Star aces, Scandwegians, rockin' around the clock-ins, but our Mann's gone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Star aces, Scandwegians, rockin' around the clock-ins, but our Mann's gone.

Sat 27 June
    5.00 Jazz Record Requests

Alyn Shipton's selection of listeners' suggestions contains music from young Italian saxophonist Tommaso Starace and from Herbie Mann, normally known for his flute-playing but featured today on the bass clarinet

Alyn Shipton's selection contains music by Herbie Mann and Tommaso Starace.

6.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph presents a Scandinavian-themed show, including a performance by Marius Neset and Daniel Herskedal in the unusual pairing of saxophone and tuba, recorded at the BBC's Pacific Quay studios in Glasgow. Plus music featuring the Five Corners Quintet, pianist Esbjorn Svensson (1964-2008) and a classic album in which saxophonist Jan Garbarek collaborates with Indian tabla master Zakir Hussain. (R).

Julian Joseph presents a Scandinavian-themed show featuring saxophonist Marius Neset.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    A sequence of songs about time, as measured by the clock, the calendar and the heart, with reflections coming from artists including Tony Bennett, Billie Holiday, Woody Herman and Miles Davis.

Geoffrey Smith presents a sequence of songs about time from Billie Holiday to Miles Davis.

Mon 29 June
    11.00 Jazz on 3
    Jez Nelson is joined by Memphis-born jazz great Dee Dee Bridgewater.

...whom some people on this forum like...?

Vocal highlights from the Jazz on 3 archives, chosen by special guest Dee Dee Bridgewater.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 27-06-15, 15:24. Reason: links insertions
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Elmo Hope (Order of Lenin) is playing on the JRR Clifford Brown ballad track but not in any solo capacity. Lou Donaldson does however get space to play his Parkers.

Looks a good little prog.

BN.

There's a great LONG version of "You go to my head"by Clifford, Joe Maini, Max et al on "Best Coast Jazz" from 1954. Kenny Drew does the excellent piano honours.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      Elmo Hope (Order of Lenin) is playing on the JRR Clifford Brown ballad track but not in any solo capacity. Lou Donaldson does however get space to play his Parkers.

Looks a good little prog.

BN.

There's a great LONG version of "You go to my head"by Clifford, Joe Maini, Max et al on "Best Coast Jazz" from 1954. Kenny Drew does the excellent piano honours.
      Thanks Bluesie

Here's the list from Alyn's blog, which I must try and remember to include in future:

To the lawn with my trusty outdated Walkman-type radio I am drawn. (The cassette player/recorder died years ago).

Comment

Working...
      X