DISC
    Artist Friedrich Gulda
    Title Teheran
    Composer Gulda
    Album Friedrich Gulda and His Sextet at Birdland
    Label Fresh Sound
    Number 648 Track 13
    Duration 4.46
    Performers Idrees Sulieman, t; Jimmy Cleveland, tb; Phil Woods, as; Seldon Powell, ts; Friedrich Gulda, p; Aaron Bell, b; Nick Stabulas, d.

DISC
    Artist Don Byron
    Title Blue Bubbles
    Composer Ellington
    Album Bug Music
    Label Nonesuch
    Number 755979438-2 Track 15
    Duration 3.24
    Performers Don Byron, cl; Uri Caine, p. 1996.

DISC
    Artist Chet Baker
    Title Just Friends
    Composer Klenner / Lewis
    Album Let’s Get Lost
    Label Pacific Jazz
    Number CDP 7 92932 2 Track 10
    Duration 2.45
    Performers: Chet Baker, t, v; Russ Freeman, p; Carson Smith, b; Bob Neel, d. 7 March 1955.

DISC
    Artist Gene Harris
    Title Will You Still Be Mine
    Composer Adair / Dennis
    Album Swingin’ The Blues
    Label Concord
    Number 269 CD1 Track 6
    Duration 9.52
    Performers: Gene Harris, p; Ron Eschete, g; Luther Hughes, b; Harold Jones, d. 1991

DISC
    Artist James P Johnson Blue Note Jazzmen
    Title After You’ve Gone
    Composer Turner Layton
    Album ?
    Label Blue Note
    Number ?
    Duration 4.25
    Performers: Sidney De Paris (trumpet); Vic Dickenson (trombone); Ben Webster (tenor sax); James P. Johnson (piano); Jimmy Shirley (guitar); John Simmons (bass); Sidney Catlett (drums)

DISC
    Artist Charleston Chasers
    Title California Here I Come
    Composer De Sylva / Meyer
    Album Just Imagine
    Label Lake
    Number LACD 275 Track 1
    Duration 3.46
    Performers: including Andy Hillier tb; Nick White, James Evans, reeds; Martin Litton, p; Martin Wheatley, bj, g; Debbie Arthurs, d. Feb 2009

DISC
    Artist James Reese Europe’s 369th Infantry Hellfighters Band
    Title That Moanin’ Trombone
    Composer Europe
    Album Lieut Jim Europe’s 369th Hellfighters Band Complete Recordings
    Label
    Number Track 1
    Duration 2.54
    Performers James Europe, dir; Frank De Braithe, Russell Smith, Pops Foster, Jake Porter, t; Dope Andrews, Herb Flemming, tb; Pinkhead Parker, as; Noble Sissle, vn, v; Battle Axe Kenny, d. 7 March 1919.

DISC
    Artist Louis Armstrong
    Title West End Blues
    Composer Oliver
    Album The Okeh Columbia and RCA Victor Recordings 1925-1933
    Label Sony
    Number 86979 45652 CD 4 Track 4
    Duration 3.15
    Performers Louis Armstrong, c; Jimmy Strong, cl; Fred Robinson, tb; Earl Hines, p; Mancy Carr,bj; Zutty Singleton, d. 28 June 1928

DISC
    Artist Howard Alden
    Title Flying Down To Rio
    Composer Eliscu / Kahn / Youmans
    Album Mysterioso
    Label Concord
    Number 4487 Track 3
    Duration 4.22
    Performers: Howard Alden, g; Frank Tate, b; Keith Copeland, d. 1991

DISC
    Artist Joe Harriott with Tony Kinsey
    Title Nice Work If You Can Get It
    Composer Gershwin
    Album Joe Harriott Story
    Label Proper
    Number Properbox 160 CD 1 Track 13
    Duration 2.51
    Performers: Joe Harriott, as; Bill Le Sage, vib; Sammy Stokes, b; Tony Kinsey, d. 22 Sep 1954.

DISC
    Artist Woody Herman
    Title Opus De Funk / Blue Flame
    Composer Silver / Noble, Bishop, Corday; arr Nat Pierce
    Album Woody’s Winners
    Label Columbia
    Number CS9326 S2 Track 3
    Duration 10.37
    Performers: Dusko Goykevich, Bill Chase, Don Rader, Gerry Lamy Bobby Shew, t; Frank Tesinsky, Don Doane, Henry Southall, tb; Woody Herman, cl, as; Sal Nistico, Andrew McGhee, Gary Klein, Tom Anastas, reeds; Nat Pierce, p; Tony Leonardi, b; Ronnie Zito, d; June 1965.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Many thanks for posting this Alyn
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      Many thanks for posting this Alyn
      Looks good....any program with a "Dope Andrews" in it has to be worth a listen.

BN.

