• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Just Nubyan desserts

Sun 23 June

Alyn Shipton with a selection of music inspired by summer as requested by you.

Mon 24 - Fri 29 June

Nubya Garcia stands in for Soweto this week

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Funny how the memory can play tricks. That was the first time I'd heard Dizzy's version of One Note Samba since school. One of the boys had a copy of the album; what I falsely recall is that after stating the theme the band went into straight 4/4 and took an open trumpet solo from Diz. The bebop-style piano solo does not really work for me here - I don't think you can play rhythmic tricks over a bossa beat - better to just play asymmetrical legato lines against the fixed 4/4 and create light tensions that way. My view, for what it's worth! Oh, and I have the original LP with Wally Plays the Blues, titled Humph at the Conway, with a great Trog cartoon across the front. I got my copy from Robin Whitcomb, who was with me at school. Sadly the cover got badly ripped at some stage, half the Trog cartoon is missing - but what is remarkable is that after what must be hundreds of playings the record still plays with little surface noise; for me it is one of the more exciting manifestations of British Trad from the time.

I can't help notice that Alyn has slipped a little comment below his listing of the Ella Fitzgerald track!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

I loved the chords Schifrin laid down prior to the solos were quite sublime. The Gillespie track was the stand out this afternoon.

The Wally Fawkes track was excellent .

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        I loved the chords Schifrin laid down prior to the solos were quite sublime. The Gillespie track was the stand out this afternoon.

The Wally Fawkes track was excellent .

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Nubya off to a flying start, with practically all tracks of interest, in particular Wayne Shorter and Robert Glasper. Transcend away, dear lady!

Comment

Working...
          X