X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    A lot of Kenny SA, working thro it all slowly! Now listening to Keith Bailey? with Nick Evans, Harrison Smith, Chris Mcgregor etc. A freeish jazz outfit, Prana, from c. late 70s? The scarey thing with these tapes is that he's let them run out to the closing news.....Thatcher in full rampage! I reach for my AK47.
    I have that Prana set too - I was very surprised on first hearing it until I remembered Chris McGregor was as much into Schoenberg & co as into Scottish Presbyterian hymns-cum-Kwela-influenced Cape Town gospel jazz. Keith Bailey was keith Tippett's original drummer in Ovary Lodge - the free improvising quartet he set up with Julie and Roy Babbington in the later days of Centipede - Babbington subsequently being replaced by Harry Miller and Bailey by Frank Perry. Simon Fell must be one of the last remaining figures creating idiomatic contexts for improvisers of this kind - Barry Guy seems positively mainstream these days by comparison.

Back to the thread topic, I think I'm right in saying that that particular version of Dusk Fire with the NJO from '68 is the only one to have been recorded. Mike told me he lost that original score and had to come up with a new version. I still think the original was never surpassed.
    Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 27-12-14, 16:11.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
      • Dec 2010

Great stuff. I did a bit of home taping in the 80s, and still have the tapes. I have Courtney Pine's first studio session for Jazz Today there.
      all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• clive heath

maybe I was hallucinating but I heard what I thought was "Caravan" from Lambert Hendricks and Ross somewhere today ? oops: I did but it wasn't on JRR which I listened to almost in it's entirety quite by chance missing out the Manhattan Transfer track which caused my confusion. Missed the Petrucciani announcement and thought of Bill Evans which I shouldn't have (well, maybe could've) done as have seen MP with his trio in the South Bank sometime in the 1990s. Amazing performer.
        Last edited by Guest; 27-12-14, 20:24. Reason: senior moment

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
          JRR which I listened to almost in it's entirety quite by chance missing out the Manhattan Transfer track which caused my confusion.
          ...I deliberately avoided Birdland by Manhattan Transfer....didn't want that particular ear worm rotating in my ear for the following week....

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

er the whole family caught the bug we were all humming along with it!

careful with the mushrooms Clive!
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• clive heath

...not the mushrooms, Calum, for my sins I've never inhaled or gone off piste, it was the Newcastle-London journey that lead to the confusion accompanied by Vol. 3 of Rod Stewart's superb easy listening American Song-Book ( Nidler, Parton, Clapton and Wonder guesting) and a CD from a Jazz Collection (5CD set) which had a fascinating Bill Evans, Tony Scott track as well as the misplaced LHR. However for routiers we managed a nice little trick on the A1 finding ourselves in a bouchon somewhere Eaton Socon we diverted to the A 428 and took the minor road south through Little Barford and rejoined the A1 at Tempsford to find an empty A1 south and a stationary A1 north indicating for those who care about such things that on busy days the A1 A421 junction is a no-no. Finished off JRR at home but found quite a lot of the tracks luke-warm, only impressed by the Webster,Tatum and Dinah Washington, and not by the caterwauling sax on the NJO. Jarrett was particulary boring. The last two tracks were fine so a pretty good result for JRR as far as I'm concerned...but I am no way a typical listener having never made a request ever.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                • Nov 2010

Clive you can always make amends - send a request to jazz.record.requests@bbc.co.uk ....

Comment

• clive heath

Asked for that, didn't I ?! Happy New Year to JRR and all who sail in her.

Comment

Working...
                  X