• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... something almost being sad, spring is near

Julian J highlights Scandinavian jazz this week in JLU
    including a performance by Marius Neset and Daniel Herskedal featuring the unusual pairing of saxophone and tuba, recorded at the BBC's Pacific Quay studios in Glasgow.
    i am not sure about tubas in jazz .....

Geoffrey plays his faves this week from Charles Parker ... first jazz of the month and a repeat of a sleep walk really .... time for more editorial punch i feel .... views?

Jon3 is unmissable for me
    Saxophonist Branford Marsalis's quartet is one of the most revered and long-established ensembles in contemporary jazz. Growing up in New Orleans as part of the Marsalis dynasty that includes his pianist father Ellis and trumpeter brother Wynton, Branford's music communicates a deep reverence for the jazz tradition while also reflecting a career that has taken in funk, R&B and performances as a classical soloist. With only one change in personnel in over a decade, his quartet has an almost telepathic sense of interplay and an intense, adventurous spirit. Marsalis is joined by Joey Calderazzo on piano, Eric Revis on bass and drummer Evan Sherman in this performance recorded at the 2014 EFG London Jazz Festival, presented by Jez Nelson.
    a programme that demonstrates why jazz should be on R3 - where else such an extended play of such high quality and demanding music?

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Thanks Calum!

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    Shabaka Hutchin's Son's of Kemet Royal British Legion Marsden JazzFestival1http://www.facebook.com/MarsdenJazzFestival/posts/108733635944192

?

(Not so sure about two drummers in this group though)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

a programme that demonstrates why jazz should be on R3 - where else such an extended play of such high quality and demanding music?
      Jazz FM?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Jazz FM?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Shame that so few people want to listen to jazz.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Could be something to do with the shirt that Phil Woods in wearing in that photo. Is it a real picture or has it been photo-shopped. It makes him look like Freddie Mercury. I'd never buy a record with something like that on the cover. Looks very dodgy.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              Could be something to do with the shirt that Phil Woods in wearing in that photo. Is it a real picture or has it been photo-shopped. It makes him look like Freddie Mercury. I'd never buy a record with something like that on the cover. Looks very dodgy.
              Ah, it's the Wild Man of the Woods, don't you see?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Jazz is the world's best kept secret.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Julian J highlights Scandinavian jazz this week in JLU
                  Perhaps not - but there's some other good stuff in here (well, as at 18:23:55 anyway!)

OG

Update: I think I can probably manage without the tuba too...

... tabla on the other hand - I do like that in this context, as exemplified in the Zakir Hussain tracks chosen by Mr LeGendre
                  Last edited by Old Grumpy; 28-02-15, 20:08.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Ah, it's the Wild Man of the Woods, don't you see?
                    I can't believe that Woods would ever wear gear like that. The album cover looks really gay. Reid Miles would have had a fit!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                      Perhaps not - but there's some other good stuff in here (well, as at 18:23:55 anyway!)

OG
                      Well, the Zakir Hussain album is the best of the bunch so far. It is a shame to realise that ECM used to turn out quality and original albums in the 1980's but when the covers became dark and uninteresting, you had to be more discerning before picking up anything that Eicher produced. Nowadays, it is a bit more austere although it looks like having the potential to improve with the increasing signing of more orthodox jazz musicians.

I can't stand Scandi jazz but was curious to check out Neset. For me the music from the Scandi countries seems increasingly divorced from "real jazz" and I don't buy in to the "universal language" of music so much these days. The problem with these albums is that the musicians have stacks of technique but what they produce is largely cosmetic. The "Neck of the woods" album sounded stunning for the first few minutes but it just seemed to be FM friendly, lightweight stuff in the end.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                        What's wrong with Freddy Mercury's looks?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Jazz is the world's best kept secret.
                          Well I can't believe that it's not possible to have a viable (audience numbers) Jazz-specific FM radio station/channel.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

What's wrong with Freddy Mercury's looks?
                            1. He has a very dodgy moustache.

2. It looks like he was wearing someone else's dentures.

3. A propensity to wear "wife-beater" t-shirts such as the one sported by Mr Woods above.

Surely this is not a look that you would favour? That album cover must be the worst fashion disaster in the history of jazz.

Got to turn the Norwegian tuba stuff off - can't bear it.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Well I can't believe that it's not possible to have a viable (audience numbers) Jazz-specific FM radio station/channel.

It isn't that it hasn't worked, more that it hasn't been tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X