• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

To Whit, to woo

Saturday 23 May:

5.00 Jazz Record Requests
    Sixty years ago, saxophonist Wardell Grey was found dead in the desert outside Las Vegas at the age of 34. In his selection of listeners' requests, Alyn Shipton remembers this giant of the saxophone, the riddle of whose disappearance has never been solved. There's also music by Argentinian pianist Lalo Shifrin and British cornettist and broadcaster Digby Fairweather.

Annie Ross devised a vocalisation based on a Wardell Gray solo for her tune "Twisted", thereby summing up about all I know about Mr Gray.

6.00 Jazz Line-up
    First broadcast of concert music by New Focus featuring saxophonist Konrad Wiszniewski and pianist Euan Stevenson, recorded in March at the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh. Phil Smith shines the spotlight on Finnish guitarist/composer Vatteri Poyhonen and his "surf-jazz" project Dalindeo.

The guy with the Polish-sounding surname is good, I tell you.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Pianist William "Red" Garland (1923-84) was the linchpin of Miles Davis's great 1950s band. Geoffrey Smith picks up highlights from his work with Miles, John Coltrane and his own hard-driving combos.

Red always seemed to have a special approach for Miles, but sounded like too many other hard bop pianists in other contexts, to my way of thinking. Maybe I've got that wrong, and this programme can correct me.

Monday 25 May:

11.00 Jazz on 3
    American saxophonist Joe Lovano explores the link between West African music and jazz with his Village Rhythms Band.

Joe Lovano - the friendly guy with the strongest handshake you'll ever encounter!

And people might like the following, next Tuesday (26 May) on Radio 2:

10.00 Fats Waller and Al Capone
    US jazz vocalist Kurt Elling sets out to uncover the mystery surrounding an encounter between influential jazz pianist and songwriter Fats Waller (1904-43) and Chicago gangster Al Capone (1899-1947). Kidnapping, brothels and speakeasies all figure [was this written by an American? S_A] with musicians and jazz critics addressing conflicting versions of this story that had Fats Waller forced (at gunpoint) to agree to play a gig for America's most notorious criminal.

The Kray Brothers were known to be jazz fans of a sort; they ran a place in Walthamstow in the late '60s which helped keep the wolf from the door for some of our younger homegrown jazzers who stayed the course while others went Rock.

Same night, Jamie Cullum interviews Kamasi Washington in his hour-long programme at 7.00 on Radio 2.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Saturday 23 May:

5.00 Jazz Record Requests
    Sixty years ago, saxophonist Wardell Grey was found dead in the desert outside Las Vegas at the age of 34. In his selection of listeners' requests, Alyn Shipton remembers this giant of the saxophone, the riddle of whose disappearance has never been solved. There's also music by Argentinian pianist Lalo Shifrin and British cornettist and broadcaster Digby Fairweather.

Annie Ross devised a vocalisation based on a Wardell Gray solo for her tune "Twisted", thereby summing up about all I know about Mr Gray.

6.00 Jazz Line-up
    First broadcast of concert music by New Focus featuring saxophonist Konrad Wiszniewski and pianist Euan Stevenson, recorded in March at the Royal Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh. Phil Smith shines the spotlight on Finnish guitarist/composer Vatteri Poyhonen and his "surf-jazz" project Dalindeo.

The guy with the Polish-sounding surname is good, I tell you.

12.00 Geoffrey Smith's Jazz
    Pianist William "Red" Garland (1923-84) was the linchpin of Miles Davis's great 1950s band. Geoffrey Smith picks up highlights from his work with Miles, John Coltrane and his own hard-driving combos.

Red always seemed to have a special approach for Miles, but sounded like too many other hard bop pianists in other contexts, to my way of thinking. Maybe I've got that wrong, and this programme can correct me.

Monday 25 May:

11.00 Jazz on 3
    American saxophonist Joe Lovano explores the link between West African music and jazz with his Village Rhythms Band.

Joe Lovano - the friendly guy with the strongest handshake you'll ever encounter!

And people might like the following, next Tuesday (26 May) on Radio 2:

10.00 Fats Waller and Al Capone
    US jazz vocalist Kurt Elling sets out to uncover the mystery surrounding an encounter between influential jazz pianist and songwriter Fats Waller (1904-43) and Chicago gangster Al Capone (1899-1947). Kidnapping, brothels and speakeasies all figure [was this written by an American? S_A] with musicians and jazz critics addressing conflicting versions of this story that had Fats Waller forced (at gunpoint) to agree to play a gig for America's most notorious criminal.

The Kray Brothers were known to be jazz fans of a sort; they ran a place in Walthamstow in the late '60s which helped keep the wolf from the door for some of our younger homegrown jazzers who stayed the course while others went Rock.

Same night, Jamie Cullum interviews Kamasi Washington in his hour-long programme at 7.00 on Radio 2.

"....the riddle of whose (Wardell Gray) disappearance has never been solved."

He did a runner when he knew La Ga Ga was upcoming on JRR. Can't blame him.

Comment

• charles t
      • Nov 2010

Wardell Gray found dead in the sands outside the Las Vegas desert...

Albert Ayler found floating in the East River in New York...

Beyond comprehension...

My fav Wardell cut:

Last edited by charles t; 24-05-15, 18:30.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

The Whit Friday Brass Band Marching Contests next Friday!!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

plus Peter Broetzmann, Hear and Now, Tectonics Festival:

Comment

• clive heath

To Whit, to woo, "t'wisted", is a favourite Wardell Grey track,

Wardell Gray, tenor; Al Haig, piano; Tommy Potter, bass; Roy Haynes, drums. Recorded in 1949.

partly because of Annie Ross' version with LHR

Annie Ross Twisted (1960) Original instrumental version by Wardell Gray,Lyrics by Annie Ross,from the album Lambert,Hendricks,and Ross.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
              To Whit, to woo, "t'wisted", is a favourite Wardell Grey track,

Wardell Gray, tenor; Al Haig, piano; Tommy Potter, bass; Roy Haynes, drums. Recorded in 1949.

partly because of Annie Ross' version with LHR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjOpm-KL-A
              Yes of course - Wardell's tune, not Annie's - as I should have checked before positng my OP.

Comment

• clive heath

In fact, I should apologise to you S-A for not reading your OP properly, which I skipped as the first three progs had already occurred and I latched on to "The Chase" and then said my bit which ought to have been phrased less abruptly.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

The Kamasi Washington interview will be interesting. I have not heard his own music but he appeared on the last recordings made by Gerald Wilson's big band and his tenor playing was one of the standout features. He was extremely impressive on these discs and sounded a bit like Pharaoh Sanders.

You can hear quite a bit of Wardell Gray on the recordings made by Benny Goodman in the late 1940's when he stsrted to experiment with be-bop. "The chase" has always left me cold and as much as I love the jazz of the late 1940's, this track has always struck me as exceptionally boring. The idea of jam sessions defining the "ideals" of jazz seems long gone. Nowadays the oeuvre is tainted with the idea of heads played in unison and an endless stream of round-the-block solos. It is strange that the master of jam sessions , Buck clayton, appears to have written parts for his legendary assemblies. There are some moments on the early JATP which are very exciting ("The Blues" with Les Paul / NKC) but Clayton's bands of swing era stalwarts effectively ensured that the jam session ideal would never be better again. These sessions distil the essence of the jazz prior to and during the emergence of be-bop with a roster of soloists so original and distinctive the effect of the record is a musical kaleidoscope with each distinctive musical personality followed by another.

Comment

Working...
                  X