• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

June nippers of the Bud

Saturday 13 June

5.00 Jazz Record Requests
    Alyn Shipton introduces listeners' requests, including recordings by saxophonist Gene Ammons, British clarinettist Mondy Sunshine and many others

Thanks for the extra "t" in the middle of "clarinettist", RT - I always knew it was me who was right, and not Spell Check!

6.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph presents a live session by Scottish trumpeter Colin Steele, recorded in April at BBC Scotland's Pacific Quay Studios on the banks of the River Clyde

Julian Joseph presents a session from Scottish trumpeter Colin Steele and his quintet.

Nowhere as grand down here - Surrey Quays just doesn't quite cut it...

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith trawls through the recorded output of saxophonist Jimmy Lunceford (1902-47), who led one of the swing era's most celebrated bands, delighting fans across America with spectacular stage shows

I have visions of Geoffrey sighing "Here we go again - what I do for the sakes of England", before launching himself into any number of cardboard boxes stored stuffed beyond memory. "Uptime Blues", anybody?

No link yet.

Monday 15 June

11.00 Jazz on 3

Jez Nelson presents British pianist Alexander Hawkins in concert with his trio

A worthy successor to Howard Riley, Keith Tippett, Veryan Weston and Alex Maguire in the Brit free jazz piano lineage, imho. Who have I missed???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054q5wm*

*This link awaits updating from last week, and Alyn has yet to come up with a link to today's JRR. I'll be out for the first part of this afternoon.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 13-06-15, 11:58.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Saturday 13 June

5.00 Jazz Record Requests
    Alyn Shipton introduces listeners' requests, including recordings by saxophonist Gene Ammons, British clarinettist Mondy Sunshine and many others

Thanks for the extra "t" in the middle of "clarinettist", RT - I always knew it was me who was right, and not Spell Check!

6.00 Jazz Line-Up
    Julian Joseph presents a live session by Scottish trumpeter Colin Steele, recorded in April at BBC Scotland's Pacific Quay Studios on the banks of the River Clyde

Julian Joseph presents a session from Scottish trumpeter Colin Steele and his quintet.

Nowhere as grand down here - Surrey Quays just doesn't quite cut it...

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Geoffrey Smith trawls through the recorded output of saxophonist Jimmy Lunceford (1902-47), who led one of the swing era's most celebrated bands, delighting fans across America with spectacular stage shows

I have visions of Geoffrey sighing "Here we go again - what I do for the sakes of England", before launching himself into any number of cardboard boxes stored stuffed beyond memory. "Uptime Blues", anybody?

No link yet.

Monday 15 June

11.00 Jazz on 3

Jez Nelson presents British pianist Alexander Hawkins in concert with his trio

A worthy successor to Howard Riley, Keith Tippett, Veryan Weston and Alex Maguire in the Brit free jazz piano lineage, imho. Who have I missed???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b054q5wm*

*This link awaits updating from last week, and Alyn has yet to come up with a link to today's JRR. I'll be out for the first part of this afternoon.

In the Quay of C,,,,

I think Geoff Smith is actually a repeat of his Ornette tonight, R3's token gesture to reality.

Thanks for putting this stuff up,

BN.

Max Roach smacked Ornette in the mouth at Five Spot, can that be true?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      In the Quay of C,,,,

I think Geoff Smith is actually a repeat of his Ornette tonight, R3's token gesture to reality.

Thanks for putting this stuff up,

BN.
      You could be right. Thanks!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

I am on an Ornette crusade!

Really interesting first hand tribute on Richard Williams Blue Moment blog,

BN.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Alyn on his blog..,,

Posted on June 13, 2015 by Alyn Shipton -
          " I’m away in Germany with Buck Clayton
          Legacy Band – will post playlist by Monday
          15th."

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

I saw Alexander Hawkins with John Surman about six months ago. I'd never heard of him before but was quite impressed. It was nice to hear Surman perform with someone other than John Taylor as well as mixing it up with a much younger generation of performers. The pianist seemed to relocate Surman's music away from the more folkloric style of contemporary jazz he has produced since the 1980's and maybe the most inspired coupling since Surman made the legendary "Amazing adventures of Simon Simon" with Jack DeJohnette. Shame this classic record is no longer available as it is potent reminder that ECM used to be right at the cutting edge of jazz as oppose to a heritage label.

I must admit that the most impressive British jazz pianist I've heard has been John Escreet and, for my money, he is probably one of the most interesting jazz pianists on the scene at the moment full stop.

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Wonderful Sonny Criss track with Hampton Hawes on JRR. From his last Prestige album 'I'll Catch The Sun'.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Yep always good to hear Sonny Criss a bluesin' In fact an enjoyable program with no Annie Ga Ga. And the Shearing record "Lull in my life"* is such a great tune rarely used in a jazz context. I only know Nat, Ella, Hank Mobley and Chris Anderson.

BN.

*Mack Gordon/Harry Revel

Comment

• MarkG
                  • Apr 2011

A rare appearance on JRR for this musician...

Marion Brown
                  Sweet Earth Flying Part 3
                  Performer: Steve McCall. Performer: Marion Brown. Performer: Muhal Richard Abrams. Performer: Paul Bley. Performer: Bill Hasson. Performer: Jefferson Hamer.
                  SWEET EARTH FLYING. IMPULSE. 2.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
                    A rare appearance on JRR for this musician...

Marion Brown
                    Sweet Earth Flying Part 3
                    Performer: Steve McCall. Performer: Marion Brown. Performer: Muhal Richard Abrams. Performer: Paul Bley. Performer: Bill Hasson. Performer: Jefferson Hamer.
                    SWEET EARTH FLYING. IMPULSE. 2.
                    And a rare appearance by your good self on this bored, Mark - welcome back!

I obviously must catch up on this JRR tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                    X