X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Two new books due to be published about Blue Note Records

I am sure that many of you will be pleased to learn that there will be two new books published about Blue Note in the next couple of months. I've never read any of Ashley Kahn's books but his latest tome about the celebrated label will be hitting the book stalls in January.

Later this month, Richard Haver's "Uncompromising Expression" is published for anyone who is feeling flush. I had bought his earlier book about the Verve label as a birthday present for my Dad. That volume is a nicely presented effort that charts the origins of Norman Granz' label and includes mini-biographies of the musicians as well as copies of the original album art. If the Blue Note book is half as book, it will be a "must have" acquisition."

Verve is something of a neglected label for me but it always seemed to have a far more commercials agenda which makes the revelation that label owner Granz had Communist affiliations quite perplexing. I haven't read the book in full and only dipped in. Whilst I was aware of Granz' commitment towards the artists on his roster, his political leanings were hitherto unknown to me. You would have imagined that the resultant music championed by someone with very left wing opinions would have been most esoteric and less familiar than someone who championed the likes of Oscar Peterson, in my opinion the least interesting and relevant of all the jazz musicians who came to the fore in the 1950's. There are some classic albums on Verve such as the Ellington / Hodges "Back to back" session which is probably amongst the five greatest small group jazz records of all time. Albums like "Krupa plays Mulligan" are surprisingly incredible and the compilation of Woody Herman tracks from the mid-50's called "Hey, heard the heard ! " only served to demonstrate just how savvy this bandleader was. Granz also captured musicians as significant as Basie, Lester Young, Dizzy, Bill Evans, Billie Holiday, etc even if the recordings he produced by the likes of Wes Montgomery and Jimmy Smith are seen as low points in their recorded careers. Despite this, he did issue some records which may rightly be considered to be classics. Granz is a perplexing character and Verve a strange label mixing uncompromising jam sessions, the best of the then current mainstream and records by the likes of Armstrong & Ella, Getz/ Gilberto, etc which smacked of overt consumerism . Haver's book is a thing of beauty and when I looked through, it was a very gripping read and lavishly illustrated. The reader almost becomes seduced by the content and it seems to include music by such a range of brilliant musicians you almost forget Granz' inability to recognise either the Avant Garde or much of the jazz that came before Basie and largely miscued as far as the major developments in the late 1950's / 1960's were concerned. Can't recollect anything that might be considered as Hard Bop being recorded by Verve. For me, Verve is a bit of a mixed experience - some great music and some pretty average music and nothing ever likely to upset anyone. If you like, if was a serious jazz label for people who might not necessarily be 100% jazz fans.

Blue Note is, in my opinion, a label that is looked at with far greater affection than Verve and is crying out for the kind of attention that Havers have to Granz' labels. If anything, Blue Note is the one label that seemed to have it's finger truly on the pulse throughout it's heyday with only it's commitment to singers and big bands really lacking. The legendary care and attention with which the music was rehearsed, recorded and marketed means that even the album covers are subject to loving scrutiny. This label deserves a proper assessment, especially as the usually excellently perceptible critic, the late Richard Cook's own effort was a huge let down in my opinion. Cook seemed to concentrate on the original of the label and chronicle it's demise whilst missing out the detail on the recordings that everyone wanted to read about. I usually liked Richard Cook's writing as he was a writer who would have you scampering off to explore new things, but this book was extremely disappointing. I'm hoping that both Havers and Kahn will strip away the veneer of the myths built up around Blue Note and shed light on the whole range of the label's output. Like the Decca Basie recordings, the output of Blue Note generally has matured to perfection. There are some efforts which are better than others but I am glad that there looks to be at least one book, if not two, which can chronicle that magic that Alfred Lion managed to conjure up. Judging by the information on this website, the Havers book looks the most exciting thing to happen this year since Saints stormed to second in the PL table!

Last edited by Ian Thumwood; 11-11-14, 19:37.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

France Musique did a nice two hour tribute to "Bluenote at age 75" this week. The usual tracks played but good to be reminded again how good Freddie Hubbard was in his prime.

Richard Williams has a (as usual) well written piece on the same on his current Blue Moment blog, including a nod to the new book you mention. A comment down memory lane from me re Kenny Dorham is also there. Like you I thought the Richard Cook book was just routine and a missed chance.

As for Verve I am sure there is some good there....the Webster/Hawkins dates are great... but there is too often just a slinging of the usual suspects in a studio.. .I'm sure Lester and indeed Dizzy could have been better served with more imagination.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Bluesnik

