X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Jazz Line-Up Saturday 22 November

Art Themen, one of my favourite "British" saxophonists and another of the too-easily overlookeds, heads up today's JLU, also including other faves such as Christine Tobin and a young man I regard as today's answer to the great Larry Young, (Ross Stanley, you presume), not playing Philip Hammond.

Julian Joseph marks saxophonist Art Themen's 75th birthday with music and reflection.

Don't forget - toon in at 6!
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Art Themen, one of my favourite "British" saxophonists and another of the too-easily overlookeds, heads up today's JLU, also including other faves such as Christine Tobin and a young man I regard as today's answer to the great Larry Young, (Ross Stanley, you presume), not playing Philip Hammond.

Julian Joseph marks saxophonist Art Themen's 75th birthday with music and reflection.

There's a picture on the R3 website of Art and Julian Joseph...JJ is morphing into Oscar Peterson! '- No surprise there?!.... Always liked Art with.Stan Tracey....stretchin.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      There's a picture on the R3 website of Art and Julian Joseph...JJ is morphing into Oscar Peterson! '- No surprise there?!

BN.
      Isn't he just???!!!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Fully lived up to expectations, IMV.

A treat, particularly the Art Themen feature.

OG

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Good, intelligent tribute (Julian Joseph is very good at this musician to musician stuff) and a reminder of a time when not every brightish seventeen year old had a three disc contract with Bluenote* or was R3's Young Artist of the afternoon.

Just someone modest, but more than average ability who just wanted to play. There used to a bunch of those in every town. Of all the Gin Joints in all the Valleys.

There was a tenor player called Danny Sheppard who played around Bath in the 70/80s. Lovely player in Webster to Dexter mode. Just happy to play pubs.

BN. (164)

* Yes, I know Lee Morgan had a Bluenote contract when he was just 3 but he was LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "BIG EARS" MORGAN.

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

[QUOTE=BLUESNIK'S REVOX;444790Good,

* Yes, I know Lee Morgan had a Bluenote contract when he was just 3 but he was LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "BIG EARS" MORGAN.[/QUOTE]

"Indeed" he was!

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Lee really did have amazing ears in every sense. Just looked at early Bnote session picture with Hank Mobley and Wynton Kelly. Lee looks about 12.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

The Art Themen session was pretty good and I especially liked the version of "Played Twice." I never understand why Winston Clifford is so under-appreciated.

Intrigued by the comments regarding Lee Morgan as I was playing the "Sidewinder" recently and had forgotten how good this session was. It's strange how the hit quality of this record has seen the disc pigeon-holed as a typical Blue Note session. It's actually far more adventurous that I recalled with the more orthodox element being represented by Barry Harris and perhaps Morgan himself whereas Henderson just spoils out some remarkable improvised lines. However, it is the drumming of Billy Higgins, in total contrast to the typical Blue Note / Hard Bop style, that makes this an essential record for any collection. "The sidewinder" is a bizarre record that is held in high esteem by my fans but still very much under-rated as the fine piece of art it is. The more you listen to it, the more you get out of this record as it is much, much more than the blowing session. The title track may be fantastic but tracks like "Boy, what a night" are dispatched with a confident swagger and degree of elan that demands the record is placed in the pantheon of the best records on the label.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Agree totally with that Ian. It's a great record and Henderson is the kicker.

A much misunderstood session

BN.

Always liked Barry Harris's comment about doing his best to be funky (Sidewinder) , but if they wanted THAT they should have booked say, Bobby Timmons!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Some of Harris' fills and openings of solos show how much he was listening to the other members of the band. I hadn't played this record for ages as it always felt like in was already "in my head" and there was no need to listen again. I was staggered just how good it was - probably the best example I can think of concerning a record that is taken for granted.

Comment

Working...
                    X