And..."Pinkhead Parker" Doesn't he work on Cardiff buses?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Swansea innit .... drives a mini cab as i recall big fan of Jerry Lee ...
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Swansea innit .... drives a mini cab as i recall big fan of Jerry Lee ...
          So much sun, so little hair....the fate of many an ageing Welsh ted.

BN.

and others.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

yeah man, get a hat, man, a hat

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

I thought the selections tonight were exceptional. The opening track was a revelation but I loved the Byron / Caine collaboration. Probably made Bluesnik spill his cocoa all over this ducks but I thought that it was hugely fun. I love Byron's informed yet infectious plunges in to the more obscure corners of music whether it is Raymond Scott or "Georgia Tom" Dorsey.

The track which amazed me was the James Reese Europe record. What was staggering that the lady who had the Chet Baker record requested for her was born before this record was made. I was impressed by the sound quality but a quick look through the line up shows that it included the legendary jazz bassist Pops Foster as well as future band leader Noble Sissle in the line up. Here is a link to the Ken Burns programme which has some footage of Europe's band - I wasn't aware that so much existed.

Europe was significantly involved in establishing a music union for black musicians (I believe that Coleman Hawkins was an early recruit) and I think he would have been an extremely important figure in jazz in the 20's and 30's. I'm pleased someone requested that track as I found it fascinating.

The Gene Harris track was also smoking and the Kinsey track curious. There was little to suggest how good Harriott would become from this early offering yet I think he was much better the rest of this band even at this early stage. you still get the impression that British jazz musicians were still trying to get to grips with the music in the early 1950's.

The other curious question I have regards the final track which comes from a particularly good album by Woody Herman. Herman makes a reference to the piano solo being by Mary Lou Williams which might have perplexed the audience as it was actually Nat Pierce. I'm sure that I've read that this was something of an "in joke" at the time and related to MLW's having a boastful nature which put her at odds with a lot of her contemporaries. Probably the only people who got the joke were the musicians. I've read before that she had a huge ego yet , like Herbie Nichols, it's funny how she has transcended her era so she probably is far more respected these days as a great pianist and composer than she was in 1965.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Ive got an old tape of Motian, Lovano and Frisell at the Barbican. Frisell introduces himself as "Barney Kessel". Always makes me smile.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                  Herman makes a reference to the piano solo being by Mary Lou Williams which might have perplexed the audience as it was actually Nat Pierce. I'm sure that I've read that this was something of an "in joke" at the time and related to MLW's having a boastful nature which put her at odds with a lot of her contemporaries. Probably the only people who got the joke were the musicians. I've read before that she had a huge ego yet , like Herbie Nichols, it's funny how she has transcended her era so she probably is far more respected these days as a great pianist and composer than she was in 1965.
                  And who can blame Mary Lou Williamson? She did traverse styles and eras from sounding a bit like Earl Hines to playing with Cecil Taylor, and as a modern blueser was probably equalled only by Paul Bley. Oh and speaking of huge ego, she must have had huge hands for a woman - she stretches open tenths with her right hand, which is more than I can.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

SA

MLW's career spanned an amazing range of jazz history and she is a musician who still commands respect from contemporary jazz musicians as diverse as Dave Douglas and Geri Allen. Amazing to think that she first recorded as a 16 year old with Jeanette & her Synco Jazzers in 1927 when she was still Mary Lou Burleigh but has already been performing for a number of years by that stage. For me, her stand out work stems from the recordings made with Andy Kirk which represents some of the finest jazz composition of the 1930's. I'm not too familiar with her later material even though I am aware of her associations with Bud Powell, Thelonious Monk and Cecil Taylor. I'm not too sure that this isn't an over-emphasis as Marion McPartland could equally be argued to be associated with every jazz pianist of note from the "Modern" era. Some of MLW's latest writing was pretty adventurous even if her charts for Ellington show a loss of character from the charts she wrote for the smaller, Kirk ensemble.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Cheers Alyn

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                        • Nov 2010

Calum
                        Thanks always good to remember Buck. As it turns out, we can link two of this week's threads together, because at the London Jazz Festival on 18 Nov the Buck Clayton Legacy Band is exploring the Ellington small group repertoire, live at Pizza Express Dean St.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

...fancy a birthday treat S_A?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Talking Duke...

I watched "Paris Blues" last night for the first time all the way thro since 1961. Highly scenic with Paul Newman and Sidney etc. but rubbish despite the Ellington band. "Five different drummers and they still couldn't swing that band" ~ Stanley Dance. Two of those drummers being Philly Jo Jo and Max Roach.

"What the fk was that all about?" Paul Newman after they had finished the movie.

Amen Paul.

BN.

The title track is rather good and "moody' with Les Spann added on flute.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

...fancy a birthday treat S_A?
                              No - it stays where it belongs for me, but thanks all the same Calum.

Comment

Working...
                              X