X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

JRR 23 Aug 14

Here from amid the culinary delights of Southern France is today's playlist:

JRR 230814

DISC
    Artist Ruby Braff
    Title Down In Honky Tonk Town
    Composer McCarron / Smith
    Album ...and His New England Song Hounds Vol. 1
    Label Concord
    Number 4478 Track 8
    Duration 4.23
    Performers: Ruby Braff, c; Scott Hamilton, ts; Dave McKenna, p; Howard Alden, g; Frank Tate, b; Alan Dawson, d. April 1991.

DISC
    Artist Ginger Baker
    Title St Thomas
    Composer Trad arr Rollins
    Album Why?
    Label Motéma
    Number 233846 Track 6
    Duration 6.04
    Performers: Pee Wee Ellis, ts; Alec Dankworth, b; Ginger Baker, d; Anass Dodoo, perc. 2014.

DISC
    Artist Count Base
    Title Way Back Blues
    Composer Basie
    Album Coming Out Party
    Label Naxos
    Number 8.120819 Track 16
    Duration 3.31
    Performers: Count Basie, p; Freddie Green, g; Walter Page, b; J Jones, d. 24 July 1942.

DISC
    Artist Stephanie Trick
    Title Handful of Keys
    Composer Waller
    Album Hear That Rhythm
    Label Stephanie Trick
    Number Track 3
    Duration 3.00
    Performers: Stephanie Trick, p. 2008.

DISC
    Artist James Williams
    Title Chuckles
    Composer Terry
    Album Talkin’ Trash
    Label DIW
    Number R 470150 Track 3
    Duration 5.13
    Performers: Clark Terry t; Billy Pierce, ts; Steve Nelson, vib; James Williams, p; Christian McBride, b; Tony Reedus, d. 1994.

DISC
    Artist Ken Snakehips Johnson
    Title It Was Lover And His Lass
    Composer Shakespeare / Young
    Album Black British Swing
    Label Topic
    Number 781 Track 12
    Duration 2.50
    Performers: Dave Wilkins, Jiver Hutchinson, Jack Cosker, t; Freddie Butt, tb; Carl Barriteau, Bertie King, George Roberts, Baba Williams, reeds; Yorke De Souza, p; Joe Deniz, g; Ernie Stevens, b; Tommy Wilson, d; Al Bowlly, the Henderson twins, v. 24 April 1940.

DISC
    Artist Thelonious Monk
    Title Blue Monk
    Composer Monk
    Album Thelonious Monk in Action
    Label Riverside
    Number 1190 Track 5
    Duration 8.31
    Performers: Johnny Griffin, ts; Thelonious Monk, p; Ahmen Abdul-Malik, b; Roy Haynes, d. Aug 1957.

DISC
    Artist George Russell
    Title Concerto For Billy The Kid
    Composer Russell
    Album The Jazz Workshop
    Label RCA
    Number LPM 1372 Track 2
    Duration 4.49
    Performers: Art Farmer (trumpet), Hal McKusick (alto sax), Bill Evans (piano), Barry Galbraith (guitar), Milt Hinton (bass), Paul Motian (drums), George Russell (arranger) 1956

DISC
    Artist Jack DeJohnette
    Title One For Eric
    Composer DeJohnette
    Album Special Edition
    Label ECM
    Number 1152 Track 1
    Duration 9.52
    Performers: David Murray, bcl; Arthur Blythe, as; Peter Warren, b; Jack DeJohnette, d. 1979.

DISC
    Artist Gerry Mulligan
    Title Love In New Orleans
    Composer Mulligan
    Album Complete Studio Recordings
    Label Lonehill
    Number 10221 Track 5
    Duration 5.46
    Performers: Gerry Mulligan, bars; Bob Brookmeyer, vtb; Bill Crow, b; Gus Johnson, d. May 1962.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Thanks very much Alyn.

Very much a mainstreamer's delight this week, apart from the George Russell track (from one of my favourite LPs of his); interesting to see the great Alan Dawson keeping such company back in 1991.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Thanks very much Alyn.

