X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

London Jazz Festival programme

Most of the big names are fully booked, as might be expected, though I see there are still a few for Charles Lloyd.

Fewer than ever of the freebies that used to bring in the daytripping crowds and families for a taster in contemporary genres from free to Fusion, the number having for whatever reason been drastically reduced last year, leaving the Front Room (QEH/Purcell lobby) and Clore Ballroom (1st floor RFH) sad desolate places between main stage events. With a surfeit of quite pricey sessions taking place at odd often coinciding hours all across London making choice and what to do and where to waste time and money problematic these were always the main attractions for me, not least the joy of seeing probable newcomers sitting, contrary to expectations, in rapt attention to unfamiliar sounds.

The pay ones that immediately stand out for me as interesting are The Dedication Orchestra at 2 pm at the QEH on the 15th, preceded by a talk at 12.45; Trish Clowes Quintet with Norma Winstone same venue on the 18th; The Way Out West Allstars including Henry Lowther and Chris Biscoe doing a tribute to the jazz year 1959 at the Bull's Head on the 19th; Evan Parker's group with John Edwards, Paul Lytton and Swedish pianist Sten Sendell at the Vortex on the 20th; a celebration of the centenarian bass player and one time Joe Harriott associate Coleridge Goode led by Gary Crosby at the Purcell on the 21st; and another celebration, this time of John Stevens, at the QEH on the 22nd.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

well we all eagerly anticipate the R3 coverage eh ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Jason Adasiewizc, Branford, Kurt Elling, Komeda film music concert, Angelique Kidjo, Billy Harper, JD Allen, Barron / Holland duo, Roy Hargrove, Charles Lloyd , Lovano / Douglas

Nice to see some classic jazz also getting an airing including the Clayton tribute band and a showing of the "Connection" with music by Freddie Redd - much admired on this "bored."

Seems a wide range of styles but perhaps too many singers.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        Jason Adasiewizc, Branford, Kurt Elling, Komeda film music concert, Angelique Kidjo, Billy Harper, JD Allen, Barron / Holland duo, Roy Hargrove, Charles Lloyd , Lovano / Douglas

Nice to see some classic jazz also getting an airing including the Clayton tribute band and a showing of the "Connection" with music by Freddie Redd - much admired on this "bored."

Seems a wide range of styles but perhaps too many singers.
        Agreed about the singers but one kind of expects that these days; not a bad programme though tbh I haven't perused it too closely as yet since it always gives me a headache!

Comment

• Tenor Freak
          • Dec 2010

Well the Hilliards are about to disband and a gig with Jan G. is always popular (I always remember seeing them at Salisbury Cathedral - very memorable) as is Branford. I didn't know Chucho Valdez was still going - that will be popular with the acid jazz crowd.

This looks interesting: http://www.efglondonjazzfestival.org...e-in-the-water

I'd love to see Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - that's one of my strong memories listening to JRR - in the 80s "Water From an Ancient Well" seemed to be on nearly every week, and with good reason too!

But Jesus, the ticket prices: 40 GBP+ to see the Steve Swallow Quintet at Ronnies? No thanks.

On the other hand, I for one welcome our JRR host: http://www.efglondonjazzfestival.org...n-legacy-band1 (pictured)
          Last edited by Tenor Freak; 02-11-14, 12:39. Reason: Naughty word unpleasantness - doing Calum's job for him by censoring my own post
          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
            Well the Hilliards are about to disband and a gig with Jan G. is always popular (I always remember seeing them at Salisbury Cathedral - very memorable) as is Branford. I didn't know Chucho Valdez was still going - that will be popular with the acid jazz crowd.

This looks interesting: http://www.efglondonjazzfestival.org...e-in-the-water

I'd love to see Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - that's one of my strong memories listening to JRR - in the 80s "Water From an Ancient Well" seemed to be on nearly every week, and with good reason too!

But Jesus, the ticket prices: 40 GBP+ to see the Steve Swallow Quintet at Ronnies? Fuck off.

On the other hand, I for one welcome our JRR host: http://www.efglondonjazzfestival.org...n-legacy-band1 (pictured)
            Ronnie Scotts, October 1959...

"Membership 10/- until January 1961.
            Admission 1/6 (to members) 2/6 (non-
            members)"

I blame Nick Clegg.

BN.