I think the problem with both labels was that they relied on the same roster of musicians. Of the two, Verve probably produced a broader spectrum of jazz but I don't feel they managed to get the consistent level of perfection that Blue Note achieved. It is an interesting conundrum how jazz record owners seem to impose their own criteria on records. The first label to really do this was Commodore in the 1930's (I didn't know until two weeks ago when a colleague at work mentioned to me that the label was run by the actor Billy Crystal's parents) which specialized in small group jazz and captures the likes of the KC6 and Muggsy Spanier. The earlier Blue Note recordings followed the identical train of thought and produced records by the likes of Meade Lux Lewis and Sidney Bechet but really only stumbled on to their "house style" by the mid 50's. For me, Blue Note is the jazz label par excellence and had a lot more going for it than a rake of Hard Bop session - Alfred Lion so probably more adapt than anyone until Manfred Eicher to achieving a label aesthetic. However, he wasn't quite as lazy as Granz and the idea of musicians jamming on standards or producing on-the-spot blues in the studio was the antithesis of what he wanted to create. It is almost as if he realised that full formed compositions, tightly rehearsed and with a roster of musicians who could work well with each other as cross genres would ensure that the music would endure more than say the countless, last sessions that Granz oversaw. Maybe I'm being harsh on Granz who was one of jazz's "good guys" but the "success" ratio of Blue Note was considerably higher. Can you actually name any terrible Blue note albums? Anything slightly suspect was shelved and even the unreleased material frequently comes up trumps. There is a tremendous amount of great jazz that can be found on Atlantic, Contemporary, Prestige, Riverside, Candid, etc, in that era even without concerning the bigger labels like CBS who had money to throw at talent like Brubeck and Davis but I feel that, other than Miles and Coltrane, Blue Note set the standards for small group jazz in the 1950's and 60's and set a legacy unequalled by any other label. I think Lion knew he had the tools to make superior products and was savvy enough to realise that the musicians on his roster represented the greatest jazz composing talent outside of Ellington / Strayhorn. The only composers of note he missed were Mingus , Dameron (on the slide by late 50's through prison / drugs), Gerry Mulligan, George Russell and Gil Evans - the latter three largely associated with larger ensembles by 1960's. Lion had the likes of Silver, Clark, Shorter, Hancock, Henderson, Monk, Nichols, Hill , Rivers and even Cecil Taylor on board and therefore secured a chunk of the future jazz repertoire. I'm not convinced that Granz ever cottoned on to the requirements of composition (I suppose he had Gary McFarland) but none of his labels produced a body of jazz repertoire. If anything, future labels like Pablo were even worse - a series of lazy sessions by veteran jazz musicians often passed their peak and churning out the same type of material you might have expected to have heard on a JATP tour in 1955. If Blue Note has a legacy it is that nearly all contemporary jazz records consist of newly written material and the days of hastily assembled bands ploughing through blues, riffs and ad hoc medley's of Broadway show tunes on new records is something as archaic as your banjos. There is a warm glow of nostalgia with Verve whereas Blue Note is the template for any jazz record worth it's salt.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Well Lion always insisted that the themes were well played even at the expense of a better solo on another take. That's why he lost his rag at the Dexter/Stitt date designed to possibly bring Sonny Stitt on board. Both were well over refreshed.

Mingus said he disliked the way Van Gelder recorded the bass. How true I don't know, perhaps he had other reasons to avoid the label.

Clef and Verve leave me cold in the main. When I started listening they were always the records someone's elder brother had. That "chug" under Lester put me off for years.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

BN do you still have a box of C60s with the Hard Bop Soft Focus series I did on Blue Note on their 65th? Time was when Radio 3 did devote 3 hours to such a subject on Jazz File...

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
            • Nov 2010

Cripes - it wasn't ten years ago! It was 1997 - just found this: http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/9064a62b6...f251c0c52f18b0

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Yes I do Alyn! When I was listening to the two France Musique programs, admirer as I am of their output, I thought there was a time when R3 really did this in more depth and at greater length. I still go back to all the Jazz Library programs etc. and find something new. As with your Jackie Mclean features. If it was valid for the BBC to allow time and a seriousness to the music then, why not now? And I was the first to complain back in the day that THAT was not enough!

"Things are NOT getting better"

BN.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

From Richard Williams' "Blue Moment" Blog...

"...Richard Havers’ Uncompromising Expression is published by Thames & Hudson (£48). Havers
                will be talking to Don Was, the label’s current
                president, on November 22 at the South Bank
                Centre as part of the EFH London Jazz Festival
                (tickets here). That night at the Festival Hall a
                celebratory concert features representatives of the
                label’s current roster, including Robert Glasper
                and Jason Moran."

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

The reference to "current roster" is interesting as I think a number of musicians who recorded for the revitalised Blue Note have now left. I know Dianne Reeves has now gone to Concord and Greg Osby doesn't seem to have recorded anything for a while. Jason Moran isn't exactly prolific - I think the last album before his recent Fats Waller tribute was about four years ago. Probably fair to say that a label like Criss Cross is probably more like the Blue Note of old than the current label.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Bluesnik

I have to disagree with you about the comment of "chug" behind Lester Young as it's the kind of comment that used to be employed to disparage a lot of the pre-bebop jazz. regarding Verve, I don't think the problem is the fact that the rhythm sections employed were more "old-fashioned", it was rather that they seemed over-reliant on Oscar Peterson and especially alongside someone like Herb Elllis on guitar. For me, this combination was a bit like throwing a bucket of cold water over a cooking front line - I don't like Peterson as opposed to not liking the combination of guitar and piano. The old Basie rhythm section of the Count / Green / Page / Jones is terrific - in fact anything with Jones on drums is terrific. In comparison, any rhythm section with Peterson on is going to be a bit bland as all the excitement is washed out of the ensemble by the manner in which he dominates the band.

