DISC
    Artist Kenny Ball
    Title High Society
    Composer Steele
    Album Back at the Start
    Label Lake
    Number 114 Track 11
    Duration 6.25
    Performers Kenny Ball, t; Dave Jones, cl; John Bennett, tb; Ron Weatherburn, p; Paddy Lightfoot, bj; Vic Pitt, b; Tony Budd, d. May 1961.

DISC
    Artist Jelly Roll Morton
    Title Smoke House Blues
    Composer Morton
    Album Doctor Jazz
    Label Proper
    Number Properbox 113 CD 2 Track 12
    Duration 3.24
    Performers: George Mitchell, c; Omer Simeon, cl; Kid Ory, tb; Jelly Roll Morton, p; Johnny St Cyr, bj; John Lindsay, b; Andrew Hilaire, d. 20 April 1926.

DISC
    Artist Woody Herman
    Title Lady McGowan’s Dream
    Composer Burns
    Album Woody Herman Story
    Label Proper
    Number Properbox 15 CD 3 Track 14
    Duration 5.18
    Performers: Sonny Berman, Cappy Lewis, Conrad Gozzo, Pete Candoli, Shorty Rogers, tp; Neal Reid, Ralph Pfeffner, Bill Harris, Ed Kiefer, tb; Woody Herman, cl; Sam Marowitz, John La Porta, cl, as; Flip Phillips, Micky Folus, ts; Sam Rubinowitch, bs; Jimmy Rowles p; Chuck Wayne, g; Joe Mondragon, b; Don Lamond, d, Red Norvo, vib. 18 Sept 1946

DISC
    Artist Miles Davis
    Title I Could Write a Book
    Composer Rodgers
    Album Relaxin’
    Label Prestige
    Number 7129 Track 3
    Duration 5.09
    Performers: Miles Davis, t; John Coltrane, ts; Red Garland, p; Paul Chambers, b; Philly Joe Jones, d, 26 Oct 1956.

DISC
    Artist Thelonious Monk
    Title Ruby My Dear
    Composer Monk
    Album Complete Blue Note Recordings
    Label Blue Note
    Number 7243 8 30363 2 5 CD 1 Trck 10
    Duration 3.05
    Performers: Thelonious Monk, p; Gene Ramey, b; Art Blakey, d. 24 Oct 1947.

DISC
    Artist Eddie Condon
    Title Jam Session Blues / Ole Miss
    Composer trad / Handy
    Album Coast to Coast
    Label Columbia
    Number CL 547 S 1 T 4
    Duration 9.29
    Performers: Wild Bill Davison, c; Peanuts Hucko, Ed Hall, cl; Cutty Cutshall, Lou McGarity, tb; Dick Cary, p, t; Gene Schroeder, p; Eddie Condon, g; Walter Page, b; George Wettling, Cliff Leeman, d.

DISC
    Artist Ray Anderson
    Title Alligatory Crocodile
    Composer Anderson
    Album What Because
    Label GRP
    Number Track 1
    Duration 6.26
    Performers: Ray Anderson tb; John Hicks, p; Allan Jaffe, g; Mark Dresser, b; Pheeroan akLaff d. 1991.

Artist Toots Thielemans
    Title This Time The Dream’s On Me
    Composer Arlen
    Album One more for the road
    Label Verve
    Number 0602498737767 Track 9
    Duration 4.45
    Performers: Toots Thielemans, hca; Til Brunner, v, t; Jurre Haanstra, kb; Martijn Van Itersen, g; Aram Kersbergen, b; Marcel Seriese, d. 2006

DISC
    Artist Charlie Ventura
    Title I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles
    Composer Brookman / Kellette / Kendi / Vincet
    Album Live at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium May 9, 1949
    Label Proper
    Number Track 6
    Duration 2.33
    Performers Jackie Cain, v; Roy Kral, p, v; Conte Candoli, t; Bennie Green, tb; Charlie Ventura t; Boots Mussuli, as; Kenny O’Brien, b; Ed Shaughnessy, d.

DISC
    Artist Oliver Nelson / Jimmy Smith
    Title Peter and the Wolf
    Composer Prokofiev
    Album Peter and The Wolf
    Label Polygram
    Number Track 6
    Duration 4.45
    Performers: Jimmy Smith, and orchestra conducted by Oliver Nelson.

DISC
    Artist Kenny Ball
    Title Potato Head Blues
    Composer Armstrong
    Album ?
    Label ?
    Number ?
    Duration 2.51
    Performers: Kenny Ball, t; Dave Jones, cl; John Bennett, tb; Ron Weatherburn, p; Paddy Lightfoot, bj; Vic Pitt, b; Ron Bowden, d.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Many thanks, Alyn.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Cheers Alyn - are we forecasting a West Ham win?
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Surely Alyn doesn't support the Hammers?

I think West Ham will have a hard task against Stoke this afternoon as Hughes' team will want to return to winning ways after being beaten twice by Saints in the week. We have a winnable match against Hull so I am hoping Southampton can remain secons this weekend. Off to watch Winchester City play Horndean my self. So here's a question for Calum. Can you name the two Winchester City players who went on to play for England?

The Ray Anderson track is the pick of today's JRR although I am also looking forward to the Herman and Jelly Roll tracks. I didn't know that Oliver Nelson had made an arrangement of "Peter and the wolf" - I've been listening to the Amazing Keystone Big Band's version of this recently. One of my friends plays baritone in this band.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
          • Dec 2010

There's only one way Hammers can travel: DOWN
          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Flyposter
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
            Surely Alyn doesn't support the Hammers?

Off to watch Winchester City play Horndean my self. So here's a question for Calum. Can you name the two Winchester City players who went on to play for England?
            Ok Ian, so what's the answer? I guess one must be the great Terry Paine, but I can't think of the other one.

By the way, I saw Jason Moran at a festival here last week. Brilliant, but a surreal experience, as he played a couple of Fats Waller numbers wearing a large model head of Fats!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

would the other one be Ted Drake?
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

You always knew when there was a match on at Stamford Bridge: the crowd roars could be heard a mile away and cars used to park around the neighbourhood nose to tail. My dad, a big Chelsea fan, used to take me down there regular; I'd be sandwiched between the gaberdeen macs. Later, after we moved east, Dad switched allegiances to Hammers. "Why Hammers, Dad?" I needed to know. "Nearest decent club to support" he replied, which to me was tantamount to desertion. In the 1970s Chelsea FC became a hotbed of support for the National Front. By which time I'd lost interest in footy.

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Well I ought to be an Arsenal supporter, as their training ground is very close to me.

But I am completely disillusioned with today's football scene. Run by big business for rich spectators, and populated mainly by foreign football stars.

The amateur game needs to breathe, and there needs to be improved routes for young homegrown talent to reach the top. Then we might have a decent England team. And then there might be a chance of bringing world cup to UK.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Both Ted Drake and Terry Paine started their careers with Winchester City before moving on to Saints. Drake made his name with Arsenal and England before managing Chelsea in the 1950's.

Winchester beat Brockenhurst 7-1 yesterday but as I was at St. Marys watching Saints maintain the second position in the PL, I didn't get to watch the match.

I have never witnessed it myself, but there is apparently a match every October played under the shadow of St. Catherine's Hill where there is a football match played under the old Winchester College rules. These rules date back to the time when many universities had their own version of football and the game was no codified. The first FA rules were published in 1863 and it is surprising what a slim volume it is as there were only 13 rules at the time!

Comment

Working...
                    X