X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Andrew Hill ~ Passing Ships

Andrew Hill's BLUE NOTE nonet album 'Passing Ships', recorded in 1969, is one of his most accessible but, inexplicably, had to wait until 2003 before being issued.
    One of my favourite tracks is the funky 'Plantation Bag' and, had it been released at the time, could have been as well known as Lee Morgan's 'The Sidewinder'.

Here it is: www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2kwCxyJWgE
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

This is absolutely brilliant. It doesn't sound too different from his later big and recording "Beautiful day" albeit a lot tighter and less sprawling. I love Hill's music but I don't think he recorded as often as he should with a big band. The band was due to tour the UK in the early 2000's but it was cancelled. One of my biggest disappointments as Hill is a major hero of mine.

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Two more overlooked Andrew Hill albums from the mid-1970s, originally released on the obscure Japanese EAST WIND label:

Andrew Hill: Blue Black and Nefertiti article by Kevin Ray, published on June 4, 2006 at All About Jazz. Find more Multiple Reviews articles

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

from "Blue Black" (1975), East Wind (Japan).Andrew Hill - piano ;Jimmy Vass - soprano saxophone ; Chris White - bass ;Leroy Williams - drums.Written by Andre...
      Last edited by Jazzrook; 11-06-15, 09:49.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
        Two more overlooked Andrew Hill albums from the mid-1970s, originally released on the obscure Japanese EAST WIND label:

Andrew Hill: Blue Black and Nefertiti article by Kevin Ray, published on June 4, 2006 at All About Jazz. Find more Multiple Reviews articles

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YulJGDlvKwM
        Andrew Hill played the UK/Bath Fest with a big band in 2003....I have the R3 90s well hidden from radiation.

"Andrew Hill Big Band, recorded May 24, 2003 at
        the Bath Pavillion as part of the 2003 Bath
        International Music Festival

Line-up:
        Tony Kofi, Jason Yarde - alto saxophones
        Denys Baptiste, Greg Tardy - tenor saxophones
        Phil Todd - baritone saxophone
        Ron Horton, Noel Langley, Chris Storr, Byron
        Wallen - trumpets
        Roland Bates, Pat Hartley, Fayyaz Virji -
        trombones
        Andy Grappy - tuba
        Andrew Hill - piano
        John Hebert - bass
        Nasheet Waits - drums

Set list:
        Not Sa No Sa
        Smooth
        Bellezza Apposita
        Divine Revelation
        New Pinocchio
        Flying In The Sky"

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

"Grass Roots", recorded in 1968 with Lee Morgan, Booker Ervin, Ron Carter, with Freddie Waits on drums, was announced at the time as being less out than Hill's earlier output, and we heard "Venture Inward" on one of the programmes of the time:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I'm feeling rather chuffed with myself right now, yesterday having documented all tracks tranferred onto cassette in the early 1990s when my father's reel-to-reel finally gave up the ghost after 35 years of faithful service - this being my first-ever Andrew Hill and one of them.

Among other things I skipped, to give a flavour, that programme also featured a movement from Duke Ellington's "Sweet Thursday" suite, "Volcano" from the Kenny Clarke/Francy Boland Big Band, and all 14 minutes of Miles Davis's "Toute de Suite" from "Filles de Kilimanjaro" - which I could not stop playing and re-playing in sheer fascination.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

The Andrew Hill big band was supposed to visit Basingstoke but the gig was cancelled at the last moment. Probably one of my biggest regrets is that I never got to see Andrew Hill play. Most of the material comes form the album "Beautiful Day" which was lauded by the critics yet not as good as the previous small group album "Dusk." Odd how similar the "Passing ships" records sounds to the later Big band offering.

Thinking about SA's tape collection, it is intriguing how this captured the mainstream and more exotic elements of jazz. Andrew Hill seems to me to be really connected to Ellington's approach. I see so much similarity in their music, both from the point of view of writing and from piano playing. The two of them seem totally divorced from the then current mainstream (compare with the big band bop of KC / FB Big Band) yet latched on to a quality that defines jazz in a timeless manner. The whole style of thinking almost seems to be totally devoid of Western Classical inspiration even though Hill studied with Hindemith. The way that they both played the piano and how it dovetails in to the orchestrations represent something that strongly appeals to me. On the other hand, you have albums like Miles Davis "Filles de Kilimanjaro" which is one of his last truly great studio offerings which started the ball rolling in taking the music away from the Ellingtonian concept. The Davis album works because the music still retains an edge and a restless and agitated energy. It's weird that Davis' blend of jazz and rock seemed to take a life of its own to the extent that the rock influence is really hard to tell on this record these days whereas Hill's music seems totally timeless.

"Grass Roots" is a really good album. I love the Latin track "Mira" but the juxtaposition of Hill's angular piano with a funkier ensemble than usual isn't exactly easy listening or soul jazz. Hill was remarkably consistent although "Point of departure" is actually one of my least favourite records of his. "Black Fire" is essential.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              The Andrew Hill big band was supposed to visit Basingstoke but the gig was cancelled at the last moment. Probably one of my biggest regrets is that I never got to see Andrew Hill play. Most of the material comes form the album "Beautiful Day" which was lauded by the critics yet not as good as the previous small group album "Dusk." Odd how similar the "Passing ships" records sounds to the later Big band offering.

Thinking about SA's tape collection, it is intriguing how this captured the mainstream and more exotic elements of jazz. Andrew Hill seems to me to be really connected to Ellington's approach. I see so much similarity in their music, both from the point of view of writing and from piano playing. The two of them seem totally divorced from the then current mainstream (compare with the big band bop of KC / FB Big Band) yet latched on to a quality that defines jazz in a timeless manner. The whole style of thinking almost seems to be totally devoid of Western Classical inspiration even though Hill studied with Hindemith. The way that they both played the piano and how it dovetails in to the orchestrations represent something that strongly appeals to me. On the other hand, you have albums like Miles Davis "Filles de Kilimanjaro" which is one of his last truly great studio offerings which started the ball rolling in taking the music away from the Ellingtonian concept. The Davis album works because the music still retains an edge and a restless and agitated energy. It's weird that Davis' blend of jazz and rock seemed to take a life of its own to the extent that the rock influence is really hard to tell on this record these days whereas Hill's music seems totally timeless.

"Grass Roots" is a really good album. I love the Latin track "Mira" but the juxtaposition of Hill's angular piano with a funkier ensemble than usual isn't exactly easy listening or soul jazz. Hill was remarkably consistent although "Point of departure" is actually one of my least favourite records of his. "Black Fire" is essential.
              "Compulsion" with Gilmore and Hubbard is a great record although it took me quite a while to realise it. Very African with associated percussion. He certainly stretched the form on Blue note.

Also what became on final release "Change" with Sam Rivers as the only horn. Reminds me of Elmo at times.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post

Ian ~ I agree with you about 'Black Fire'. I was bowled over on first hearing this powerful and passionate album in the mid-60s and it still sounds fresh and exciting over 50 years later.

Jazzrook

Comment

Working...
                X