X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Lock yourselves in, turn out the lights, don't answer the door

But first, let's remember Calum da Jazzbo, whose 70th birthday comes up this week, I believe, and wish him well.

Love & Best wishes to you, Calum!

Sat 31 Oct
    4.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces listeners' choices, including recordings by trombonist JJ Johnson and singer Mel Torme [with a cute little accent] whose nickname was "the velvet fog". [Didn't know that]

5.00 Jazz Line-Up
    A performance by the James Taylor Quartet featuring their hi-energy Hammond organ grooves, recorded in June on the jazz line-Up stage at the Glasgow Festival. And reporter Sebastian Scotney explores the vibrant jazz scene in Birmingham.

JTQ: Suitable for Radio 3?

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    North Carolina-born saxophone titan and spiritual force John Coltrane (1926-67) remains a central icon in the history of jazz. Geoffrey Smith surveys his prophetic works, from Giant Steps to A Love Supreme

Geoffrey Smith surveys the music of the great saxophonist John Coltrane.

Mon 2 November
    Jazz on 3

Jez Nelson presents a special programme celebrating the 50th anniversary of pioneering Chicago-based collective the AACM, featuring highlights from the archives.

Louis Moholo Moholo's pianist Alex Hawkins is in the studio to talk about these great pathbreakers.

Celebrating the 50th anniversary of the AACM, with highlights from the Jazz on 3 archives.

Did anyone hear Keith Richards on DID this morning? I had to go out.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Love & Best wishes to you, Calum!

Thanks for the nudge, S_A: this particular Classbo misses da Jazzbo and looks forward to hearing from him again soon.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Yes, Yes, Yes, Birthday greetings to Comrade Calum!

I am 69 today but after a day of oysters, skate wings and champagne, I feel oh, a mere 68. Its also Dave Holland's similar age birthday this week I believe. He's still got his hair, so he must be faking it.

As Alyn is playing "Equinox" from Coltrane's "Coltrane Sound" album, I in turn dedicate it to Calum. I recently re-bought all Trane's Atlantic albums as a box and this long session is phenomenal. I'd forgotten just how good. Steve Davis, the forgotten and very solid, bass.

Salute Calum.

BN.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

And Many Happy Returns of the Day to you, too, Bluesnik - and thanks for all your contributions to the Forum.

I also feel like I'm a mere 68-year-old today.

I'm 55.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          to Comrade Calum!

I am 69 today but after a day of oysters, skate wings and champagne, I feel oh, a mere 68.
          Well then! - and a very happy birthday to you too, Bluesie!

Its also Dave Holland's similar age birthday this week I believe. He's still got his hair, so he must be faking it.
          October 1st 1946, according to my... sources.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Yep, I stand corrected SA, Le Holland is a tad older than me, with his own hair, and 3,864 likes on his birthday page on Facebook. I didn't get one on mine even tho I was wearing my Elvis wig. Not that this hair thing bothers....

Bloody bass players.

BN "I am that Cleanhead Man"

Comment

• charles t
              • Nov 2010

Calum da Jazzbo, my friend...here's some fun from another Jazzbo (Al Collins) to jazz up your 70th:

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                • Dec 2010

Aye, best wishes to Calum (sic) - I hope he's making a good recovery from illness and congratulations on reaching the three score and ten.
                all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Happy Birthday , Calum and Bluesnik.

Comment

Working...
                  X