"And Did Those Feet", six British Jazz Composers (book forthcoming)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

"And Did Those Feet", six British Jazz Composers (book forthcoming)

"PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A PRE-ORDER; THE BOOK WILL BE PUBLISHED ON 19 OCTOBER 2023

ISBN: 978-1-9163206-6-6
    Hardback; English; 320 pages; gloss paper; large format (dimensions: 19.4 x 3.1 x 25.3 cm – weight: 1.5 kg); published: 19 October 2023

And Did Those Feet… examines in depth the lives and work of six British jazz composers – Michael Garrick, Mike Gibbs, Barry Guy, John Mayer, Keith Tippett and Mike Westbrook. Each of these musicians began their careers in jazz in the 1960s, years of artistic and political ferment and upheaval. Music historian Duncan Heining locates those beginnings in the context of changing times and shows how these composers’ work continued to develop whilst remaining influenced by values that continued to be informed by social and cultural concerns.

Duncan Heining began writing about jazz in the mid-nineties. He has written for a number of publications and websites. His other books include Stratusphunk – the Life and Works of George Russell (Jazzinternationale 2020) and Trad Dads, Dirty Boppers and Free Fusioneers - British Jazz, 1960-1975 (Equinox 2012).​"
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

It looks good.

Comment

• Pmb14.16
      • Sep 2023

Sounds fascinating. I’ve been a big fan of the three Michaels for almost 50 years, and always been astonished how rarely we hear music by any of them on R3. I guess the book’s title refers to Mike Westbrook’s Blake settings - wonderful stuff!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pmb14.16 View Post
        Sounds fascinating. I’ve been a big fan of the three Michaels for almost 50 years, and always been astonished how rarely we hear music by any of them on R3. I guess the book’s title refers to Mike Westbrook’s Blake settings - wonderful stuff!
        You'll hear choices of them on Jazz Record Requests, but rarely on other jazz programmes - no longer the "in thang", innit!

Comment

• Chris_T
          • Dec 2018

We've managed to persuade the Breakfast Show on Radio 3 to play a few of Mike Westbrook's pieces but the main jazz programmes have "moved on" it would seem

Comment

Working...
          X