• Tom Audustus

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
    Mark Turner - Lathe of Heaven
    Agreed.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Tim Garland's Songs to the North Sky has been living up to Mr Fordham's five star review these last months; prefer it to the delightful Cohen album in my post above

and repeated listening has sharpened my sense of both its quality and ambition as music making .... Tin Garland really is a major figure imho
      Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 02-12-14, 12:38. Reason: more emphasis
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Not really a combatant here, as I only purchase CDs when absolutely necessary when everything else has failed.

But Jazzwise magazine puts Michael Wollny on top, followed by Phronesis and Christine Tobin.http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/brea...-the-year-2014

Daily Telegraph seems to echo Downbeat choices.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

and that is why i no longer read jazzwise magazine .... really quite trivial aesthetic judgement to place such jejune work so high .... mebbe the judges/critics are it sounds very dope head music .... just like est

the telegraf list has two outstanding albums Trio 3 with Vijay Iyer and the Norma Winstone but although there are many solid recordings not much to touch the stars

Garland's work is a major and ambitious statement of a great musician and jazz artist that seriously raises the game; i think it is the best album of 2014 on a global basis not merely british ... and feel it is time to recognise his stature
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Les Temps Mallards...

"The outstanding jazz record for us this year is "This is our weed" by the Max Mallard Sextet (Pondlife 67450). Building on Ed Waddler's 1960s free jazz classic, "Quackin'!" this is a stunning example new wave webbery. The track "Feedin' Time" where Max explores the upper reaches of his beak rivals Ayler in its emotional and political charge. If you thought jazz was dead and the avant was over, check out this remarkable CD and support these hip young artists. With bread. And lobby R3 for some gigs in 2015."

"I had them in my Jo3 studio once .. messed up all over the lino". - Jez Nelson.

"Banjos hot... Ducks not"- A. Shipton JRR

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Mullard et Boulanger C'est toi qui je veux

[Video] Hylda Baker & Arthur Mullard - You're The One That I Want [totp2] (Wiggy St Helens UK 2008)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

Of the polls, the Telegraph selection looks most "switched on". The Iyer recording is interesting as it follows on from this trios encounter with Jason Moran and is to be followed by another with Gerald Clayton - now a member of Charles Lloyd's new quartet.

I'm surprised by some of the lists as they are full of records by "big names" and maybe not reflective of the best of their output. The last Metheny disc was ok but not as good as the previous one, in my opinion. I'm increasingly fining that the most interesting / rewarding records over the last 3-4 years are not necessarily on big labels nor by familiar names. Alan Ferber was a new one to me last year and his big band album was a revelation. Ditto the stuff coming out on Criss Cross which doesn't go for the big production / guest artist approach favoured by some. For my money, the best recordings tend to be by regular bands and not ad-hoc all star sessions conjured up in the studios. I quite like hearing emerging talent or lesser names who seem to be more on the button with getting consistently good albums out on the shelves.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

i warned you about that pondicated duckness thing

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Evan Parker said that Derek Bailey used to keep a pet duck in the first old Martin acoustic he had. Everytime Bailey played a straight E major chord, the intro to "Move it" or tuned up even, the duck would peck and rip his hand through the sound hole.

That's how that style was formed. Free jazz=Free Ducks.

BN

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Napoleon Rules! Ponidcate revisionism is double plus ungood! Drones will be sent [Inuit nose variety!]

Comment

• charles t
                        • Nov 2010

Thank you, indeed, Calum for championing Tim Garlands's To The North which I am bookending with the 2009 LIBRA - sharing similar configs, i.e., The Lighthouse Trio / Royal Phil Orchestra.

Also ordering from FMR Records: Lammas featuring Tim and O' Canada! wonder, Kenny Wheeler.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

thanks for the solidarity charles t!

and let us also recall the Acoustic Triangle albums!

i repeat, Mr Garland's Songs to the North Sky is a work of serious ambition, excellence and imagination ....

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

This is a more credible list, I think, and not only because it includes my favourite:-

Troy Collins' Best Releases of 2014 article by Troy Collins, published on December 17, 2014 at All About Jazz. Find more Year in Review articles

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

ah only American eh .... jazz is global ... The Seventh International triumphs the Progressive Red Wedge in Wales [well at least Bluesnik does] and no it is not a thong worn by Cardiff City supporters ... not to forget our friends in the North and the Geordie Jazz Front and active formations of the people's great cause are making sure that all is not glum in Brum

Comment

• PUSB
                                • Jul 2011

I agree about the Ari Brown record - very enjoyable.

Comment

Working...
                                X