                              Whirlwind

I love Jim Hart's vibes playing and this new cd has some excellent music on it.
                              Interestingly it has a credit for Arts Council England on the sleeve. I didn't think they did much for jazz these days.

Update: I googled "Arts Council England Jazz" which took me to the Arts Council website page with the message "There is currently no content classified with this term."
                              Last edited by CGR; 24-02-18, 10:49. Reason: Update

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

The 1963 album 'My Name Is Albert Ayler'(BLACK LION) recorded by Danish Radio in Copenhagen with Ayler(tenor & soprano saxophones); Niels Bronsted(piano); Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen(bass) & Ronnie Gardiner(drums).

Here's 'Summertime':

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

...and another version with the Herbert Katz Quintet in Helsinki, 1962 with Katz(guitar); Ayler(tenor sax); Teuvo Suojarvi(piano); Heikki Annala(bass) & Martti Aijanen(drums):

JR
                                Last edited by Jazzrook; 24-02-18, 11:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X