... nix gangnam style the beat is bop ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... nix gangnam style the beat is bop ...

JLU does something really interesting:

Julian Joseph presents concert music from 'Supersax Korea' recorded at the Unterfahrt Jazz Club, Munich. This collaborative concert , between musicians from Europe and Korea, was masterminded by German bassist Martin Zenker. During his studies in South Korea, at the Music Department at Kyung-Hee University, Zenker became an integral part of Seoul's burgeoning jazz scene. In South Korea, particularly the capital of Seoul there is a real thirst for jazz, the country welcomes many international musicians who come to visit and teach at the music conservatories and to perform at the various venues including the Jarasum International Jazz Festival which attracts over 100,000 visitors every year.

The musicians for tonight's musical exchange include:
    Kim Jeeseok, alto saxophone, soprano saxophone
    Jin Purem, alto saxophone
    Im Dalkyun, tenor saxophone
    Michael Lutzeier, baritone saxophone
    Paul Kirby, piano
    Martin Zenker, bass
    Kim Minchan, drums.
    i bet that 100,000 is more than London!

plus a feature on Martin Zenker

and new recordings ...now that is a jazz programme eh!

Geoffrey ponders the Kansas City connections with Big Joe Turner and Helen Merrill

Jon3 gives us:
    American piano stars Robert Glasper and Jason Moran perform as a duo, in one of the most talked-about performances of the 2014 EFG London Jazz Festival.

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

The Zenker set was a bit like listening to something from a time warp. I thought that he was impressive as a bassist yet the music was far more retro than the billing suggested.

I'd read a lot of about Marius Neset but last night's programme was the first time I had heard his music. Slick and professional, it summed up for me why so much contemporary European jazz sometimes sounds bland. I had been told that he was an edgier player. The track selected seemed almost like smooth jazz. Won't be going to his gig at the Turner Sims.

Comment

Working...
    X