X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Stanley Cowell & Charles Tolliver

Pianist Stanley Cowell & trumpeter Charles Tolliver will be at the Barbican on March 22 telling the story of the STRATA-EAST label which they founded in 1971.

Here they are on Cowell's beautiful composition 'Equipoise' from Max Roach's overlooked 1968 album 'Members, Don't Git Weary'(ATLANTIC):

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Strata East is a major contribution to the art .... much favoured in the blogosphere ahem ...
      thanks for the pointer burning dog
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Good to hear the track "Equipoise."

I've seen both Charles Tolliver and Stanley Cowell, the latter in an all-star quartet with Logan Richardson, Tarus Mateen and Nasheet Waits. I bumped in to Stanley Cowell after the gig and he was amazingly approachable. He is one of the true gents of jazz and I had a long conversation with his about jazz piano. I thought he was a really top bloke.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

Charles was a guest on the first live Jazz Library show from the Front Room at the QEH. He talked about his current big band which was on the festival (2007) and we played a couple of tracks. While the first one was playing, he gestured at me to say he wanted a quiet word off mike. So I leant over to him and he hissed in my ear "Hey man, where did you get those SHOES!" The next piece by the band was spent trying to explain to him about the current sale at a well-known high street retailer.... great man.

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

This is from a great Big band album of 71, only easily available on CD via Tollivers own website on Jazzcorner by the look of it.

Some of the tracks are on youtube though

Charles Tolliver's official website features sound bites, recording information, biography, electronic press kit and contact.
            Last edited by burning dog; 04-02-15, 10:46.

Comment

Working...
            X