X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

One for Ian

We met two smashing ladies on the Overground home from sunny Dalston last Tuesday. They hadn't been at the Vortex for Mark Lockheart, Jasper Hoiby and Liam Noble, as happens, but one of them turned out to be mum to Maddy Carty whose name, like the Hunchback of Notre Dame's in that awful joke, rang a bell - no NOT Maggie but Maddy Carty - the Irish name in my stereotypical mind signalling a folk-type singer. The link on her site suggests a pop crossover type act, from which any popular influences due for impacting jazz I would imagine the most likely to emanate; and knowing your interest in this area...

However, the street demo for which her mum passed us a leaflet, is publicised at the end of a folky agitprop song she sings with guitar backing, which I'm linking to on the World Music board, so as to avoid the scoffing it would probably enjoin on this one.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

SA

I really like this track albeit it has nothing to do with jazz. Doing a little more research I found out that the horns on the single were sampled from the Satalite's version of "Naked City."

This got me doing a bit more research last night and I discovered the wonderful Toots and the Maytals. I knew the song but wasn't aware who had recorded it. Perfect music for sunny Sunday afternoons.....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
    X