Very much a mainstreamer's delight this week, apart from the George Russell track (from one of my favourite LPs of his); interesting to see the great Alan Dawson keeping such company back in 1991.
      SA

Depends what your idea of "mainstream" is.

I wouldn't called Jack deJohnette's Special Edition mainstream, personally and would suggest that the other selections actually make a good case for the "jazz mainstream" being pretty creative. No crumbles with Monk, Mulligan, Williams or Basie for that matter.

Regarding Alan Dawson, your comment made me smile as I first heard of him in the context of playing in these kinds of groups on Concord during the 1980s' / early 1990's and had no idea at the time of the fact that he had been quite so instrumental in some of the most provocative recordings of the 1960's! Years ago he appeared as a member of the Howard Alden / Dan Barrett sextet which modelled itself on the kind of intelligent small group swing produced by John Kirby. I bought the CD as a Christmas present for my Dad about 25 years ago and he was hugely impressed. It won Jazz Journal's record of the year poll when it came out. We went to see this band with Alan Dawson at the Concord Club about two years later.

Concord always used to be the epitome of "mainstream" for me and labels like Nagel Heyer obviously found their model successful that they practically replicated the records that Concord would issue and often with the same roster of musicians. They used to specialize in swing-bop repertoire with line ups that mixed older generations of players from the Basie band , etc and mix them up with similar minded soloists from an earlier generation. The results could be mixed but I would be reluctant to right the whole label off as being too conservative as the standard rarely flagged. Personally I loved the Latin stuff that they put off on their Picante side-shoot and eagerly snapped up all of Tania Maria's recordings - just about the most exciting contemporary stuff I could lay my hands on in the mid 1980's! Shame that Concord seems to have added more contemporary players to their roster but somehow managed to tame the output so that some records lend themselves more towards GRP smoothness than the out and out jazz policy of Carl Jefferson that would have baulked at the idea of releasing anything too commercial.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

Excellent programme and I say that not because I put one of the requests in but because the music was so good - Monk and George Russell, for example.

Mind you I heard only bits as I was too busy "cooking" a BBQ on the beach.

<thanks> Alyn and co. Hope the weather is better down in the S. of Fr.
        all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Bruce

Have you moved ? Didn't realise that there were any beaches in Wiltshire!!

Ian

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

a beach is a state of mind ......

the Five Spot recordings of Griffin and T Monk are wondrous, wondrous
            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Wiltshire on Sea....

"Sailing, beach volleyball, golf & fishing all given
              a go at free family day at Coate Water -
              Coate Water, Swindon"

"Beach Volleyball/Swindon"....where's my Visa card...

BN.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

DISC
                Artist Ginger Baker
                Title St Thomas
                Album Why?
                Label Motéma
                Number 233846 Track 6

Why Bother? Comparison is invited with Sonny's definitive recording of this. And the only conclusion is that it was a pale imitation.

Dolphy - mainstream?

Comment

• charles t
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                  DISC
                  Artist Ginger Baker
                  Title St Thomas
                  Album Why?
                  Label Motéma
                  Number 233846 Track 6

Why Bother? Comparison is invited with Sonny's definitive recording of this. And the only conclusion is that it was a pale imitation.

Dolphy - mainstream?
                  O.B.: Upon listening to same and if you were to gaze upon the DVD - Beware Of Mr Baker - shortly thereafter...(better...not to...speculate).

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
                    O.B.: Upon listening to same and if you were to gaze upon the DVD - Beware Of Mr Baker - shortly thereafter...(better...not to...speculate).
                    In the early 60s Ginger Baker shared a London basement flat with Phil Seamen and Jackie Mclean. It was the time of the London run of The Connection.

"More tea, Vicar?"

BN.

Talking of drummers, I picked up a DVD of The Man with the Golden Arm at a car boot sale this morning. Cameo from Shorty Rogers and Shelly Manne.,,very funny film for all the wrong reasons, "Just need another fix man...."

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
                      Point taken charles!

JRR is obviously constrained to play items requested. However Ginger Baker might have been given a better showing if the album title track Why? had been played instead.

Comment

Working...
                      X