X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

Tommy Smith Sextet

I can't find the particular thread wherein there were scurrilous scofferings re:
    Tommy Smith (his Torah release).

If you are unemployed or retired (ne: 'unemployed with status') check-out the 2nd tune
    on this - Easter Island - with a super-sensitive solo by John Taylor:

Born and raised in Edinburgh, Scotland, Tommy Smith is a big-toned tenor saxophonist who has played both straight-ahead jazz and fusion. It ...
    Last edited by charles t; 19-04-11, 20:33.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

it is near the last post on the album for today thread Chas
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

And here's the promo video for his new quartet album, Karma:

Tommy Smith's new album "KARMA"April 2011http://www.tommy-smith.co.uk

I first saw him in Edinburgh when he was a teenage prodigy from one of the poorest council schemes in the UK (a "project" for transatlantic boardees), and there were regular benefit concerts to get together enough money to send him to Berklee. He's one of the most technically impressive saxophonists I've ever heard.

He's also massively important as a jazz educator, role model, and general mover and shaker on the Scottish jazz scene.

But I do to some extent have to agree with Ian: the concert I saw by the sextet with Joe Lovano, John Scofield etc. was exceptionally disappointing. I thought the Glasgow show must just have been an off night until I read Ian's comments on the Southampton gig. I don't know how such talented musicians managed to be so dull. Only John Taylor acquitted himself well.

But to end on a more positive note: The Peacocks with Gareth Williams.
      Last edited by Guest; 19-04-11, 22:40. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

There's a fairly substantial interview with Tommy Smith on Radio Scotland's "The Jazz House" this week. Available via the iPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b010xzx1.

It takes up most of the first hour and contains quite a bit of music. He's mainly promoting his current projects (a tour by his electric band Karma, and some dates with ex-Miles sax player Bill Evans and the Scottish National Jazz Orchestra), but also confirms that the Arild Andersen / SNJO live album will be coming out on ECM.

Comment

Working...
        X