Concerning Lester Young, he's almost beyond criticism. The problem with him is that after listening to his music, there is no need for anyone like Stan Getz. There is a simple logic with Young that always seems to work, rather like a football team who still to be rudimentary passing game to win matches. I think the album with Young / Eldridge / Wilson / Jones is on Verve and that is a good album. I much sooner listen to Lester Young than any of the musicians who were influenced by him even though you could make a case for or against his "modernity" just as you can with Coleman Hawkins. I don't have an issue with the style of jazz musicians Granz employed (worth recalling that many musicians from the big bands of the 30's 40's were still in their prime when Verve was around) but it is the lazy manner in which he assembled recording sessions that marks the output down. That said, Granz did record the best work by the second testament Basie band which effectively re-vitalised the whole oeuvre of big band jazz in a similar fashion to how Lion helped define Hard Bop. It's a shame that the thoroughness in capturing this band's work was not reflected in every one of the other projects he was involved in - bearing in mind there are some very good records on Verve.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Ian, I think it was Wayne Shorter (a fan) who said it was a shame Lester never recorded with a more "modern" section in the '50s which gather he wanted to do. Which would have been interesting at least. And there was talk of a kind of Gil Evans setting.

Then again Coleman Hawkins said of that period..."What is it about Young (the continued praise), if he does show up he's either too high or drunk and can barely play!".

Me, I'd take a lot of "second generation" players first.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

If anyone benefited from more contemporary rhythm sections it was Hawkins. In fact, there was always a sense that he was waiting for the rest of the jazz world to catch up with him. Harmonically, Hawkins was probably one of the five most important jazz musicians to emerge in the 1930's if you include the likes of Tatum, Christian, Cole and Henry "Red" Allen. Lester Young had a more modern and freer sense of phrasing but you could have argued that Hawkins would have been a better match for more contemporary players. this can be demonstrated with his encounters with the likes of Monk, Rollins (with Paul Bley, I believe), Tommy Flanagan, etc. The later Young recordings are notoriously uneven but the likes of Getz, Sims, Cohn, etc never got within touching distance of what he achieved at his best.

Thinking about the records that Blue Note issued, they were pretty wide ranging and no really largely dominated by the Hard Bop crowd. The criticism of making the same record over and over again is a little harsh even on the likes of Horace Silver whose output didn't vary greatly. Lion knew how to make things interesting and even with his relatively restricted roster of musicians, could come up with combinations that instantly gelled (Hubbard and Brooks, for example) as well as ones which intrigue. (McLean and Ornette.) It's a shame that Prestige records were never accorded the same "quality control" as Blue Note or Blue Note never had the budget of CBS to engage the likes of Gil Evans. Some of his ethics with musicians may have been questionable, but Alfred Lion managed to get everything in to place with his product to ensure that there is still a huge market for it and interest some fifty years later. It deserves it's cult status and this is why I am pleased that this new book is coming out as the previous edition regarding Verve is hugely enjoyable and very presentable to look at. Whilst the label art on Verve does share the same "classic" appeal and justifies the lavish publication, surely this is more the case with Blue note? ECM have done similar things in the past but their label design has dropped off tremendously over the last 15 or so years and is also reflected by the fact that their product no longer sets the agenda in a way that it did in the 1980's.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

Should have added I've been playing Hank Mobley's "Roll Call" the last few days and it is interesting to be reacquainted with this record. As you said, Freddie Hubbard in his prime was awesome and the leader plays with confidence and drive. Listening to Mobley is a bit like driving my old Audi. It's well put together, reliable and almost faultless but just misses the little bit extra you get with the S-line. For me, Mobley is a culmination of the style of tenor playing in the 1950's and I can appreciate why Miles might have preferred George Coleman who was a bit more "modern." Mobley and Blue Note made a good fit whereas I think Miles & Mobley represented a step backwards from where Miles was heading and was perhaps about five years too late to be a good match. That said, the two real strange elements of "Roll Call" are the fact that Wynton Kelly's piano is out of tune of a few tracks (rare for Blue Note) and Art Blakey's drumming which is reminiscent of a gate crasher livening up the session through such shear bombast that the fact he is sometimes a little out of time in the exchanges can be over-looked. The easy-natured style of writing is enjoyable and I think the erratic style of Blakey's drums certainly perks the session up. Not a classic record but satisfying enough.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Hank Mobley - "This I dig of you" from Soul Station/1960. PerFkingFection. The joyous theme, Wynton's glorious singing opening solo, Mobley's displacing the time and pure melody, Blakey always there, right on tight and never intrusive. And Paulo Le Chambers. If you don't dig this you IZ deader than ECM.

BN.

One of the GREAT moments in Bluenotery.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

ignorance is bliss innit

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                              X