The source of John Coltrane's 'Impressions'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

The source of John Coltrane's 'Impressions'?

In 'The Essential Jazz Records - Volume 2'(MANSELL, 2000) Stuart Nicholson writes "about halfway through Ahmad Jamal's 1955 version of Morton Gould's 'Pavanne', the guitarist Ray Crawford can be heard playing the secondary theme, an eight-bar melody that would become John Coltrane's Impressions".

Here it is: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrTx5evEHM4
  • muzzer
    • Nov 2013

Isn't it a contrafact of So What?

Comment

• burning dog
      • Dec 2010

1 min 32 sec

Comment

• burning dog
        • Dec 2010

1 min 20 sec

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post

1 min 20 sec
          From Ahmed to Miles to Trane?

There's an Art Farmer/Quincey Jones record from the early-ish 50s, "Mau Mau", that directly prefigures the Love Supreme riff. It was a common latin band device. Yusef Lateef used it also in the 50s on Savoy.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            From Ahmed to Miles to Trane?

There's an Art Farmer/Quincey Jones record from the early-ish 50s, "Mau Mau", that directly prefigures the Love Supreme riff. It was a common latin band device. Yusef Lateef used it also in the 50s on Savoy.

BN.
            Bluesnik ~ Any idea of the title of that Yusef Lateef track with the 'A Love Supreme' riff?
            I have quite a lot of Lateef's SAVOY stuff.
            Here's that 1953 Art Farmer 'Mau Mau' track with the same riff: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3OYzFcla5c

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
              Bluesnik ~ Any idea of the title of that Yusef Lateef track with the 'A Love Supreme' riff?
              I have quite a lot of Lateef's SAVOY stuff.
              Here's that 1953 Art Farmer 'Mau Mau' track with the same riff: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3OYzFcla5c
              Its really annoying - all my Yusef Savoys are on two tapes and I can't find it. It's in the run out to one track and he plays/snaps the ALS riff on the bottom of the horn. I will go thro them again at the weekend, never a chore because I really like those recordings a lot.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Its really annoying - all my Yusef Savoys are on two tapes and I can't find it. It's in the run out to one track and he plays/snaps the ALS riff on the bottom of the horn. I will go thro them again at the weekend, never a chore because I really like those recordings a lot.

BN.
                Hope you find the tapes, Bluesnik.
                Played Lateef's 'The Last Savoy Sessions'(1957/59) recently. No sign of 'A Love Supreme' but some wonderful music and a heartfelt version of 'Lover Man' from 'Prayer to the East'. Such an underrated tenorist.

From the album "Prayer to the east". Yusef Lateef (fl,ts), Wilbur Harden (fh), Hugh Lawson (p), Ernie Farrow (b), Oliver Jackson (dr).
                Last edited by Jazzrook; 26-05-15, 10:06.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                  Hope you find the tapes, Bluesnik.
                  Played Lateef's 'The Last Savoy Sessions'(1957/59) recently. No sign of 'A Love Supreme' but some wonderful music and a heartfelt version of 'Lover Man' from 'Prayer to the East'. Such an underrated tenorist.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTTAdNjsymY
                  It is there! I'm not dreaming! At the end of a track Yusef does that low end thing on tenor and its ALS!

I thought it was "Morning" but its not. Why not?

Really great going back thro all the tracks tho. If these records had been on Bluenote ....

BN.

Only found out this wk/end that Alice Coltrane was briefly married to Kenny Haygood in Paris c. 1960. Now that IS nerd stuff. Ck/ouf Kenny talking/singing with Guy Lafitte....Paris, "Body and Soul" on Utube. I have NOW aquired that ultra rare 10" vinyl. Heepski better than La Ga Ga La Ya Ya ...ga ga ga
                  Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 26-05-15, 10:53.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

It is there! I'm not dreaming! At the end of a track Yusef does that low end thing on tenor and its ALS!

I thought it was "Morning" but its not. Why not?

Really great going back thro all the tracks tho. If these records had been on Bluenote ....

BN.

Only found out this wk/end that Alice Coltrane was briefly married to Kenny Haygood in Paris c. 1960. Now that IS nerd stuff. Ck/ouf Kenny talking/singing with Guy Lafitte....Paris, "Body and Soul" on Utube. I have NOW aquired that ultra rare 10" vinyl. Heepski better than La Ga Ga La Ya Ya ...ga ga ga
                    At last! The Savoy Yusef with the Love Supreme ride out is "Happyology" with Fuller etc. Lots of arabic chanting front and back but Hugh Lawson's piano at the end slots into the ALS riff, albeit, syncopated.

I claim my 100euros and will now depart to the Johnny Sartre sextet gig. Hell is other musicians.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                      • Mar 2011

Many thanks, Bluesnik. It's from Lateef's 1957 'Jazz For The Thinker' which I don't have! Intend to remedy that by getting 'Four Classic Albums' on AVID.
                      'Happyology' also on YouTube: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruv3pUMHlrE

JR
                      Last edited by Jazzrook; 06-06-15, 09:44.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Jazzrook

I see that there is a track from Yusef Lateef's double album with the Belomondo Brothers on JRR tomorrow. This is one of the crowning achievements in European jazz over the last ten years. I heard this music performed in Vienne and was absolutely staggered by the quality of the writing. Some of the charts are by Chrisophe Del Sasso who is a major talent in jazz orchestration. (He previously studied with Dave Liebman.)

I am amazed and pleased that this record has manifested itself on JRR and I would totally recommend that you make a date with the radio tomorrow as I think this music is something very special indeed. Someone obviously has brilliantly good taste to have requested this record. The Belmondo Brothers are my favourite French jazz musicians.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                          Jazzrook

I see that there is a track from Yusef Lateef's double album with the Belomondo Brothers on JRR tomorrow. This is one of the crowning achievements in European jazz over the last ten years. I heard this music performed in Vienne and was absolutely staggered by the quality of the writing. Some of the charts are by Chrisophe Del Sasso who is a major talent in jazz orchestration. (He previously studied with Dave Liebman.)

I am amazed and pleased that this record has manifested itself on JRR and I would totally recommend that you make a date with the radio tomorrow as I think this music is something very special indeed. Someone obviously has brilliantly good taste to have requested this record. The Belmondo Brothers are my favourite French jazz musicians.

Cheers

Ian
                          Thanks for the tip, Ian. Pity it's not the complete track but will have my finger poised over the record button! I see this double CD 'Influence' is available via Amazon at a very reasonable price.

Jazzrook

Comment

Working...
                          X