X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

Last JRR of March

The playlist can be found here: http://www.alynshipton.co.uk/2015/03/jrr-28-march-2015/
    Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 28-03-15, 15:29.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

oooops nearly messed with your post there Alyn; thanks for the playlist

can't choose
    Africa - Shake Keane, t; Wilton Bogey Gaynair, ts; Terry Shannon, p; Jeff Clyne, b; Bill Eyden, d. June 1960.

Stompin at the Savoy - Zoot Sims, ts; Stan Tracey, p; Kenny Napper, b; Jackie Dougan, d. 1961

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

I was once told - in no uncertain terms - that if I had not heard of Wilton "Bogey" Gaynair, I should get out of this large man's way...

Oh by the way, everyone should be made to hear the first track on the programme, just to note how far ahead of everybody CT was in 1956. Prepare thyself to have any preconceptions re-configured.

And thanks for posting the list Alyn.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

The Cecil Taylor track was terrific. I'd not heard this before and was staggered that something like this could have been recorded a year after Charlie Parker's passing. In some ways it was quite traditional. The sense of swing was something any jazz fan would have recognised. I felt that Taylor sounded very similar to Herbie Nichols on this recording - an association I'd never made before. The more orthodox lines he produced we very like Nichols and the interplay with the drums is also I associated with him too. However, there were elements thrown in to the mix which were startling and didn't seem to belong to jazz from the era. Whilst you couldn't consider this as "mature" CT, it is revelatory to think that the 1956 recording date was contemporary with the emergence of Miles' first great quintet, prior to Coltrane's own first master-pieces, prior to Blue Note really started to hit it's "Hard Bop" stride and even before something like "The atomic Mr Basie." Hearing that track certainly makes you wonder what the mainstream was at that time. From a perspective of rhythm , it was of it not so different from Herbie Nichols yet the disregard of harmony must have shocked jazz fans of the time, especially if they were still coming to terms with the likes of Gerry Mulligan or Chet Baker.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
          The Cecil Taylor track was terrific. I'd not heard this before and was staggered that something like this could have been recorded a year after Charlie Parker's passing. In some ways it was quite traditional. The sense of swing was something any jazz fan would have recognised. I felt that Taylor sounded very similar to Herbie Nichols on this recording - an association I'd never made before. The more orthodox lines he produced we very like Nichols and the interplay with the drums is also I associated with him too. However, there were elements thrown in to the mix which were startling and didn't seem to belong to jazz from the era. Whilst you couldn't consider this as "mature" CT, it is revelatory to think that the 1956 recording date was contemporary with the emergence of Miles' first great quintet, prior to Coltrane's own first master-pieces, prior to Blue Note really started to hit it's "Hard Bop" stride and even before something like "The atomic Mr Basie." Hearing that track certainly makes you wonder what the mainstream was at that time. From a perspective of rhythm , it was of it not so different from Herbie Nichols yet the disregard of harmony must have shocked jazz fans of the time, especially if they were still coming to terms with the likes of Gerry Mulligan or Chet Baker.
          Agree with what you say, Ian. You should get Cecil's 'Jazz Advance' pronto. Here's his version of Monk's 'Bemsha Swing' from that great 1956 album:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Agree with what you say, Ian. You should get Cecil's 'Jazz Advance' pronto. Here's his version of Monk's 'Bemsha Swing' from that great 1956 album:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AFf8HpVFuw
            Cecil Taylor - "Looking Ahead" (Contemporary 1958). One of the great 50s albums, with space to breath and added vibes by Earl Griffith, from before Cecil became the Avant-Peterson wall to waller. A firm favourite at the duck house pre relocation. And after.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Jazzrook
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                Cecil Taylor - "Looking Ahead" (Contemporary 1958). One of the great 50s albums, with space to breath and added vibes by Earl Griffith, from before Cecil became the Avant-Peterson wall to waller. A firm favourite at the duck house pre relocation. And after.

BN.
                Bluesnik ~ I can remember buying Cecil's 'Looking Ahead!' together with 'The Best of Little Walter' back in the early '60s. The assistant at Dobell's gave me a very strange look!
                It's a pity Earl Griffith didn't make any other recordings - he's one of my favourite vibes players.

Jazz journalist James Hale's observations on the contemporary music scene, festivals, events and whatever he's been listening to.
                Last edited by Jazzrook; 31-03-15, 09:52.

Comment

Working...
                X