• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... eleven days in august ...

we trust that Alyn is enjoying fine wines and bread and olives &c in the sunshine ... JRR features:
    Jazz and rock drummer Ginger Baker now leads the quartet Jazz Confusion. Among this week's listeners' requests Alyn Shipton features a track from Baker's new album "Why?". There's also traditional stride piano from the young player Stephanie Trick. and a memory of the jazz and gospel pianist James Williams.
    JLU introduced by JJ
    Julian Joseph presents concert music from the Big Chris Barber Band recorded at the Theatr Brycheiniog as part of the 2014 Brecon Jazz Festival. 2014 marks Barber's 65th year as a bandleader with over 10,000 concerts to his credit, the legendary trombonist has collaborated with a diverse range of musicians including Lonnie Donegan, Monty Sunshine and Ken Colyer. The line-up includes Chris Barber and Bob Hunt on trombones; Pete Rudeforth and Mike Henry on trumpets; Richard Exall and Bert Brandsma on saxophones and clarinets; Amy Roberts saxophone and flute; Jackie Flavelle bass; Joe Farler Banjo and guitar and John Watson on drums. Plus an interview with Claire Martin & Mark-Anthony Turnage who speak passionately about the music of Joni Mitchell and Richard Rodney Bennett, whose songs they have recorded recently in collaboration with the Montpellier Cello Quartet
    wot no pbi?

Geoffrey covers Brad Mehldau on the pianist's 44th birthday no pbi as usual

Jon3 visits JAZZAHEAD in Bremen
    Among the highlights are live performances from Norwegian prog-jazz trio Elephant 9, who are joined by Swedish guitarist Reine Fiske for some high-energy psychedelia; American pianist Marc Cary and his Focus Trio mix cool swing with contemporary grooves; and one of the most exciting finds at the event - young Slovenian pianist Kaja Draksler - dazzles with a freewheeling solo set, drawing on Cecil Taylor and contemporary classical influences. Jez's exploration of the festival also uncovers some of the more unusual corners of the music, including jazz harps and chamber choirs.
    no pbi

all the R£ production slackers are on hols or skiving .... not a single programme schedule just an empty idiot iPlayer listing [unasked for, inadequate, and really quite insulting in its adolescent pop music marketing format - ta RW-the exit insult eh? is that what you meant by the problems with metadata in krassical musick?]

aw shit this is awesome if you spent yer yoof in da flamingo or such ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

"No, the Flamingo was much more
    than a club where members of the youth cult
    known as Mod's hanged out, it was the
    precursor of the ethnic melting pot London
    was to become and this was reflected in the
    sounds played within the club. Indeed ask
    any old Mingolian why their anti racist roots
    are so firm; and it is a fact few who were
    Mingo regulars ended up as racists, they
    would not reply with the names of the great
    men and women of the civil rights and anti
    racist movement, nor from having been
    racially abused themselves but because for a
    short period of time their roots lay within that
    grubby Wardor Street basement lovingly
    known to us all as, 'the Mingo'."

Mick Hall/Jackthatcat Blog.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

A quick note to Calum. I notice every week that you take a shot at those programmes that do not produce pre-broadcast information. The reason I post the JRR playlist here is that the system that transmits the programmes generates the playlist as the programmes go out. It is actually impossible to post an advance playlist for these prior to transmission, on the system that has been in use since January. This does not always apply to JLU or Jo3 which are not always prepared for transmission in quite the same way. Nonetheless I think it is rather unfair to criticise programme staff for something they are not directly responsible for.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
        A quick note to Calum. I notice every week that you take a shot at those programmes that do not produce pre-broadcast information. The reason I post the JRR playlist here is that the system that transmits the programmes generates the playlist as the programmes go out. It is actually impossible to post an advance playlist for these prior to transmission, on the system that has been in use since January. This does not always apply to JLU or Jo3 which are not always prepared for transmission in quite the same way. Nonetheless I think it is rather unfair to criticise programme staff for something they are not directly responsible for.
        Presumably the person who changed it last January is.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Presumably the person who changed it last January is.
          I remember in my youth, the JRR track listing would be mailed out two days before on thick folio paper with a silver JRR crest at the top right of the page. Sometimes it would be lightly scented. Orange was very popular. Steve Race once took it round to everyone on his bike when there was a postal strike...

Standards, standards, standards...

BN.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            I remember in my youth, the JRR track listing would be mailed out two days before on thick folio paper with a silver JRR crest at the top right of the page. Sometimes it would be lightly scented. Orange was very popular. Steve Race once took it round to everyone on his bike when there was a postal strike...

Standards, standards, standards...

BN.
            Actually it was lemon scented.

Bitter lemon. Very bitter.
            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

well apologies to any sensitive souls who feel unjustly criticised

i have noticed that some krassikal progs actually have typed info on their web pages prebroadcast with nowt on the techapplesshitethingy

the absence of such is a marked drop in service compared to earlier times and it is to be expected that a serious audience [aficionados?] would really notice the fall eh .... acquiescence to this sorry state of affairs is unlikely

it is in fact part of the insult that R3 under RW has perpetrated on its serious and loyal audience in pursuit of the transient and ephemeral 'popularity'; with a concomitant noticeable drop in the numbers listening ....

we are all truly grateful for your typed listings Alyn; but is precisely the fact that it can be done and is done on other programmes [EMS as i recall] to yours that makes the policy change such a noisesone and gratuitous insult
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Il ya 70 ans cette semaine, Paris a été libéré

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Interesting current series of articles in the Guardian by Charlotte Higgins on the history and culture of the BBC, its past and present journalistic gutlessness and managerial placeseeking. "When attacked it retreats into a ball like a defensive child". And she's attempting to defend it.

BN.
                  Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 24-08-14, 14:11.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

iirc there is a line in a Lionel Davidson thriller when a Tibetan Buddhist comments that the Chinese invasion does not matter since they will be gone in three thousand years time .... rather how i feel about the Management at Aunt .... but i doubt they know how to survive three thousand days ...

Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 25-08-14, 12:40.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

If there is reincarnation, I hope one has some choice over coming back!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        If there is reincarnation, I hope one has some choice over coming back!
                        Oh, if I had my time again, I wouldn't reincarnate.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

(Terry Pratchett: Mort)
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

as i understand the doctrine choice does not figure; spiritual awareness does ... and one returns with an embodiment fitting to the present embodiment's spiritual worth ... my ambition is to return as a drug resistant bacterium of strict Leninist revolutionary principle and infect the entire global plutocracy with plague ....

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                              as i understand the doctrine choice does not figure; spiritual awareness does ... and one returns with an embodiment fitting to the present embodiment's spiritual worth ... my ambition is to return as a drug resistant bacterium of strict Leninist revolutionary principle and infect the entire global plutocracy with plague ....
                              ''

My understanding is that if you were say a mass murderer in a previous life, you are reborn with that inclination. The point is to travel through successive lives to self awareness and recognition...and hence purity.

Which means that Tony Blair will be on the rides and Big Dipper for a good while yet.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                              X