DISC
    Artist Buddy Rich
    Title Love For Sale
    Composer Porter
    Album Big Swing Face
    Label Pacific
    Number CDP 7242 8 37989 2 Track 5
    Duration 4.51
    Performers: Buddy Rich, d; Bobby Shew, Yoshito Murakami, Chuck Findley, John Scottile, t; Jim Trimble, Ron Meyers, Bill Wimberley tb; Quinn Davis, Ernie Watts, Jay Corre, Robert Keller, Marty Flax, reeds, Richard Resnicoff, g; Roay Starling, p; Jim Gannon, b. Feb 1967

DISC
    Artist Gil Evans
    Title St Louis Blues
    Composer Handy
    Album New Bottle Old Wine
    Label Poll Winners
    Number 27214 Track 8
    Duration 5.25
    Performers: Gil Evans, p, arr, cond; Johnny Coles, Louis Mucci, Ernie Royal, tp; Joe Bennet, Frank Rehak, Tom Mitchell, tb; Julius Watkins, fr h; Harvey Philips, tub; Cannonball Adderley, as; Jerry Sanfino, reeds, Chuck Wayne, g; Paul Chambers, b; Art Blakey, d. New York City, Apr 1958.

DISC
    Artist Vic Dickenson
    Title Keeping Out of Mischief Now
    Composer Waller
    Album Vic Dickenson Septet
    Label Vanguard
    Number VRS 8520/1 S1 T 1
    Duration 5.53
    Performers Ruby Braff, c; Ed Hall, cl; Vic Dickenson, tb; Sir Charles Thompson, p; Steve Jordan, g; Walter Page, b; Les Erskine, d. 29 Dec 1953

DISC
    Artist Ben Webster
    Title I’m Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter
    Composer Waller, Razaf
    Album Live at Jazzhus Montmartre Vol 2
    Label Black Lion
    Number Track 8
    Duration 5.55
    Performers: Ben Webster, ts; Kenny Drew, p; NHOP b; Alex Riel, d.

DISC
    Artist The Squadronaires
    Title South Rampart St Parade
    Composer Haggart
    Album Jazz in Britain
    Label Marshall Cavendish
    Number CD049 Track 20
    Duration 2.49
    Performers: Tommy McQuater, Archie Craig, Clifton ffrench, t; George Chisholm, Eric Breeze, tb; Jimmy Durrant, Tommy Bradbury, Harry Lewis, Sndy McDevitt, reeds; Ronnie Aldrich, p; Sid Colin, g; Arthur Maden, b; Jock Cummings, d. 21 May 1942.

DISC
    Artist Eric Silk with Neva Raphaelo
    Title Every Day I Have The Blues
    Composer Chatmon
    Album British Traditional Jazz A Potted History
    Label Lake
    Number 300 Cd 2 Track 3
    Duration 3.23
    Performers: Dennis Field, c; Teddy Layton, cl; Pete Strange, tb; Ron Weatherburn, p; Eric Silk, bj; Norman Bunce, tu; Stan Lewis, d; Neva Raphaelo, vo. 29 June 1956

Artist Humphrey Lyttelton
    Title Mairzy Doats
    Composer Livingston
    Album Cornucopia 2
    Label Calligraph
    Number Track 14
    Duration 1.55
    Performers: Humphrey Lyttelton, t; Jimmy Hastings, Karen Sharp, Jo Fooks, reeds; Ray Wordsworth, tb; Ted Beament, p; John Rees-Jones, b; Adrian Mackintosh, d. 2007.

DISC
    Artist Jo Fooks
    Title Dr No Blues
    Composer Fooks
    Album Playin’
    Label Jo Fooks
    Number white label copy Track 3
    Duration 4.16
    Performers: Jo Fooks, ts; Ted Beament, p; Dave Cliff, g; Ed Harrison, b; Buster Birch, d. August 2008.

DISC
    Artist Francesco Lo Castro
    Title Dresden
    Composer Lo Castro
    Album Chasing Beauty
    Label Flocastro Records
    Number Track 1
    Duration 4.10
    Performers: Francesco Lo Castro: nylon strings, acoustic and electric guitars, Fulvio Sigurta: trumpet, flugelhorn; Noa Bodner: vocals, harmonica; Dora Maria: violin; Joe Fowler: flute; Maurizio Minardi: accordion, sax; Svetlana Savvina: doublebass; Dado Pasqualin: perc; Saverio Gerardi: drums

DISC
    Artist Soft Machine
    Title Strangest Scene (aka Lullaby letter)
    Composer Ayers
    Album BBC Radio 1967-1971
    Label Hux
    Number 037 CD 1 Track 5
    Duration 4.55
    Performers Kevin Ayers, b; Mike Ratledge kb; Robert Wyatt, d. v. 10 June 1969

Artist Johnny Hodges / Duke Ellington
    Title Weary Blues
    Composer Hodges
    Album Back To Back
    Label Verve
    Number Track 4
    Duration 6.50
    Performers: Harry Sweets Edison, t; H=Johnny Hodges, as; Duke Ellington, p; Les Spann, g; Al Hall, b; Jo Jones, d. 1959.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

thanks for the listing Alyn much appreciated

there is fun in them there tracks
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Thanks from me too, Alyn.

