• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Surf jazzes whiter - from the makers of famous deterrants

Sat 11 July
    5.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton presents listeners' requests for tunes by masters of the keyboard, ranging from the jazz-rock fusion of George Duke to the Harlem "stride" piano of Fats Waller.

6.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Claire Martin introduces a performance by New Focus recorded at the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh, and Phil Smith highlights the "surf jazz" of Finnish guitarist and composer Vatteri Poyhonen.

A concert performance given by the Konrad Wiszniewski/Euan Stevenson New Focus quartet.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Popularly dubbed "the high priest of bebop", Thelonious Monk (1917-82) was as gifted as he was eccentric, creator of a quirky piano style and a unique body of jazz compositions. Geoffrey Smith celebrates his genius with such classics as Round Midnight.

Geoffrey Smith celebrates the music of pianist Thelonious Monk, 'the high priest of bebop'

Sunday 12 July - BBC Radio 2
    9.00 Clare Teal

With Mark Armstrong, artistic and music director of the National Youth Jazz Orchestra, who talks about the orchestra's 50th-anniversary year.

Mon 13 July
    11.00 Jazz on 3

Jez Nelson introduces a concert in which Americans Myra Melford (piano) and Ben Goldberg (clarinet) join forces with British musicians Chris Batchelor (trumpet) Steve Watts (bass) and Tim Giles (drums).

Transatlantic quintet featuring Myra Melford, Ben Goldberg and Chris Batchelor in concert.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 11-07-15, 15:43.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Sat 11 July
    5.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton presents listeners' requests for tunes by masters of the keyboard, ranging from the jazz-rock fusion of George Duke to the Harlem "stride" piano of Fats Waller.

6.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Claire Martin introduces a performance by New Focus recorded at the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh, and Phil Smith highlights the "surf jazz" of Finnish guitarist and composer Vatteri Poyhonen.

A concert performance given by the Konrad Wiszniewski/Euan Stevenson New Focus quartet.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Popularly dubbed "the high priest of bebop", Thelonious Monk (1917-82) was as gifted as he was eccentric, creator of a quirky piano style and a unique body of jazz compositions. Geoffrey Smith celebrates his genius with such classics as Round Midnight.

Geoffrey Smith celebrates the music of pianist Thelonious Monk, 'the high priest of bebop'

Sunday 12 July - BBC Radio 2
    9.00 Clare Teal

With Mark Armstrong, artistic and music director of the National Youth Jazz Orchestra, who talks about the orchestra's 50th-anniversary year.

Mon 13 July
    11.00 Jazz on 3

Jez Nelson introduces a concert in which Americans Myra Melford (piano) and Ben Goldberg (clarinet) join forces with British musicians Chris Batchelor (trumpet) Steve Watts (bass) and Tim Giles (drums).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b061fr3k
    "Popularly dubbed "the high priest of bebop", Thelonious Monk (1917-82)"

Well, not that recently "popularly"! Long live the 1940s.

Or my my ex wife said to me a few weeks back, "I now really like that jazz pianist you went on and on about...Sibelius Monk?"

The Finnish fingering is a give a way.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

A French Polish Finnish?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

"Permit me to introduce myself, my name is Mr. Sheen" - Oscar Brown Jr.

Well OK, "Mr Kicks".

Close nuff.

BN.

Barry Sheen, the fastest Welsh two wheeled polisher?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          "Permit me to introduce myself, my name is Mr. Sheen" - Oscar Brown Jr.

Well OK, "Mr Kicks".

Close nuff.

BN.

Barry Sheen, the fastest Welsh two wheeled polisher?
          A la veneer!

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

One can mock, but if I may be so Bold to take an Ariel view, Jazz Line Up may not be Dazz-ling, and despite Claire Martin's predeliction with worn-out Jazz standards sung by (probably) worn-out female Jazz-singers, and her predeliction with third rate concerts from local Jazz clubs, still Jazz Line Up represents the future of Jazz programmes on Radio 3, imv.

Jon3 seems to have lost its edge (Bad Plus??), Geoffrey Smith is very uneven, and Jazz Record Requests? Well I just marvel at the longevity of all those Trad Jazz fans still requesting Humph et al after all those years.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

Oddball, JRR at least is in its listeners' hands. Although on his recent Wilen experience BN might say it takes an extremely long time to get some requests played, all of us on the programme welcome the biggest range of requests possible. The very lengthy careers of Humph, Chris Barber and others means that listeners may well have followed their work for half a century, and want to be reminded of their favourite bit, but then that's true of Miles or Sonny Rollins or Dizzy as well. It's a couple of months since a single Gillespie request came in, nobody's asked for Sonny for ages, and most Miles requests seem to be for Sketches of Spain or Porgy often for tracks recently played.... With a new 4CD set of Miles at Newport just out from Sony, maybe that'll change (it's here waiting to be played, but nobody's asked for it). To be fair, we've had a good number of recent requests for new young musicians heard at festivals and the like. But I'd say there's masses of core repertoire that just never gets asked for. Maybe boardees could take a look at the 200 or so Jazz Libraries on line, and see if those prompt any further ideas? Or follow up GSJ shows with what you think those programmes overlooked? Or ask for what (washing powder puns apart) ought to be scintillating us on JLU or Jo3?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                Oddball, JRR at least is in its listeners' hands. Although on his recent Wilen experience BN might say it takes an extremely long time to get some requests played, all of us on the programme welcome the biggest range of requests possible. The very lengthy careers of Humph, Chris Barber and others means that listeners may well have followed their work for half a century, and want to be reminded of their favourite bit, but then that's true of Miles or Sonny Rollins or Dizzy as well. It's a couple of months since a single Gillespie request came in, nobody's asked for Sonny for ages, and most Miles requests seem to be for Sketches of Spain or Porgy often for tracks recently played.... With a new 4CD set of Miles at Newport just out from Sony, maybe that'll change (it's here waiting to be played, but nobody's asked for it). To be fair, we've had a good number of recent requests for new young musicians heard at festivals and the like. But I'd say there's masses of core repertoire that just never gets asked for. Maybe boardees could take a look at the 200 or so Jazz Libraries on line, and see if those prompt any further ideas? Or follow up GSJ shows with what you think those programmes overlooked? Or ask for what (washing powder puns apart) ought to be scintillating us on JLU or Jo3?

Barney Wilen well worth waiting for Alyn! And many thanks once again. I have a Billie Holiday to request soon. By not for.

I think there is a big nostalgia factor with JRR and maybe "younger" people don't view music in the same way, they "consume" and jazz is just part of the mix.

BN.

As for "trad", well I'm the first to reach for the green ink and invective, but I have hugely enjoyed the Bechets, Dodds etc. etc., Its the 50s banjos that make me hurl wine bottles at Thad the Cat.

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                  Yes I absolutely agree Alyn, and I ought to put in a request myself soon.

But still I would welcome occasional direct intervention from yourself in order to balance/ unbalance the programme in favour of ....??? Perhaps music with a degree of intellectual interest, rather than family favourites ?

Comment

Working...
                  X