• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Someone for everything

Saturday 4 July
    5.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces listeners' requests, including recordings by pianist Harold Tapscott (from his 1996 album Thoughts of Dar es Salaam and jazz singer Lee Wiley.

Alyn Shipton's selection of music includes music by Horace Tapscott and Lee Wiley.

6.00 Jazz Line-Up
    An interview with Miles Davis's former guitarist Mike Stern, recorded in April backstage at Ronnie Scott's jazz club. Plus previously unbroadcast music by saxophonist Bobby Wellins and his group, recorded in January at the South Coast Jazz Festival, Shoreham-by-Sea as part of a special 79th birthday concert.

Saxophonist Bobby Wellins's 79th birthday concert from the 2015 South Coast Jazz Festival.

I met Mike Stern once, and a more affable, unbumptious person could not be imagined - quite the reverse of the prejudjed image I had had effectively in mind for all ax-wielding American jazz-rock guitar shredders - a description of his playing which by the way would also be a simplification.

Bobby's always been one of my heroes - one of our first to come up with his very own sound and approach.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    A celebration of American Independence day, with recordings featuring Sonny Terry, Wynton Marsalis, Carla Bley and Jazz at the Philharmonic.

Geoffrey Smith introduces music from Sonny Terry, Wynton Marsalis and Carla Bley.

Just imagine how jazz might have developed had the States not won Independence: John Coltrane improvising on "Greensleeves" eh? ...hardly bears thinking about!

Monday 6 July
    11.00 Jazz on 3

Cult American trio the Bad Plus perform music from their album Inevitable Western in a concert recorded last November in Shoreditch at the London Jazz Festival.

American trio The Bad Plus in concert at the 2014 EFG London Jazz Festival.

Perceptive analyst and interviewer though he is, I have yet to take to Mr Iverson's music.
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Saturday 4 July
    5.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton introduces listeners' requests, including recordings by pianist Harold Tapscott (from his 1996 album Thoughts of Dar es Salaam and jazz singer Lee Wiley.

Alyn Shipton's selection of music includes music by Horace Tapscott and Lee Wiley.

6.00 Jazz Line-Up
    An interview with Miles Davis's former guitarist Mike Stern, recorded in April backstage at Ronnie Scott's jazz club. Plus previously unbroadcast music by saxophonist Bobby Wellins and his group, recorded in January at the South Coast Jazz Festival, Shoreham-by-Sea as part of a special 79th birthday concert.

Saxophonist Bobby Wellins's 79th birthday concert from the 2015 South Coast Jazz Festival.

I met Mike Stern once, and a more affable, unbumptious person could not be imagined - quite the reverse of the prejudjed image I had had effectively in mind for all ax-wielding American jazz-rock guitar shredders - a description of his playing which by the way would also be a simplification.

Bobby's always been one of my heroes - one of our first to come up with his very own sound and approach.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    A celebration of American Independence day, with recordings featuring Sonny Terry, Wynton Marsalis, Carla Bley and Jazz at the Philharmonic.

Geoffrey Smith introduces music from Sonny Terry, Wynton Marsalis and Carla Bley.

Just imagine how jazz might have developed had the States not won Independence: John Coltrane improvising on "Greensleeves" eh? ...hardly bears thinking about!

Monday 6 July
    11.00 Jazz on 3

Cult American trio the Bad Plus perform music from their album Inevitable Western in a concert recorded last November in Shoreditch at the London Jazz Festival.

American trio The Bad Plus in concert at the 2014 EFG London Jazz Festival.

Perceptive analyst and interviewer though he is, I have yet to take to Mr Iverson's music.
    I've been trying for years without success to get the criminally overlooked pianist, Horace Tapscott played on JRR. It seems that someone has got lucky at last.
    'Thoughts of Dar Es Salaam' is a marvellous trio album well worth searching for.

JR

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

Dunno where "Harold" came from - it said "Horace" when the billing left me!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Spillett bang

Alyn's list of today's JRR - unusual selection, in some ways:

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Alyn's list of today's JRR - unusual selection, in some ways:

http://www.alynshipton.co.uk/blog/
          Hey, more Barney Wilen! Avec Kenny Dorham. Two heroes of these parts. This could be a trend! A Barney revival. And Rene Hall, who played on a lot of Sam Cooke's better sides...the Night Beat album?

No longer will I shout "not more fkg banjos!" and hurl my Algerian red at the stereo. ('Specially as I want a Billie Holiday track played in September).

Things are looking zup.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
            Dunno where "Harold" came from - it said "Horace" when the billing left me!
            Eeurrrh - just realised my mistake - sorreee!!! Must have been thinking of a composer called Harold Truscott when I transcribed, ahem. Not even a very interesting composer.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

BTW ref the Rene Hall track. There's a new much praised doc out on the LA "Wrecking Crew", the session group inc Earl Palmer and Plas Johnson etc who variously played on a mass of hit records from Eddie Cochran to Sonny and Cher, the Beach Boys, the Byrds and Nancy and Frank (Sinatra).

Looks good from the clips.

BN.

No banjos.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Eeurrrh - just realised my mistake - sorreee!!! Must have been thinking of a composer called Harold Truscott when I transcribed, ahem. Not even a very interesting composer.
                Off-topic, but I "read" Harold Truscott in the OP and did a double-take. No - not a particularly good composer (from the very limited amount I've heard) but an excellent teacher and writer on Classbo stuff.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X