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              well we all eagerly anticipate the R3 coverage eh ....
              Here you are, Sir
              Sara Mohr-Pietsch introduces the opening night gala of the 2014 EFG London Jazz Festival.
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

i have to confess pianorak that i did not hold my breath; good to see it start however and i am sure Mr Barker's pension funds will be all the better for it

... The Voice is a But Not For Me programme .... Jazz has a Sound [of Surprise &c] and i doubt that there will be one genuine surprise in the programme although R3 are doing there best by completely failing to list the content of the show in advance so the radio audience will be uninformed, but one rather hopes agog with curiosity .... perhaps not ....
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Just heard the Hot Sardines on In Tune. I know NOTHING about jazz but they sounded pretty good to me!

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Calum

Content now listed on line. The vocalists include Dee DeeBridgwater, Georgie Fame and Kurt Elling - no all bad then.

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                      i have to confess pianorak that i did not hold my breath; good to see it start however and i am sure Mr Barker's pension funds will be all the better for it

... The Voice is a But Not For Me programme .... Jazz has a Sound [of Surprise &c] and i doubt that there will be one genuine surprise in the programme although R3 are doing there best by completely failing to list the content of the show in advance so the radio audience will be uninformed, but one rather hopes agog with curiosity .... perhaps not ....
                      Unfortunately your prediction was accurate Calum. I forced myself to listen to this programme, but despite the big names of Kurt Elling, Dee Dee Bridgewater, this was Jazz programming at its worst. I pulled out when the female presenter spent a long time introducing a count basie number, only to be informed by someone that it was no longer on the menu. I turned over to the sanity of Sarah Ward on Jazz FM.

Who was that dreadful female presenter (not SMP)? Why do they assume that Jazz fans have a juvenile sense of humour, and spend ages over very laboured very bad jokes? I was just playing a YouTube recording of Coleman Hawkins at Wembley Town Hall introduced by Steve Race. He was crisp, clear and to the point - and let the jazz speak for itself - more of that, please!

...............Listening again, matters picked up again after Minnie the Moocher - but still that awful presentation - I'll try my luck at Ronnie Scott's.....If not, a few treats next week :: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nt1g4
                      Last edited by Quarky; 15-11-14, 10:47.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Just looked at the singers/track listing and gave thanks.....that I spent last night defrosting the fridge.

And isn't c. 50 years of Georgie Fame singing Yeah Yeah akin to waterboarding? For him and for us.

BN.

Yes, I realise Mr Powell (and his various Flames) has not been singing Yah Yah nono stoppo for half an epoch, it just seems like it. My waterboard suggesion is therefore valid. I'm surprised Human Rights Watch has not been on the case.
                        Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 15-11-14, 09:09.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

you could always listen to this instead (appearing later in the festival but not the same group.)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                            Unfortunately your prediction was accurate Calum. I forced myself to listen to this programme, but despite the big names of Kurt Elling, Dee Dee Bridgewater, this was Jazz programming at its worst. I pulled out when the female presenter spent a long time introducing a count basie number, only to be informed by someone that it was no longer on the menu. I turned over to the sanity of Sarah Ward on Jazz FM.

Who was that dreadful female presenter (not SMP)? Why do they assume that Jazz fans have a juvenile sense of humour, and spend ages over very laboured very bad jokes? I was just playing a YouTube recording of Coleman Hawkins at Wembley Town Hall introduced by Steve Race. He was crisp, clear and to the point - and let the jazz speak for itself - more of that, please!

...............Listening again, matters picked up again after Minnie the Moocher - but still that awful presentation - I'll try my luck at Ronnie Scott's.....If not, a few treats next week :: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nt1g4
                            Totally agree, Oddball. One of the worst presented jazz programmes I've ever heard on Radio 3. I can't imagine anyone being turned on to jazz by this inane and insulting rubbish. Charles Fox must be spinning in his grave!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Just back from attending the Dedication Orchestra gig in the Queen Lizzie Hall. The emphasis was more on the sumptuous arrangements of tunes by Dudu, Mongesi, McGregor & co we already know from the two (?) recordings, the brief solos, of which those by Mark Lockheart and Evan Parker, both on tenor, and Jason Yarde, alto, were the most memorable, and the two trombone outbursts entertaining, were somewhat buried in a poor sound mix to start with, though matters did improve as time went on. Steve Beresford had a pretty easy task as man of the rostrum, springing to prominence in a couple of numbers requiring cueings, and making way for Alexander Hawkins to conduct his own arrangement of a piece whose title escaped me, but was indubitably the most uncompromising and original of the session, featuring repeated jabbing vocal figures and a breakneck solo by Evan Parker, whose interchanges with Keith Tippett elsewhere manifested a fearsome alertness sugggestive of a duetting partnership demanding a follow-up.

There were lots of murmerings around the hall re the poor sound, so one hopes the broadcast presumably to come deals with this effectively; it would be tragic for a joyous occasion such as this was to be sacrificed to such incompetence.

Comment

Working...
                              X