• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

we should have been in Paris EL Senor Blues, Paris [Diana every time eh]
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      Paris [Diana every time eh]
      What's the Daily Express got to do with ... well, anything, really?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        What's the Daily Express got to do with ... well, anything, really?

Ross man, Ross ...as in Ronnie

er the Daily Express was a feature in El Senor's outdoor facilities in 1958 ....
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
          I watched about ten minutes of the Mobo awards but was hugely depressed by the calibre of the music. After the third tune in the same key an with the same 4-bar patterns, I turned it off and finished by James Bond book instead. Amazing to see how crap this music is - especially if you think how Black music has defined the 20th century in musical terms whether it is Bessie Smith, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Stevie Wonder, Prince, Michael Jackson, sister Rosetta Tharpe, Blind Lemon Jefferson, etc, etc.
          Hmm, I think that it's overstating the case that any particular type of music has defined the 20th century in musical terms. But then I don't understand what black, white or other racially-based music categories are anyway.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Hmm, . But then I don't understand what black, white or other racially-based music categories are anyway.
            I assume that everybody if well familiar with the North London/ East End mindset, where most of the performers at the MOBO awards seemed to reside. It just struck me that here was a group of cowboys/ girls, completely uninhibited and completely emancipated, having a ball in front of the TV cameras and broadcast UK wide. Ian has summed up the musical quality, but the enthusiasm was infectious. So I guess the original New Orleans jazz bands would have been well satisfied with this outcome, at least in sociological terms.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
              .......the original New Orleans jazz bands would have been well satisfied with this outcome, at least in sociological terms.
              I'd go along with that.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

we should have been in Paris EL Senor Blues, Paris [Diana every time eh]
                Who'd have thought I'd be pleased to see a copper (wo)manhandle somebody!
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Ross man, Ross ...as in Ronnie

er the Daily Express was a feature in El Senor's outdoor facilities in 1958 ....
                  That was the theme tune to a TV cop drama whose name escapes me. No Hiding Place? I remember being just old enough to be allowed to stay up to watch that. Anyway, thanks for digging it out Calum.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

The Cheaters?

A 1966 Ember LP included Bill Le Sage’s theme for The Cheaters and a Tony Crombie composition for the film The Spider’s Web.

Comment

• kea
                      • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      The original, and still for me, main point of jazz is to demonstrate that at a given stage in Euroclassical music's development it was possible for black and white musicians in one particular country to get together to forge from respective ethnic musical traditions a lasting evolving generic form, with improvisation its main, if not sole driving force for expansion and elaboration, and from largely working class beginnings create an enduring universal means of music making available to peoples of all nations and classes.
                      Do black or working-class people still listen to, or create, jazz in any form? Is it still of much importance outside selected American and Western European urban centers? Its period of 'universality' in that sense seems to be anything but enduring, unless 'universal' is simply being used as synonymous with 'white, bourgeois European(-descended)' as it usually is these days—which I doubt is what you meant.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

We need to form a Revolutionary Jazz Party (RJP) under the strict vanguard leadership of Village Vanguardists. Our programme will be to restore true jazz to the conciousness of the advanced workers. All Party children will have saxophone lesssons until age 18. Every workplace and factory will have its own jazz ensemble and cool cellar club. Red Jazz Berets will be issued. Algerian wine will be drunk by the litre as Lenin's "What is to be blown?" is studied.

Today's slogan....."The workers honking will never be defeated!"

BN - author of "Land Bread and Bluenote" (£29.99)
                        Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 25-10-14, 09:28.

Comment

• burning dog
                          • Dec 2010

"In Marxist philosophy, the term bourgeoisie denotes the social class who owns the means of production and whose societal concerns are the value of property and the preservation of capital, in order to ensure the perpetuation of their economic supremacy in society"

Doubt if many "who own the means of production" were at last nights mainstream jazz gig

Ethnic breakdown - Yawn buts the topic's been raised - out of a hundred or so, mostly White European (quite a few Jewish people I'd guess) a group of East Asians and at least two mixed race attendees, making it far more "diverse" than any Rock or Classical gig at the venue. If black people do not PLAY jazz any more I must go back to Specsavers. If you really want young white bourgeois audience that'll be for Indie Rock. Classical? Those concerts really do have the local bourgeois in attendance. A large proportion of Black people at sit down venues for Neo-soul. Working class (mostly) white - Ska revival

And as for "Why cant we all geddalong!" compare and contrast the ethnic make up (ie. lots of "White" performers) of the music discussed on this board, or the World music board, with the "Which rock fusion Pop blah blah are you listening to" thread. Right there on page one The Bee Gees.... fair enough! That's "Black" music, but otherwise Slim Pickens..... I don't think it's especially "the Jazzers" who practice aparthied

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Yeah? How come Jamie Cullum has never hired Lee Morgan?

BN.

Comment

• burning dog
                              • Dec 2010

"Yeah? How come Jamie Cullum has never hired Lee Morgan?"

This track is owned by Sony Music Entertainment. From 1969.

Maybe one day !

Comment

• burning dog
                                • Dec 2010

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

A view of Reggae in Britain from 1970

What a well behaved audience!

Comment

Working...
                                X