• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

New Turks

Sat 23 Sept
    5pm - J to Z

Julian Joseph pays tribute to pioneering multi-instrumentalist Sam Rivers (1923-2011) to mark 100 years since his birth, including a chance to hear an archive interview recorded in 2004.

12midnight - Freeness
    Corey Mwamba with miniature pieces by Turkish duo Fulya Ucanok and Zeynep Ayse Hatipoglu that generate maximal sounds full of space and scurrying movement. Through short vignettes, Cécile Broché, Russ Lossing and Satoshi Takeishi use subtle turns of sound to pull us into the bustle of Parisian streets, and Abe Mamet leads a luminous big band which had spent a month making music together in Italy. And taking self-made improvisations as a base, sound artist Seventh Shadow of the Sun builds structures infused with the kinetic force of tiny electron particles.

Corey Mwamba presents improvised miniatures that make maximal sounds.

Sun 24 Sept
    4pm - Jazz Record Requests

With Alyn shipton, including a special focus on US trumpeter and bebop pioneer Fats Navarro, who was born a century ago today, but died at 26.

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Superb opening track on this Sam Rivers tribute episode with an astonishing solo from Herbie Hancock - a great blindfold tester, I for one wouldn't have recognised apart from Rivers and Hubbard. "Contours" - one I've often been tempted to get. This was the kind of transitional modal hard bop to free that helped some of us in crossing the Rubicon.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Superb opening track on this Sam Rivers tribute episode with an astonishing solo from Herbie Hancock - a great blindfold tester, I for one wouldn't have recognised apart from Rivers and Hubbard. "Contours" - one I've often been tempted to get. This was the kind of transitional modal hard bop to free that helped some of us in crossing the Rubicon.
      No complaints about J to Z today. 90 minutes of real jazz and a superb tribute to Sam Rivers. More please!

JR

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

JRR today, Fats Navarro. I'm always surprised that his tune, "Nostalgia" based on Out of Nowhere is so comparatively little recorded. It's such a great one. Lee Morgan did it with Mobley and much more recently Roy Hargrove. Anyway, a fine tribute program.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          JRR today, Fats Navarro. I'm always surprised that his tune, "Nostalgia" based on Out of Nowhere is so comparatively little recorded. It's such a great one. Lee Morgan did it with Mobley and much more recently Roy Hargrove. Anyway, a fine tribute program.
          It was. I did find myself wondering about Alyn's opening comment about Fats having been compared favourably with Dizzy and Clifford Brown; I think Clifford was not yet on the scene before Fats' death?

Apart from the tribute tracks I thought the best choice today was the Emma Rawicz new CD release track; comparing her nicely paced playing (and the tune along with its arrangement) with the preceding Stan Tracey big band track with its over-confident hammers of ideas well past sell-by-dates was, to me, instructive. Stan in all likelihood feeling he was luxuriating in the company of young musicians more versed in the technical intricacies of bebop phraseology than most of his contemporaries had been will probably be thought a well-deserved reward for services rendered.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

True that Clifford did not record until 1952, but he was known to those on the scene before his first car accident in 1950, and in most books on the period Navarro is always cited as an influence on Brown. I didn't intend to give a timescale in the opening announcement, just to show the level on which Fats was playing.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Apart from the tribute tracks I thought the best choice today was the Emma Rawicz new CD release track;
              Indeed, as I mentioned a few weeks ago on the what jazz are you listening to thread, I gave Chroma a listen and was impressed...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Some boredees might be interested in Great Lives, Radio 4, Tuesday, 26 September, 4.30pm.
                ”The veteran film director Ken Loach picks a 17th-century radical: the leader of the Diggers, Gerrard Winstanley.”

The Tory presenter, Matthew Parris probably won’t approve!

JR

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                  Some boredees might be interested in Great Lives, Radio 4, Tuesday, 26 September, 4.30pm.
                  ”The veteran film director Ken Loach picks a 17th-century radical: the leader of the Diggers, Gerrard Winstanley.”

The Tory presenter, Matthew Parris probably won’t approve!

JR
                  Thanks - I must have overlooked that programme. Typical of the BBC to have a programme on this subject presented by a Tory, and a prominent one at that. WOKE up this morning. I've read somewhere else on my internet travels that Ken Loach is embarking on, or about to embark on his final intended film.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

"The Old Oak review – Ken Loach’s fierce final call for compassion and solidarity A northern pub landlord confronts locals’ hostility towards Syrian immigrants in Loach’s latest – and possibly last – piece of politically trenchant cinema" - Guardian

Meanwhile...Everyone should dig the Diggers. Not Sir Keir Keith Stumbler obviously.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Must get round to seeing Ken Loach's 'The Old Oak' and also the Kevin Brownlow/Andrew Mollo film 'Winstanley'.

After It Happened Here opened to rave reviews but disasterous distribution from the Hollywood studio that had purchased the rights, it took Kevin Brownlow and Andrew Mollo eleven more years to screw up the courage to create this historical film. For audiences, however, it was worth the wait, as their re-creation of t

JR

Comment

Working...
                      X