Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Jimmy Scott 1925 2014

Graun Obit

NYT

... a singer's singer
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Saw this...the album that Ray Charles produced and played (wonderful) piano on is stunning...."Falling in Love". On Ray's Tangerine label or an Ace CD.

There is also a very good 60s Atlantic album with Junior Mance and Le Fathead. His take on the old Ruby and the Romantics "Our Day will come" is heartbreaking.

An amazing life against the odds. RIP.

BN.
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 14-06-14, 11:15.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Bluesnik

I've got one of his later albums that had Fathead and Hank Crawford on it. He was featured on a Radio 3 programme and I was fascinated by him. By and large I don't like vintage singers ( excluding Ray Charles, Jimmy Rushing, Jimmy Witherspoon, etc) and prefer something more contemporary yet Jimmy Scott was the real deal. Peculiar to think that he owed a lot of his recent attention due to enthusiastic comments by Madonna as you never equate her with having any musical taste - even before she morphed in to an embarrassing Mum.

I was staggered to see an advertisement for Gregory Porter's new CD on TV last night. I love the up-tempo tracks on his last effort but usually skip the more romantic tracks as I prefer the snappier numbers. He has a great pianist in his band whose playing reminds me a bit of Andrew Hill - a weird selection for a singer yet like Jimmy Scott, I feel Porter is a genuine jazz musician and not a pop artist doing jazz. (I.e. He would probably pass the Trevor Cooper Jazz singer acid test.)

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Nancy Wilson did a lot to make the world aware of Jimmy Scott in the 60s. In fact she sometimes sounds a great deal like him. Shes someone who doesnt get a lot of attention now.

BN.

"She was the most beautiful pregnant woman I ever saw!" ~ Barry Harris
        Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 14-06-14, 19:23.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

"She was the most beautiful pregnant woman I ever saw!" ~ Barry Harris
          A real swell baby!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Comment

Working...
              X