X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Herbie Hancock

Just came across this. Hope you like . . . but maybe old hat?
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for posting it - three fine musicians, HH is amazing and I especially enjoyed the bass playing.

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
      http://www.ted.com/talks/herbie_hanc..._star_set.html

Just came across this. Hope you like . . . but maybe old hat?
      Yes I like.

While waiting for the experts to pitch in and make informed judgements, and speaking from the top of my head it seems to me this a third phase of Herbie Hancock, in addition to the two I know about.

Phase 1 - pianist with some great bop groups in 50's, 60's - Miles Davis etc
      Phase 2 - his own group playing fusion music "popular" jazz in 60's 70's (no doubt his arm was twisted by the record companies, but for me this was a phase of Jazz much to be regretted.)
      Phase 3 - a consolidation phase as in the clip - which seems to put all his musical experiences into one performance. And he seems to be enjoying it, rather than playing what he thinks the audience might like.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

thanks for that pianorak

this is a favourite Hancock album of mine, not nearly as famous as many of his others, made in 1964 it captures the creativity of the young artists in full flow in a completely improvised recording .....

fusion music and the 'pop' of jazz in the 70s and 80s has much in it to celebrate as well as deplore .... Hancock's work in this period is very fine whatever you want to call it ... i am still addicted to the vocoder hits ...
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
        X