• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

...that bend of sunlight at the Cedar Tree

JLU pays birthday tribute to Bobby Wellins on his 79th ..... and loads more Mr Wellins and the health to go with it! ..... and a couple of new cds

Geoffrey is a repeat of the Lester Young programme from 2013

Jon3 does fusion noise

American horn players Andrew D'Angelo (alto sax/bass clarinet) and Nate Wooley (trumpet) take the lead in a searing front line, whilst Icelandic guitarist Hilmar Jensson and Belgian keyboardist Jozef Dumoulin join in frenzied grooves. Alongside Verbruggen in the engine room is American bassist Tim Dahl - whose presence in bands named Pulverize the Sound and Retrovirus hints at the heaviness in store.
    and meets Antonio Sanchez composer of the soundtrack for the award-winning film Birdman, for an interview and exclusive solo performance ...

[i am still checking out the piano duo from last week!]

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Thanks once again, Calum.

I don't like what these days apparently passes for Scandinavian fusion, whether of the high energy or atmospheric varieties but frequently plugged in trumpets; but the Wellins set tomorrow looks interesting because Bobby often responds best to surrounding himself by more contemporary stylists such as he has on here. It will be interesting to hear how Geoff Simkins, an under-recognised very accomplished player of an early Art Pepper mould, deals with this.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Great set from Bobby Wellins on JLU. I was intrigued to hear M. le Gendre address Bobby Wellins as "Mr Wellins" throughout his interview. Yo, Respect! :Respect emoticon:
      Looking forward to Under Milk Wood at the Gateshead International Jazz Festival, featuring one Mr Wellins.

OG
      Last edited by Old Grumpy; 21-02-15, 20:43.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

I think I called him Bobby most of the time during the Jazz Library, with no lack of respect - but then I have known Bobby for almost forty years, and played with him in the 70s back in Hampshire... http://www.podcastchart.com/podcasts...-bobby-wellins

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

In my limited experience Bobby is usually the easiest of people to get on with. But, forgive me if I've told this story on here or the previous forum before, I once saw Bobby Wellins play with Stan Tracey at a certain venue in Essex which had better remain nameless. The regular sound mix guy was your typical rocker, long lanky hair, "hey I never did a jazz gig before" etc. At the end of the first number, Bobby called out, "Would you mind turning up my monitor please? I can hardly hear myself", to which the guy answered, "Are you sure you want to?" "Hey, just you watch it laddie" said Bobby, adding, "remember, I come from Glasgow!"

Comment

Working...
          X