The opening Buddy Rich track: long ago I had an LP which from memory was titled "Live at the Chez". I'm pretty sure it was recorded in 1967. On it Rich's daughter gave a cringeworthy rendition of "The Beat Goes On". I don't suppose this is from the same album under a different title?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

S_A: The lesson according to wiki: "In 1967, American jazz musician Buddy Rich made a version on his Big Swing Face album with his daughter Cathy on vocals (Buddy was joking when he said she was drunk; she was only 12 at the time: her date of birth is 1954 and the album was released in 1967)."
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

Cathy is not to be heard on tomorrow's track...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            S_A: The lesson according to wiki: "In 1967, American jazz musician Buddy Rich made a version on his Big Swing Face album with his daughter Cathy on vocals (Buddy was joking when he said she was drunk; she was only 12 at the time: her date of birth is 1954 and the album was released in 1967)."
            Great, thanks ff

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
              Cathy is not to be heard on tomorrow's track...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

well stap me the Squadronaires were hot ... but i could happily not hear Neva Raphaelo ever again ...
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  well stap me the Squadronaires were hot ... but i could happily not hear Neva Raphaelo ever again ...
                  Yes, a bit of an odd program. I had visions of cobwebs and sepia photographs. Still I suppose people nostalgic for say Prince Lasha or Bill Dixon do not click on R3 at teatime.

BN.
                  I'm just "nostalgic" for Francoise Hardy.,

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

it was the just the sixties El Senor and yoof innit ... on the other hand
                    Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 26-10-14, 13:48.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                      • Dec 2010

I didn't realise that "Everyday I have the blues" was written by one of the Chatmons. They seemed quite prolific in the 1920's / early 1930's but I've always felt that the Mississippi Sheiks covered a wide range of music as well as the blues.

Also quite surprised to learnt that there is a vocal on the "Big swing face" album had a vocal on it. This record was one my uncle used to have and it really made me wake up to more contemporary styles of jazz when I was about 13/14. At that time, the music was about 13 years old and Rich was very much one of the musicians from the 1930's who was moving with the times. The album has some great music on it included "Norwegian wood", "Willowcrest", "Mexicali Nose" "New blues " and "Machine" - which was my favourite track. It is just about the best thing that Rich ever did. It's easy to deride Buddy Rich and sometimes the rock influences and shear bombast can be a bit too much but, as I said last week, even George Russell was guilty to pandering to the pop / rock grooves of the 1970's with equally dodgy results. "Big Swing Face" is a pretty good album making a style of music that effectively died out in the late 1940's as popular music, into something relevant at the time. It is also worth noting that there wasn't a great deal of competition around in the late 1960's / 1970s and if Bluesnik thinks that this "jazz drought" was limited to musicians working as taxi drivers, it's also worth recalling that by the mid 70's the only regular "name" big bands working were the likes of Buddy Rich as well as Basie and Herman. Even more "outside" band like Gil Evans weren't working regularly.

This must be the only jazz message-board where Buddy Rich can be damned with faint praise and "The Squadronaires" described as being hot! It's all a matter of perspective. Most big band in the UK in the 30's / 30's only irregularly had any affinity to jazz but the Squadronaires at least seemed to have a line up of the very best British players at the time. Some of their tracks are pretty good and quite surprising (seem to recall a particularly good version of "Anchors aweigh!" ) but this band is really of it's era. The more commercial stuff they produced is still pretty poor and I wouldn't swap any of their records for the better aggregations from the States at the time.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Peter Chatman, Ian, aka Memphis Slim.

Memphis Slim (September 3, 1915 – February
                        24, 1988) was an American blues pianist,
                        singer, and composer. He led a series of bands
                        that, reflecting the popular appeal of jump
                        blues , included saxophones, bass, drums, and
                        piano. A song he first cut in 1947, " Every Day I
                        Have the Blues", has become a blues standard,
                        recorded by many other artists. He made over
                        500 recordings .

BN.

He became the King of France. Almost.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                          Peter Chatman, Ian, aka Memphis Slim.

Memphis Slim (September 3, 1915 – February
                          24, 1988) was an American blues pianist,
                          singer, and composer. He led a series of bands
                          that, reflecting the popular appeal of jump
                          blues , included saxophones, bass, drums, and
                          piano. A song he first cut in 1947, " Every Day I
                          Have the Blues", has become a blues standard,
                          recorded by many other artists. He made over
                          500 recordings .

BN.

He became the King of France. Almost.
                          Yeh but in the end chances were too slim.

(I'll get me goat...)

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                            • Dec 2010

Bluesnik

Yes, I recall that "Every day I have the blues" was a Memphis SLim number, albeit it was covered in a really good version by Jow Williams and Count Basie in the new testament band's "Verve heyday.

The credit listing posted by Alyn mentioned Chatmon and given the complex inter-family links between the vintage blues singers, I wonder if Memphis was related. Wicki has him down as Chatman . I believe that that Chatmons were related to Charley Patton.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

His later guitarist was Matt Murphy (the Matt Guitar Murphy of the Blues Brothers films) who also did a lot of session work for Chess in the sixties. Wonderful player who I met when he toured with the US folk blues tour - Sonny Boy Williamson etc.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                              X