X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Jazz record of the year ~ 2014

Seeing as it is approaching the end of November, I suppose that it is time to nominate the best jazz CD's of 2014. I think this year has been a terrific year with some cracking albums in all types of styles and probably one of the best for new releases for a good number of years. However, there is one record that has really stood out for me and that is Jason Roebke's " High / red / centre" which pitches his octet in the kind of territory somewhere between Duke Ellington and Eric Dolphy's "Out to lunch." The band includes a number of formidable players including Jason Adasiewicz, josh Berman and the irrepressible Jeb Bishop. For me, this is firmly in the tradition yet is so typical of the non-compromising jazz that is coming out of Chicago at this point in time. Roebke's record is easily the stand out disc in 2014 as far as I am concerned.

I think that Delmark is emerging as the "go to" label for creative jazz. As well as issuing Roebke's record, they also released Paul Giallorenzo's "Force majeure" which again incudes Jeb Bishop as well as the under-appreciated Mars Williams. Based on very simple musical ideas, the results are brilliant. I also love Ari Brown's "Groove awakening" which is modest in it's scope yet manages to be one of the most enjoyable records that I have heard this year. There is no way that anyone won't enjoy Brown's effort. Again, Ari Brown is a Delmark artist.

Otherwise, I though Jeff Ballard's trio record "Times Tales" was fascinating but if his line up of guitar / drums / saxophone wasn't quite of the same stature of Paul Motian's legendary trio, they performed a wide range of material including works by "Queens of the stone age", Bela Bartok and George Gershwin. Still, I felt that Ballard was ambitious in his intensions and Lionel Loueke a maverick wild card who revels in the unexpected.

As far as best big band record is concerned, Steve Owen's "Stand up eight" is a fascinating discovery and recommended to anyone who digs Maria Schneider. I'd not heard of him before but was fortunate enough to meet him this year and to hear him lead a student orchestra through his repertoire. Love this record which also nods towards Gil Evans.

In the SA "European / improv" category I would have to single out the duo "Ortie" that features the clarinet's of Elodie Pasquier and pianist Gregoire Gensse in a selection of well thought out themes with extensive improvisation. The music covers a wide range of moods and themes but the creativity and shear enjoyment of their music-making makes this a record well worth checking out.

It would be interested to hear what the other contributors here nominate......
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

Mark Turner - Lathe of Heaven
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

lik ethat Roebke Ian and the Mark Turner

however this is my lid flipper of choice

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• charles t
        • Nov 2010

FYI - what readers of Downbeat liked in 2014:

Comment

• elmo
          • Nov 2010

Ian

I have just checked out the Jason Roebke and the Ari Brown on youtube and very impressed - I have just ordered both up. I am familiar with Ari Brown and have a number of albums by him, love his sound and approach very much in the tradition of Von Freeman and Fred Anderson.

I have been buying quite a few of the Delmarks in recent years and agree that Chicago is going through a particularely creative period. I have bought the latest Jason Adasiewicz trio album on Delmark, "Sun room: from the region" as far as vibes are concerned he is the best kept secret since Walt Dickerson. This new album has all the fire and drive that you associate with those classic Jackie Mc lean Bobby Hutcherson Blue Note albums but in no way is it a copy or pale imitation, this is the real thing - modern original music, highly recommended Jason is one to watch.

Its nice to be in such accord with you on this Ian cos we are poles apart when it comes to Hank Mobley.

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
            Ian

I have just checked out the Jason Roebke and the Ari Brown on youtube and very impressed - I have just ordered both up. I am familiar with Ari Brown and have a number of albums by him, love his sound and approach very much in the tradition of Von Freeman and Fred Anderson.

I have been buying quite a few of the Delmarks in recent years and agree that Chicago is going through a particularely creative period. I have bought the latest Jason Adasiewicz trio album on Delmark, "Sun room: from the region" as far as vibes are concerned he is the best kept secret since Walt Dickerson. This new album has all the fire and drive that you associate with those classic Jackie Mc lean Bobby Hutcherson Blue Note albums but in no way is it a copy or pale imitation, this is the real thing - modern original music, highly recommended Jason is one to watch.

Its nice to be in such accord with you on this Ian cos we are poles apart when it comes to Hank Mobley.

elmo
            Jazz died with Hank Mobley. If Rock died when Elvis joined the army and politics died when Trotsky took the icepick (or when Blair became leader of the Newts....you be the judge), after Hank it was all rank.

But the fightback starts now. Or tomorrow.

BN.

Comment

• elmo
              • Nov 2010

I'm with you (a fellow welshman from Pembs)

Mobleyise the ducks Bluesie and we will flush out the anti Hank factions.....

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Today's revolutionary jass slogan!

"No room for squares!"

Duck power...stronger by the hour!

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Flush with Pride!

Comment

• elmo
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    Today's revolutionary jass slogan!

"No room for squares!"

Duck power...stronger by the hour!

BN.
                    We will need regular breaks during the campaign when the ducks start "Dippin" and need "Peckin time"

God what have we started!!!

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                      We will need regular breaks during the campaign when the ducks start "Dippin" and need "Peckin time"

God what have we started!!!

elmo
                      Coming soon on R3..."Ducks and Dizzy", how hip ducks inspired the birth of modern jazz. Charlie Parker, "all I knew was Johnny Hodges until Lester took me to feed those crazy ducks in Cental Park....one Eb7/9 quack and I knew how to play! "Melody for Mallards?" I taught Miles ALL those cool et crazy chords in 1951. Ducks? Monk made Lady Nica dress as one! Lotsa feathers, webbed slingbacks........"

Archie Shepp..."A love supreme"? Man, that was supposed to be "A Duck Supreme". Trane wanted to fire McCoy and Elvin and bring in two ducks he'd heard in Chicago. I said "Trane, the world ain't ready yet".

BN.
                      Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 26-11-14, 15:24.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

this thread may well be called to the attention of the appropriate authorities for fomenting the revolutionary duck pondate
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

Elmo

Glad you share my enthusiasm for the work of Roebke and Adasiewicz. The recent Delmark albums have been terrific , in my opinion and even the revisionist bands like the "Fat Babies" are surprisingly good. If you are impressed the Roebke disc, you should also try Josh Berman's "Here now" which has a very similar line up but plunders the repertoire of Eddie Condon as well as a number of originals to devastating effect. The clarinettist Guillermo Gregorio is a revelation and his contribution does allow this disc to be compared favourably with Bob Brookmeyer's "Traditionalism re-visited."

Adasiewizc can also be heard on this disc too and he also features on Nicole Mitchell's "Ice crystals " which is good albeit I think her previous effort with Jeff Parker is even better. I've got one album by Jeff Parker which is the one Delmark release which is a little bit under-whelming but my experience is that obscure musicians on this label like Malachai Thompson, Brad Goode and Ari Brown frequently put the CD's by more celebrated artists in the shade.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Talking of those who work/ed in a kind of 'Step Beyond' Jackie Mclean mode, has anyone, Ian?, have any views of the youngish US altoist Steve Lehman? He was a pupil of Jackie and conducted one of the best later interviews with him. Jaymac a fan of Poulenc, who would have thought.

There's some good stuff on Youtube but I think he's moved on to more abstract forms. For want of a better phrase.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

I've not checked Lehman out but his name cropped up in connection with another artist's record last week.

The "Step beyond" band seems to me to have cast a long shadow in to the 21sr century. Dave Holland's quintet had the same line up and was likewise consistently excellent whereas JA's "Roll down" captures the same feel but with cornet in lieu of the trombone. Staggering that this approach still sounds so modern.

I think I've linked to this ear worm before:-

Comment

Working...
                              X