• burning dog
    • Dec 2010

The whole album is great, this track amazing

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
      The whole album is great, this track amazing

I like this one too - one of those transitional jazz recordings bridging postbop and free, it helped me cross the Rubicon; I heard it in the pre-Cd era when fulfilment was found trawling the record stalls in hot and sweaty basements on a rainy Saturday afternoon, wherever you happened to be, but didn't have enough dosh at the time to buy it!

Comment

• burning dog
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        I like this one too - one of those transitional jazz recordings bridging postbop and free, it helped me cross the Rubicon; I heard it in the pre-Cd era when fulfilment was found trawling the record stalls in hot and sweaty basements on a rainy Saturday afternoon, wherever you happened to be, but didn't have enough dosh at the time to buy it!

I got it from Willesden Library first, the librarian used to give talks on post-war "modern" big bands Herman, Gillespie etc. can't remember his name. There was a system where you had to buy a record for a second hand price, £2.50 ish, if you scratched it badly (even if only superficially) would have been an idea to scratch Windmill Tilter and the like..

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

I have Mountain the Clouds. It's great!

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

‘Dippin’’
            Hank Mobley with Lee Morgan, Harold Mabern Jr, Larry Ridley & Billy Higgins
            Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

'My Point of View' by Herbie Hancock.

Appreciate guitarist Grant Green's presence here.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                This is quite an unusual record. I cannot recall hearing any of his music before although I think I have come across his name where he was photographed with some American musicians, Looking him up on Wicki, the labels on this record would suggest that this is the band he led in South America between 42-44. I cannot recall ever having heard any "swing " bands from that era than came from South America at that time. I quite like the tight arrangement but , if it was a blindfold test, I would have placed that recording at around five years earlier. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Dug these records out of my collection for my trip to Gloucester:-

1. Antonio Sanchez - "New Life." I bought this record on the strength of an excellent review on All about Jazz and as it featured Donny McCaslin (before he was "discovered by David Bowie) and David Binney. The music does sound influenced by Pat Metheny but the quality of writing is a little underwhelming. I remember have a discussion with John Kelman of All About Jazz about this record on the site's old board as he had said that it was a disc that raised the drummer's profile as a bandleader because I felt that he had been quite lenient on a record that was pleasant enough to listen to but nowhere as near as it should have been with that line up. I think Sanchez has made a couple of newer discs since this recording but it sounds a bit too "tasteful" and the opening composition that is a Coltrane-esque vamp still seems despairingly unoriginal. It since stuck me as a prime example of how "safe" some contemporary jazz has become and you keep thinking that someone like Michael Brecker would have produced something so much better working in this idiom.

Shirley Horn - "You're my thrill." Part small group / part lush orchestrations this was one of her last recordings and whilst it may be on the borders of jazz / cabaret music it is produced with such elan that this is a little gem.

Steve Lehman - "Mise en abime" - Along with the aforementioned Steve Coleman album, this is pretty much state of the art jazz. If you want contemporary jazz to sound a particular "way," I would have to say that this is one of the sounds I would expect jazz to match up to today. It is edgy and highly original. The music has a restless and neurotic quality about it and the combination of odd-meters, strange structures and microtonal harmonies sets it apart from so much other jazz even if you can understand the Steve Coleman influence. In contrast to the Sanchez album, I think this disc is one that pushes the possibilities of jazz out much further beyond post-bop to something that is highly individualistic. The likes of Revis, Coleman, Threadgill, and Lehman demonstrate that the possibilities with jazz are pretty limitless and do not necessarily require influences from outside the music.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

'One Flight Up'
                    Dexter Gordon with Donald Byrd, Kenny Drew, Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen & Art Taylor
                    Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

A little-known edition of Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers recorded live at Slug's in 1968.
                      Here's 'Angel Eyes', a feature for the marvellous tenor playing of Billy Harper:

Personal: Art Blakey: tambores; Ronnie Mathews: piano; Lawrence Evans: bajo; Bill Hardman: trompeta; Julian Priester: trombón; Billy Harper: saxo tenor.

JR
                      Last edited by Jazzrook; 14-02-18, 10:48.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

'Another Workout'
                        Hank Mobley with Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                        Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                          • Aug 2015

These will have to be on the jazz forum as it is the nearest.

Lite but oh so memorable:

1. Neal Hefti - The Odd Couple - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwIt58mdz6Y

2. Vic Damone 1928-1918 - http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3815723

According to the radio, "almost the last of the great crooners".

We all know what that means.

I'm not sure its respectful to the remarkable one who survives.

I thought Vic Damone was much older. My granddad liked him.

RIP Vic Damone

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

‘Reminiscin'’
                            Gigi Gryce with Richard Gene Williams, Richard Rylands, Reggie Workman, Eddie Costa & Bob Thomas
                            New Jazz (1960

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

‘Sonny Rollins - On Impulse!’
                              Sonny Rollins, Ray Bryant, Walter Booker & Mickey Roker
                              Impulse (1965)

Comment

• elmo
                                • Nov 2010

Gil Evans "Bird Feathers from " new bottles old wine" Pacific Jazz, rec 1958 - brilliant Gil arrangement

elmo
                                Last edited by elmo; 18-02-18, 00:45.

Comment

Working...
                                X