• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Jon3 4.iv.11 Mark Feldman; Paulo Fresu

Feldman on violin with Swiss born pianist Sylvie Courvoisier followed by Fresu with Ralph Towner ... a night of ecm then eh ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

Heard the Fresu/Towner tour a couple of nights before the Jo3 recording - here's what I said in the Times:

Paolo Fresu / Ralph Towner
    North Wall, Oxford
    [four stars]
    The idea of a trumpet and guitar duo is not new to jazz, although examples are few and far between. In 1937 the American trumpeter Bill Coleman recorded a stellar example of chamber jazz with the European guitarist Django Reinhardt, mixing lyrical blues phrases with gipsy swing. On their recent album “Chiaroscuro”, the Sardinian-born trumpeter Paolo Fresu and the veteran guitarist Ralph Towner formed just such a transatlantic alliance, creating a similar blend of subtlety and panache, binding mournful brass melodies into the tonal variety of the Spanish guitar.
    What works well on record is even more successful in concert, because both musicians share an interest in exploring the nuances of sound quality. Within a single phrase, Towner’s acoustic guitar darted from aggressive plangency to soft caress, while Fresu used the room and a few low-key electronic effects to create a range of beautiful tones on both the trumpet and flugelhorn. Sitting in the half light, his right knee high with his foot tucked behind his left leg, Fresu looked like a ghostly reincarnation of the young Chet Baker, and his playing shared Baker’s delicate beauty. As Fresu’s melodies unwound, occasionally darting into the high register for wheezing high notes redolent of Kenny Wheeler, Towner provided a shifting backdrop that seldom resorted to regularly strummed chords. Instead, he created a busy tapestry of sound, bursts of deftly fingered patterns spilling into the gaps in Fresu’s phrasing, and implying, rather than stating, an infectious beat that never flagged,
    The repertoire ranged from standards such as Miles Davis’s “Blue In Green” to originals, of which Towner’s graceful “Wistful Thinking” stood out. On his own “Zephyr”, Towner managed to keep two independent narratives going on the guitar, a main theme and accompanying chords, plus a repetitive hispanic tremolo. Such virtuosity seemed almost casually easy, and some of the loveliest phrases were virtually throwaway statements. But Fresu was Towner’s match in technical brilliance, a single held note that lasted sixteen bars showing no apparent signs of effort from the circular breathing that produced it. Such dazzling high calibre chamber playing is a rarity in jazz — catch this tour of gentle giants before it ends.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

...not one to miss then ... thanks Alyn .... [Murdoch's shilling eh ....]
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

I agree totally with Alyn's review. The gig in Southampton was exceptional.

It is curious how different some ECM artists sound in the "flesh." The duo was far more unbooted than the music in the excellent CD and seemed indicative that there is a lot of mileage in this partnership. Fresu's playing sometimes reminded me of Dizzy Gillespie in the way that is used soft dynamics and played with the rhythm in such a fashion that the music swung intensely even during the quiter moments.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

newsletter

Newsletter for Jazz On 3

Sylvie Courvoisier – Mark Feldman Quartet, plus Paolo Fresu and Ralph Towner in session

Monday 04 April – at 11.15pm on BBC Radio 3

Tonight’s programme features two hugely contrasting groups that both have transatlantic partnerships at their heart.

Swiss-born pianist Sylvie Courvoisier and US violinist Mark Feldman – a husband and wife team – have between them absorbed an enormous range of influences, from Messiaen to folk fiddling, free improv and concertos. Our concert, recorded at the Nevers Festival in France, moves from the classical finesse and delicate piano strumming of the opener to earthier, at times violent soundscapes later on – hopefully not a reflection of the state of their marriage! I’m sure you can think of several other romantic pairings scattered through jazz history, and we’ll hear how Courvoisier and Feldman’s relationship gives them a deeper, secret level of musical understanding within the quartet.

The music in our second performance, recorded in the intimate surroundings of the Jazz on 3 studios, is warm and enchanting – a great way to end the evening. Ralph Towner is known for his work with acoustic group Oregon and his use of a variety of guitars, including baritone. He sought out Sardinian trumpeter Paolo Fresu a couple of years ago for a new duo. As he explains before the set, it was Fresu’s elegant playing style that attracted him, reminding him of Miles Davis. The pair perform music from their debut album, recorded in 2009 on the ECM label.

Finally, over the past few months we’ve been inviting less well-known jazz musicians to send us their tracks as part of the BBC Introducing scheme. We had a huge response and after many hours of enjoyable and eclectic listening, Gilles Peterson, Jamie Cullum and I have picked our favourites, who will play a set each at this Cheltenham Jazz Festival. Over the next few weeks we’ll be giving you a sneak preview of each band, before recording their Cheltenham sets for Jazz on 3. This week, it’s the turn of saxophonist Rachel Musson and her quintet, Skein.

Join me tonight from 11.15pm on BBC Radio 3.

Jez

Coming up:
          11 April – a gig by 8-string guitar virtuoso Charlie Hunter, plus highlights from a reunion of Mahavishnu Orchestra guitarist John McLaughlin and drummer Billy Cobham
          18 April – From Matt & Phred’s in Manchester we’ve Edinburgh-based trio NeWt featuring German saxophonist Silke Eberhard
          25 April – the 75th birthday concert by distinguished British bandleader and composer Mike Westbrook, featuring the world premiere of his new work, The Serpent Hit
          2 May – the first UK performance by free-jazz ensemble the Peter Brötzmann Chicago Tentet

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Thanks for the heads up on this. Just listening to Paolo Fresu and Ralph Towner now on iplayer - class.

'Fraid I can't get on with the other stuff though (often the way on Jazz on 3, I find).

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

getting people to send in their jazz is a good wheeze; shame Jon3 couldn't play more and let the listeners decide too - even just put it up on t'interwebbie eh .... not in the auntnik mindset .... ... still Skein were interesting ...

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

That looks a good April and early May schedule.

I saw NeWt and Silke Eberhard in Glasgow last week and enjoyed them greatly. Here's a review of the gig: http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-e...club-1.1094312 They're currently touring, but Eberhard's not playing on all the dates - some of them are just the trio.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

i failed to find much sustainable interest in the Feldman set ...

Comment

• Tom Audustus

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                    i failed to find much sustainable interest in the Feldman set ...
                    Been listening to it this morning. The Feldman set could have been broadcast on "Hear and Now" ! It seemed to be more aligned to contemporary classical than jazz but interesting up to a point. Not one to take to my desert island.

Comment

Working...
                    X